Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Excruciating upper stomach pain right hand side, what? trapped wind?

Home > General > General Discussions

Reply To Topic

24-03-2007, 10:12   #1
Yellowrose

Total Posts: 3,207
For the second time in two months Ive woken in the night with absolutely excruciating pain under my right breast. Sometimes it seemed to be going right across to the other side, sometimes round my ribs to my back. Nothing improved this pain. At first I tried indigestion remedies, over the counter, then prescribed. Then I tried irritable bowel tablets, hot drinks, hot water bottle. Nothing improved it, I couldnt find a position that was comfortable and was walking up and down at 4.30 am! I feel nauseated as well.

The first time I got it we were so alarmed we phoned the emergency doctor. He said it was just trapped wind and would go away and persist with indigestion remedies and hot drinks. It went after several hours. I spoke to my doc after this and he thought it was just part of my irritable bowel and I should take my irritable bowel medicine. I actually didnt believe this because Ive had IBS for 20 odd years and pain has always been in the LOWER part of my abdomen and was of a different quality, like cramps, bowel pain.

It happened again last night and we didnt phone the doctor even though it was severe because I felt a bit stupid after being told it was trapped wind. I just couldnt believe the severity of it. Has anyone else had this?
24-03-2007, 10:13   #2
baileys_mum
Chocoholic

Total Posts: 3,577
Yes, and yes it does hurt. Not found a root to the cause yet either
24-03-2007, 11:30   #3
me-and-pippo

Total Posts: 2,654
Yellowrose, i am not a doctor but from the symptoms you are describing it sounds like Gallstones. Go see your doctor and get it checked out.
_______
I started out with nothing
And I still have most of it.

sheffieldhistory.co.uk - polite & helpful
24-03-2007, 11:36   #4
geerarffe

Total Posts: 1,526
Send a message via Skype™ to geerarffe
I've had this too. I got it every month for 6 months! I got told it could be my appendix (Wasn't), Gallstones (Wans't), Constipation (Wasn't). I don't get the pain anymore but I was never able to find out what it was either. The only thing I found to ease it was 2 cocodamol tablets and a neurofen tablet to ease the pain and a heat pad for comfort.
24-03-2007, 12:38   #5
alternageek
LI Moderator

Total Posts: 5,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by me-and-pippo View Post
Yellowrose, i am not a doctor but from the symptoms you are describing it sounds like Gallstones. Go see your doctor and get it checked out.
i agree. these are the same exact symptoms i experienced. i went to the dr who scheduled me a ultrasound and they discovered a massive stone was in my gallbladder. i had the keyhole surgery and ive been fine ever since.

just a quick question though, do you experience these pains after large amounts of drinking or eating really fatty/greasy foods? my worse attacks were whenever i had a pizza for dinner. if its the case and to help minimize the pain, you might want to cut out fatty foods and things with milk or egg in them until you can see a dr.
24-03-2007, 13:05   #6
whisper

Total Posts: 786
Yes the pain sounds just like i have been having and i'm waiting for a scan to see if I have a gallbladder problem.
I had my worse attack on thursday night,I had had cheese and onion on toast for dinner and spag bol for tea,think i had a bag of crisp somewhere in between too so not sure what the trigger was there.

I'm going out tonight but don't know what would be the best thing to drink.
_______
Out of my mind. Back in five minutes
24-03-2007, 14:01   #7
samc

Total Posts: 1,809
I have heard that the attacks of pain come on stronger after eating fatty/heavy foods if gallstone problems
Sponsored Links
24-03-2007, 14:07   #8
mojo1
Ms Mayhem

Total Posts: 11,850
I get this and it is trapped wind, but also the pain causes you to tense up and this contracts the muscles around it to cramp up aswell making the situation worse. I have to literally roll around on the bed to move it through my system which is very embarrasing to say the least.
_______
Mentally unstable like a fox!
Facebook
24-03-2007, 14:08   #9
Saffy

Total Posts: 4,319
It does sound like trapped wind pain .. and that can be excruciating ! But if you're uneasy, then don't hesitate, go back to see another Doctor and put your mind at rest.
24-03-2007, 14:13   #10
EdnaKrabappe

