Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Address scam going on in Sheffield area.

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield News & Discussions

Reply To Topic

10-07-2007, 10:28   #1
mojo1
Ms Mayhem

Total Posts: 11,850
Hi all, Just had the following emailed to me to pass on to you lot

'Hi All

I’m writing to let you know about a potential crime that happened to me personally this morning.

We heard the parcel delivery postman pull up outside the house first thing this morning, so we ran downstairs to meet him. Instead of coming to the door, he was intercepted by a black guy standing at our gate: they were talking and then the guy signed for the delivery. I said ‘hang on a minute, what’s going on?’ The guy said the delivery was for him, and the name on the delivery was ‘John MacDonald’. I asked what the address was, and the postman confirmed it was our address. I confirmed that there was no-one of that name living at our address. The guy said he lived round here, and I confirmed to the postman that I knew all our neighbours, and this guy wasn’t one of them. The postman took the parcel off him and the guy walked off.

I’ve spoken to our local sorting office who confirmed that there is a mobile phone scam going on in the area. The mobile gets ordered to your home address and the delivery is intercepted and signed for. The bills then come in for a mobile you know nothing about. I have spoken to South Yorkshire police to get the incident logged and they have said they will be following it up.

Please be vigilant and let all your friends and neighbours aware so that they don’t get caught out.'

So be carefull chaps and I hope this is usefull
_______
Mentally unstable like a fox!
Facebook
10-07-2007, 11:04   #2
Bunderson

Total Posts: 285
So let me get this straight. Your local sorting office knows of this scam and has never thought of telling the post men to only deliver the parcel to somebody INSIDE the house?

As far as I was aware, they don't just give mail to anybody stading on the street anyway.

Sounds like a hoax email to me. Don't be duped.
10-07-2007, 11:09   #3
sarah1

Total Posts: 2,290
mojo1..
Thanks for your concern luvvy, but this has been doing the rounds for a couple of years now..
It is infact a hoax and I've lost count of how many times I've received it in my mail box..
It's just another one of those stupid change letter things that relys on folks just passing it on and on and on..
_______
Before you ask for anything more, be sure to realise what you already have..
10-07-2007, 11:12   #4
tia1803

Total Posts: 1,159
i am confused!!!!!
are you saying the above didnt happen???
10-07-2007, 11:13   #5
sarah1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tia1803 View Post
i am confused!!!!!
are you saying the above didnt happen???
Read my post above..
_______
10-07-2007, 11:16   #6
Bunderson

No it didn't happen.
10-07-2007, 11:17   #7
tia1803

Total Posts: 1,159
what was and is the point of posting something like that??!!!!

pointless to me as they aint gaining anything from it
10-07-2007, 11:23   #8
sarah1

HAVE A LOOK HERE
_______
10-07-2007, 11:30   #9
Bunderson

It's to see how far they can take it. Will it come back to them from somebody else? It's extremely sad but some people actually don't have anything better to do.

===DELETE THREAD===
10-07-2007, 11:32   #10
mojo1
Ms Mayhem

Total Posts: 11,850
Not a hoax apparently. It Did Actually happen to a colleague of my Bf this morning, make of it what you will.
_______
Mentally unstable like a fox!
Facebook
10-07-2007, 11:47   #11
djelibeybi

Total Posts: 2,588
If anyone receives an EM warning of anything, they should do what I do:

check it out on the Hoax Slayer website....

Hoax Slayer search page

My brother's an IT Supervisor responsible for the company network system, and uses this site regularly. It saves cluttering up your mates' Inboxes and feeling a bit of a dilly when it comes to light it's all bullfrogs.
_______
www.dizzytimes.com supporting sufferers of balance disorders
10-07-2007, 11:58   #12
djelibeybi

Total Posts: 2,588
For what it's worth, I've had a look on Hoax Slayer, and I can't find it listed.

Criminals do actually work in ways like this, and if it is true, then the Postie was right to take the parcel back, but shouldn't attempt to deliver anything to someone outside the house....basic security.
_______
www.dizzytimes.com supporting sufferers of balance disorders
10-07-2007, 13:09   #13
irenewilde
Account Closed

Total Posts: 5,502
If it was true which I don't believe, how did the guy at the gate know *when* the parcel van was due to turn up? Wouldn't someone hanging outside your house all day long arouse a little suspicion? And I also don't believe the postman wouldn't bring it to the door. In my experience, they're pretty good like that.
10-07-2007, 13:50   #14
gce1

Total Posts: 13
I dont know if the above story is true or not, but this scam is real, nigerians are renting houses and getting mobile phones delivered to them and also the neighbours addresses too, they know when the phones are to be delivered s they are next day delivery! i know its real as it has happened on a couple of my properties
10-07-2007, 14:52   #15
Ibby

Total Posts: 153
Guys, I can confirm this shi*z does happen and has happened to my properties.

Simple advice: be extremely vigilant!

P.S if the OP is a hoax, how do I know you guys aren’t fake too?
11-07-2007, 08:07   #16
summer1955

Total Posts: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunderson View Post
As far as I was aware, they don't just give mail to anybody stading on the street anyway.
no they are not suppose to give you mail outside your home, this is going back about 5 years and i had just come back from shopping and met the postman following me to my door i asked for my mail and he would not give it to me until i opened my front door, he told me that its the rule that he cant give out mail only threw letterbox or if someone is inside the house to recieve it.
11-07-2007, 10:18   #17
Grahame
Account Closed

Total Posts: 20,315
We used to have this happen regularly. Someone would go into one of the shops and order a TV and VCR and pay a small deposit. The equipment might be worth £600 to £800. When the driver delivered the equipment he would either be intercepted in the way described, or they would give a false address.

This led to the company introducing all sorts of security checks including asking the customer for ID.
11-07-2007, 11:36   #18
kate55

Total Posts: 1,125
I got the exact same email this morning also.
11-07-2007, 11:40   #19
Bunderson

OK, to settle it, tell us where this happened so we can check with the Police. Then we'll have confirmation and can all be on our guard.
11-07-2007, 14:43   #20
faloola

Total Posts: 164
Why would you want to waste your time and check with the police?! If someone on here says it happened then why not believe them? The person just put this on to help you. I understand that there are hoaxes about on email but you can't get them all, and even if it is a hoax how can it hurt anyone to be aware that it might happen. I know postmen shouldn't give mail to anyone outside the house but its happened to me several times if i'm rushing out and catch him and he always gives it me. But now I have read this I will ask him not to give mail to anyone other than me or post it through my letter box. Hoax or no hoax it has made me more aware.
Reply To Topic