B&Q Darnall - Closing Down?

This is in today's Telegraph planning applications.

Application under Section 73 to vary condition no.17 (restriction on goods for sale to allow for use as a foodstore) imposed by 04/02288/FUL for the erection of non-food retail unit, garden centre, greenhouse, canopy, builders yard, car parking, access road & associated landscaping works (full planning) and erection of industrial unit (outline planning)

Does this mean that they want to sell it off for use as a supermarket ?

Anyone work there know anything ?

I worked for a fashion and home care company some years ago and we applied for this on all our stores as its easier to move the buildings if need be and also covers you for cafes and coffee shops.So this may be what they are doing.

Application under Section 73 to vary condition no.17 (restriction on goods for sale to allow for use as a foodstore) imposed by 04/02288/FUL for the erection of non-food retail unit, garden centre, greenhouse, canopy, builders yard, car parking, access road & associated landscaping works (full planning) and erection of industrial unit (outline planning)

Not sure about this case but in the area I come from (Bournemouth) a brand new B&Q was built a really huge one about a couple of years ago today its now a general purpose store selling a variety of things.

Maybe they are opening a cafe?

I Hope it is sold off as a supermarket. Since the closure of Morrisons at Darnall the area has been without a decent place to get essentials for a lot of local people. The new Lidl is nothing but a joke with no emphasis on customer requirements or service. Darnall has a good number of pensioners on the Greenland Estate which Lidl does not cater for. I am hoping Darnall gets the facility it needs not just somewhere to buy a new bathroom at 8pm.

Maybe they are opening a cafe?

They already have one!

To me, this seems like they are varying a condition allowing them to use the site as a foodstore - the replacement condition being that a non-food retail unit will be erected on the site (which is already the case)

Maybe B&Q didn't have the proper paperwork and they had to readvertise the public notice from when the store was built.

What do you all think?

I have heard they are looking to scale down the B&Q, so opening other units would make sense.

I have heard they are looking to scale down the B&Q, so opening other units would make sense.

Yeah that would make sense in what the notice is saying.

B&Q Darnall are going to be scaled down and they are going to rent off a portion of the store to another retailer.

Up until the begining of this month, they had only opened it up to Non-Food Retailers, but now it is open to all.

There is not going to be any job losses and they will still off all the services just at a reduced stock holding, (the rest will be special order). They recently did this to another store and it has worked.

Honest i have inside information.;)

It infuriates me that the spell the store on their website and till receipts Darnell

Hhhmm- tesco building a big store there rings a bell, not sure why though- ill keep thinking!