Is it right for a parent to impose their religious beliefs on their child?

I was wondering what people's opinions were (for or against) concerning the imposing of religious beliefs/practices on their children. Is this acceptable, or should the child be left to make its own mind up?

Its never right to impose religious beliefs on anyone

I was wondering what people's opinions were (for or against) concerning the imposing of religious beliefs/practices on their children. Is this acceptable, or should the child be left to make its own mind up?

How do you define "Imposing"?

I was brought up in a Christian household, and was encouraged to take the beliefs as my own. I was never forced and came to my own decisions about things, which was to become a Christian (as I wasn't one until I made the commitment).

Although how could a child be brought up with no external influence?

This is a very difficult question to try and answer.

Parents have a legal right to bring up their children in a religion of their choice. In many Christian, Jewish and Muslim households, by way of example, families observe various religious practices - in which the children also participate. This gives the family a sense of cohesiveness, and instils moral values in the children - which is to be applauded.

However, I feel that religious belief is something that ought to be an informed choice. I therefore disagree, for example, with infant baptism, and also Jewish circumcision of young boys, on principle.

I suppose that despite my personal views, parents are free to bring up their children as they wish, including religious instruction.

Im Pagan, but i dont impose my beleifs on my kids or anyone. i talk to my kids about what i beleive they ask questions and thats that. I am not of the beleif of alot of people that what they beleive is the bee all and end all. I truely beleive everyone has the right to beleive in what they like as long as they are happy and no one else is hurt as a result.

i do not prescribe however to the beleifs that cause harm and expect that person to give away there freedom in order to beleive...... no ones God/Goddess would dream of asking someone to sacrifice or hurt in their name if they were the real deal :)

No it isn't.

But I see no practical way it can be avoided.

Even being non religious doesn't help, as if I were silly enough to have children I would probably instil in them a contempt of religion and an appreciation of humanism and scientific method.

How do you define "Imposing"?

I was brought up in a Christian household, and was encouraged to take the beliefs as my own. I was never forced and came to my own decisions about things, which was to become a Christian (as I wasn't one until I made the commitment).

Although how could a child be brought up with no external influence?

Like the vast majority of religious people, presumably after much study and contemplation of the various religions on offer, you claim to have come to your own decision and, in your case, became a Christian.

Isn't it amazing that, after following the same thought processes, the children of Muslim families become Muslims, the children of Hindu families become Hindus ...

Ok, a lot of people will probably disapprove and I can see where they're coming from..

But imposing atheism is somehow similar to imposing a religion, isn't it?

In a way it's imposing the belief that there is NO God.

Well, as an atheist I WON'T let my child sit in school assemblies where headteachers are inviting the children to pray or mentioning their duties as Christians.

To me it's wrong, and non-negotiable.

To some extent though, I think that refusing to have my child influenced by the teaching staff is a way of letting them decide for themselves.

Children get knowledge from their teachers, they are often role models too, they learn so much from them that it would be too easy for little ones to think " Ok, they're right about maths, science, and lots of other things, surely they're right in their faith too".

When the time comes I would tell my kid that I don't believe in any God, and although I won't put any pressure on him to agree with me, I will probably be a bit taken aback if he becomes religious.

I know it doesn't make me sound very tolerant but I would be a hypocrite if I pretended otherwise.

Imposing sounds too harsh, almost as if you were deliberately doing something against ones will.

You could argue that, is it ok for parents to impose their moral beliefs on a child etc etc. Parents are there to guide and bring up their child in the way that probably mirrors their own beliefs etc and if the parents are religious then why would it be a crime to bring the children up following the same religion and beliefs etc.

I think the dividing line as far as I'm concerned is whether parents instill in their children not just their moral views but also the belief that questioning things, choosing to choose your own direction, freedom to dissent, opt out etc are all acceptable. Raising children with a bias towards your own moral beliefs is unavoidable and not something I have an issue with per se, but indoctrinating children with the notion that This is THE Truth, anyone who disagrees is either bad or to be pitied, second class, etc. Also I take issue with any religious teaching or influence that threatens punishment or rejection for not blindly obeying and toeing the line.

Of course people should be left to make their own mind up. In my experience the harder you try to push someone the more they rebel.

Of course people should be left to make their own mind up. In my experience the harder you try to push someone the more they rebel.
Very wise and of course quite correct. we've not even had our child christened. If he feels he wants to do it when hes older it'll be his decision and he'll enjoy it and remember it