Sheffield and Rotherham area Railway Scrapyards in the 1960s

Hello,

I am creating on online map showing the whereabouts of the scrapyards that were involved breaking up British Railways steam locomotives.

I would like to know if anybody can provide addresses, OS Grid References, or lat/lon details for the following yards/areas/businesses:-

Slag Reduction - Orgreave Tip

Peter Wood (Barlborough Metals/British Steel/Slag Reduction) - Holmes Scrapyard, The Ickles

Thomas Ward - Weedon Street, Attercliffe

" " " " - Beighton

" " " " - Killamarsh

Rhodes - Saville Street

W & F Smith (Station Steel) - Station Road, Ecclesfield

G Cohen - Sheffield (A bit vague that one!)

Cox & Danks - Wadsley Bridge

Marple & Gillott - Stevenson Road

Walter Heselwood - " " "

Slater Brothers - Beighton

Arnott Young - Parkgate, Rotherham

W. George - Wath-on-Dearne

(phew)

If anyone can help with details, photographs or even reminiscences of working for the companies, I'd be very grateful.

Thankyou.

Very Best Wishes,

Bob.

I think the Beighton one I used to know has gone now:

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=53.348053&lon=-1.330101&z=19.4&r=0&src=ggl

The old Orgreave sidings and sheds were great. I remember going sometime in the mid to late 80's and playing on the coal trucks on the sidings and then sneaking into the Orgreave site over the bridge shown on the FlashEarth link below and getting into an old shed full of diesels!

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=53.382541&lon=-1.359382&z=18.5&r=0&src=ggl

Thanks for those two links. :)

Very Best Wishes,

Bob.

No worries. Hope you managed to find the recent railway yard photos on the site I PMed you.

Hello,

I've only had a brief look, MOD Kineton I think it was.

Very Best Wishes,

Bob.

Hi Bristolian, I worked on the railway for a number of years during the 50's, in the area you are interested in, as a fireman. I went thro' the your list and tried to get the memory going. Obviously there wasn't much breaking up of locos back then, at least not that I knew of. But I remember some of the locations of a couple of scrapyards.

The name Holmes was the location of a signal box on the main Sheffield-Leeds route, almost in Masboro', near Rotherham, at OS415925, sheet111.

There was a 'triangle' there, where the goods line turned South toward Chesterfield, we called it the old road. Just to the East of the grid reference was a sizable scrapyard belonging to, I believe, Tommy Wards.

Attercliffe Yard was at 375891 sheet 111.

If I'd known I was going to have to remember scrapyards of 50years ago, I'd have paid more attention.

Hello Texas,

Thankyou very much for your post. I'd love to read more of your firing days!.

Was the scrapyard at Holmes in the triangle or to the UP (East) side of the 'old road', where C. F. Booth's scrapyard is now?

Was the Attercliffe Yard south of the river, to the left of Stevenson Road, immediately above East Coast Road? Breakers Marple and Gillott broke a very few steam locos at their Attercliffe yard, which I presume is that to the left of Stevenson Road. Walter Heselwood also had a yard off of Stevenson Road somewhere.

Many thanks again.

Very Best Wishes,

Bob.

Hello again,

This is the link to the map I'm creating. tinyurl.com/32dv2f

If anybody can provide more information, or corrections, please let me know!

My email address is we1330ATyahoo.co.uk , please remove the 'AT' and replace with '@'.

Many thanks,

Bob.

Regarding the scrapyard at Holmes, it was on the upside of the old road. I cant really recollect what was actually in the triangle.

Regarding Attercliffe Yard, I think the scrapyard was to the North of the river. You could spit into it from Grimesthorpe Shed. On OS sheet 111, you can see where the railway line went into Attercliffe yard, just at the beginning of the name Brightside. Grimesthorpe loco yard was where the 'B' is. Well, that was the loco repair shops, the actual yard was to the NE of the'B'. Sorry but the names Stevenson Road and East Coast Road dont mean a thing to me.

Hello Texas,

Unfortunately, I don't have the OS Map sheet 111, so all I can do is look at Get-A-Map on the OS website, which gives you a small 2km square window to look at. From looking at the online map of mine, http://tinyurl.com/32dv2f, there could well have been a yard on the central 'island' off of Brightside Lane. I have provisionally marked the centre area of the scrapyards with a '50' mark on my map. Stevenson Road runs roughly parallel to the main line running approximately North - South, alongside the siding running southwards from the Junction at Brightside. East Coast Road runs eastwards off of Brightside Lane, roughly at the bottom end of the scrapyards alongside Stevenson Road, and then turns Southwards onto Faraday Road.

The yard to the Up side of the 'old road' does seem to equate to that which is now occupied by C. F. Booth.

Very Best Wishes,

Bob.

A bit further afield was Steelbreakers at Chesterfield.

Hello Retep,

Thankyou. I already have that site, it's number 19 on my map.

If you have any other information, I'd be very grateful.

Very Best Wishes,

Bob.