Sheffield Forum

Oil leak on my vauxhall corsa

Home > General > General Discussions

Reply To Topic

28-03-2007, 10:27   #1
Jillybabes

Total Posts: 965
It started leaking on monday and not just a slow drip but a long trail appeared on the pavement after parking on the drive indicating a big leak. I went out yesterday and the oil light was flashing away and the engine was getting louder so I have booked it into the garage for a check. I haven't had much luck with this car since buying it in September, the car is only 6 years old and I have had numerous things happen such as wheel trims pinched, wing mirror knocked off, window smashed, two punctures to name but a few. Does anyone know what I can expect to have to fork out to fix this problem now, im fed up!!!
28-03-2007, 10:29   #2
cgksheff

Total Posts: 20,681
Are you topping the oil up?
28-03-2007, 10:33   #3
sccsux
Account Closed

Total Posts: 14,520
Is the oil coming from the top or bottom of the engine?

If it's the bottom, then it could be the sump plug (may have vibrated loose/snapped).
28-03-2007, 10:36   #4
SupraSteve
Quick

Total Posts: 2,307
If the oil light is on, you're damaging the engine by continuing to drive it(probably VERY seriously by the sounds of things). So it'll cost you a new car if you continue!

If it really is leaking a lot, then before every time you drive it you MUST check the level level and top it up. Then get it to a garage ASAP.

I can't be much more help than that as there are literally a hundreds of potential reasons why you could be losing oil - some will cost nothing to fix and some will cost you thousands. You obviously don't have any mechanical knowledge (no offence, just stating the facts) so I won't start suggesting things to check.... like if your sump plug is still there(!).... for example - as they won't mean anything and I doubt you want ot go climbing about on the floor under the car?

Best of luck getting it sorted - but really, DON'T drive it with low/no oil - it's the single most important thing to your car and your engine WILL seize up and destroy itself if it doesn't get enough. HTH.
28-03-2007, 10:41   #5
Jillybabes

Im not driving it now cos I know I will cause more damage, I will top up the oil before taking it to the garage this friday, garage only up the road, I dont know where the leak is coming from, I know nothing about cars being a woman (lol) but I know I must not drive it with this problem or I could make it worse.
28-03-2007, 11:33   #6
SupraSteve
Quick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillybabes View Post
Im not driving it now cos I know I will cause more damage, I will top up the oil before taking it to the garage this friday, garage only up the road, I dont know where the leak is coming from, I know nothing about cars being a woman (lol) but I know I must not drive it with this problem or I could make it worse.
Sensible girl
Like I say, it could be any one of dozens and dozens of things.
If you couuld get under it easily then you might be able to spot where it is coming from and then you/we might be able to work out what the problem was was and then you might be able to do something about it without going to a garage.
...there are a lot of unlikely links there!

Sod that, just avoid doing any (more) damage to it and go to a reputable garage asap instead!
28-03-2007, 14:50   #7
mikey10

Total Posts: 3,008
Quote:
It started leaking on monday and not just a slow drip but a long trail appeared on the pavement after parking on the drive indicating a big leak. I went out yesterday and the oil light was flashing away and the engine was getting louder so I have booked it into the garage for a check. I haven't had much luck with this car since buying it in September, the car is only 6 years old and I have had numerous things happen such as wheel trims pinched, wing mirror knocked off, window smashed, two punctures to name but a few. Does anyone know what I can expect to have to fork out to fix this problem now, im fed up!!!
its part of the spec for a corsa
Sponsored Links
28-03-2007, 18:02   #8
Jillybabes

What is that supposed to mean exactly?????
28-03-2007, 18:05   #9
Darbees

Total Posts: 8,895
Quote:
I I went out yesterday and the oil light was flashing away and the engine was getting louder (
That made me suck air through my teeth and I'm not even a mechanic.
30-03-2007, 09:10   #10
Jillybabes

Well I've taken it to the garage and just found out whats causing the problem, its the oil pressure switch which was leaking, gonna cost £31 quid which isnt too bad, just hope nothing else goes wrong now (touch wood).
30-03-2007, 09:35   #11
Grandad.Malky

Total Posts: 18,846
Lets hope you didnít cause any long-term damage when the oil light was flashing you should have stopped straight away.

The problems of vandalism and punctures could happen to any car, my son had a Corsa and my wife is on to her second Corsa, I donít think you will go far wrong with Vauxhall.
_______
Q: What is conservatism? A: Conservatism is the domination of society by an aristocracy
30-03-2007, 09:37   #12
SupraSteve
Quick

Glad you've (nearly) got it sorted.
30-03-2007, 11:41   #13
Camrat78

Total Posts: 861
Quote:
Well I've taken it to the garage and just found out whats causing the problem, its the oil pressure switch which was leaking, gonna cost £31 quid which isnt too bad, just hope nothing else goes wrong now (touch wood).
I was gonna say it was the oil pressure switch. Its' happened a couple of times on my corsa. A common fault i beleive.
_______
What doesn't kill me only makes me stronger!
30-03-2007, 23:15   #14
MonkeyLover

Total Posts: 4,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malky View Post
Lets hope you didnít cause any long-term damage when the oil light was flashing you should have stopped straight away.

The problems of vandalism and punctures could happen to any car, my son had a Corsa and my wife is on to her second Corsa, I donít think you will go far wrong with Vauxhall.
well said! I have got a Corsa, and I wouldn't swap "her" for anything!
30-03-2007, 23:17   #15
Darbees

Total Posts: 8,895
Quote:
I went out yesterday and the oil light was flashing away and the engine was getting louder (
Hopefully that is the only problem but I wonder why the engine was getting louder, maybe you just imagined that as we sometimes do when there's another fault.
01-10-2009, 18:40   #16
Unbreakable

Total Posts: 2
Hello , New to the forum as it was the best place to get an answer. Ok yester day my corsa started leaking oil (ALOT) from the top/front of the engine along with the oil indicator light on..? From reading above it is the oil sensor thing. If this unit is replaced will it fix the problem? thanks in advance
01-10-2009, 19:58   #17
Jillybabes

Yes, apparently its common in corsas, its the oil pressure switch, get it done now, although doesnt guarantee it wont happen again, cos it did happen again, now have a Ford Ka which is so much better!
01-10-2009, 20:12   #18
Grandad.Malky

Total Posts: 18,846
Quote:
Yes, apparently its common in corsas, its the oil pressure switch, get it done now, !
Why would a sensor result in a leak surely it would just give a false reading.
_______
Q: What is conservatism? A: Conservatism is the domination of society by an aristocracy
04-06-2010, 10:24   #19
adamcraw

Total Posts: 1
I have a Vauxhall Corsa and my Pressure switch is constantly leaking oil, and i have already previously changed the switch twice. Only this time i have threaded the switch and cant get it off to replace it with a new one. Any advice?
24-08-2010, 12:34   #20
Tess
The game.

Total Posts: 8,057
Hello All - sorry to bring this thread up again but i've got a problem. The car is leaking oil from the top but the oil light isn't on, however the EM Light is. Any suggestions?
_______
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, with a body thoroughly used up and totally worn out, screaming "Woo Hoo what a ride!"
Reply To Topic