Can you get dementia in your 20's or 30's

I was just wondering whether people can develop types of dementia's i.e alzheimer's disease etc in your 20's or 30's?

It's just that a friend of mine who is 28 is having a alot of trouble with their memory recently, for example if it's sunday they might think it's friday then remember that it is sunday and not friday, they forget people's name's etc and they are a bit concerned.

I know that dementia usually only occurs in older people like people in their 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's etc, i've never known anyone at a young age to develop it and just wondered if it is possible as my friend seems to be thinking they have the worst thing possible although i know memory problems can be caused by a number of things.

I have told my friend to go to their GP for some help and advice.

Hi, it is very unlikely to be dementia but he should consult a doctor, there are a number of neurological disorders that display the symptoms you have described, it may just be a vitamin deficiency. Worse case scenario it is dementia he can get treatment in its early stages. Im no doctor, but have just asked my sister who has been a nurse for years dealing with neurological disease and treatments. Frog march him to the doctors if you have to, im sure he will be fine, but it needs ruling out.

^^^What they said.

It could be anything from malnutrition to all sorts of neurological conditions, diabetes or (extremely rarely) dementia.

Next step the GP.

Anyways yes you can get dementia in your 20's I was recently diagnosed with Dementia and I am 24 years old now granted they don't know the cause of it yet but their is no obvious cause so they are still waiting on my test results for my dementia. I'm waiting on results from an EEG an MRI an CAT Scan and a field vision test so yes it does happen but it is rare.

I never know what day it is and have never remembered anyones name.

I can however quote word for word speeches made by various politicos as far back as the 60s, and give constitutional interpretations based on memory alone.

It depends what one considers important enough to remember

... as my friend seems to be thinking they have the worst thing possible ...

That's normal. How many people have found an unexpected new cyst or ganglion and thought, "Oh my God it's cancer?"

Yes, it is possible to develop dementia at any age - even as a child, come to that. It's fantastically unlikely and there are any number of other possible causes, so he should see a doctor to put his own mind at rest if nothing else. Nobody's going to be happy with "almost certainly not dementia" until they visit a doctor and have the "almost" removed.

Anyways yes you can get dementia in your 20's I was recently diagnosed with Dementia and I am 24 years old now granted they don't know the cause of it yet but their is no obvious cause so they are still waiting on my test results for my dementia. I'm waiting on results from an EEG an MRI an CAT Scan and a field vision test so yes it does happen but it is rare.

That must be such a frightening diagnosis for you and your family Quinamina. I hope you'll have success with the drugs that are increasingly coming on to the market which have proof that they arrest the progress of the condition. It must be very hard to plan for your future in your position.

I too was diagnosed with a condition that I was 40 years too young to have (in my case I didn't fit any of the criteria for getting it either). It's so demoralising when all of the support is aimed at people who are so unlike you that there is little practical help that is applicable to you.

hia can anybody give me any advice please . i am 23 and suffer from bad memory loss i have been to the doctors but they just give me cilatopram and say im depressed .i have 2 children and i am getting really worried i keep leaving the cooker on when i use it and the taps running etc i get confused when i am doing things i forget what i was doing if it wasnt for my partner i dont no what we would do he has to chek the cooker etc when iv finished does any body no what i could do thanks anna 123

hia can anybody give me any advice please . i am 23 and suffer from bad memory loss i have been to the doctors but they just give me cilatopram and say im depressed .i have 2 children and i am getting really worried i keep leaving the cooker on when i use it and the taps running etc i get confused when i am doing things i forget what i was doing if it wasnt for my partner i dont no what we would do he has to chek the cooker etc when iv finished does any body no what i could do thanks anna 123

Have a talk with a professional, about it, and see if they can get some help and support in place for you. For example, MIND, in Nether Edge ( Lawton Tonge House 57 Wostenholm Road, Sheffield S7 1LE 0114 258 4489) who are far more in the "Know" about treatments/ support available.

Hope you go on ok.

This must be really worrying for you Anna and I hope your family are doing their utmost to help you.

Depression can cause enormous problems with memory loss, as can all sorts of things from even very subtle brain injury to premature menopause.

Unfortunately nobody other than a suitably experienced medical professional can assess you and help you with it as nobody else can get enough information from examining you. I'd suggest you ask for a referral to a mental health unit from your GP.

hi thanks for your replys i will book myself in the doctors monday and demand to be refered i need to get this sorted thanks for all your help

Get it sorted! Pester your mate to get a check up. You'll worry yourself sick otherwise. That's what health professionals are for. Good Luck

Edited by Bedders