Forum Helper
Total Posts: 9,737
I'd go back again. I posted a windy pops thread at Christmas in pain feeling like I needed to *ahem* do a really big one. The pain has gone on in monthly cycles and I'm now having tests... You know if your body is reacting in a normal manner or not. Go back.
_______
You're no longer laughing, I'm not drowning fast enough.
24-03-2007, 22:02   #11
Salome

Total Posts: 3,067
Make a note of what you are eating to see if a pattern emerges...and DON'T be afraid to go back to the Doctor if it recurs. Fatty and/or spicy food can set your gall bladder off. Appendidcitis although on that side usually starts in the middle and then settles a little lower down from where you mentioned. As well as indigestion remedies try a warm hot water bottle near the painful area...it may give you some relief and will relax you too. The ones you put in the microwave are the best as they sort of mould to your body!! Good luck with it!!
24-03-2007, 22:17   #12
dynamicdebz

Total Posts: 1,200
Send a message via Yahoo to dynamicdebz
Read my other threads, I am no dr but would say this sounds like gallstones! Just had my gallbladder taken out. It can be a medical emergency but if your bloods are ok A & E will discharge you. Ask your GP to send you for an ultra sound to confirm this. If it isn't this then it may show up what the problem is.
Does the pain spread through to your back or perhaps to your right shoulder?
Next time you have an attack go to A & E they may get you sorted quicker, also check to see if your stools are pale (clay coloured) & if you look yellow especially your eyes go straight to A & E. If you get the chance to read my threads you will understand why I replied to yours. Let me know how you go on. Good luck!
_______
“Woman was made from man; not out of his head to top him, nor out of his feet to be trampled underfoot; but out of his side to be equal to him, under his arm to be protected, and near his heart to be loved”
24-03-2007, 22:23   #13
Titian

Total Posts: 4,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by me-and-pippo View Post
That was my first thought.

Yellowrose, does it feel, initially, like you need to seriously burp, followed by increasing pain, then vomiting or nausea. Does it stop suddenly? If it gets very does your breathing change and when you exhale it "judders"?

Gallstones don't need to be triggered by food either they can just swish over the bile duct and become lodged which causes a blockage and a strangling/twisiting sensation which is very painful.
25-03-2007, 17:35   #14
sTaGeWaLkEr

Total Posts: 5,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowrose View Post
I actually didnt believe this because Ive had IBS for 20 odd years and pain has always been in the LOWER part of my abdomen and was of a different quality, like cramps, bowel pain.
Have you ever been tested for H.Pylori?

Many people suffer with it but often don't realise. A routine blood test can diagnose the condition, which if proved positive can be treated very effectively. 94% of patients if I recall correctly.

Symptoms include: bloatiness, belching, lower abdomen pain and acidity regulation problems.

Might be worth checking out.
_______
If you're sad, then I'm sad. If you cry, then I'll cry. If you bleed, then I bleed. If you jump off a bridge, I'll miss our chats.
25-03-2007, 17:51   #15
evildrneil
eeeeeeeeeeeevil

Total Posts: 6,414
Have you been checked for a duodenal ulcer? It's a possible if it's a very sharp localised pain that feels as if it goes all the way through your body??
_______
So the civilians looked between the Atheist to the Religious, Religious to the Atheist, and Atheist to the Religious once more, but already it was impossible to tell who was who ~ George Orwell(ish)
25-03-2007, 17:53   #16
sTaGeWaLkEr

Total Posts: 5,712
Giggles at Neil's signature.

Back on topic
_______
If you're sad, then I'm sad. If you cry, then I'll cry. If you bleed, then I bleed. If you jump off a bridge, I'll miss our chats.
25-03-2007, 18:00   #17
Yellowrose

Total Posts: 3,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titian View Post
That was my first thought.

Yellowrose, does it feel, initially, like you need to seriously burp, followed by increasing pain, then vomiting or nausea. Does it stop suddenly? If it gets very does your breathing change and when you exhale it "judders"?

Gallstones don't need to be triggered by food either they can just swish over the bile duct and become lodged which causes a blockage and a strangling/twisiting sensation which is very painful.
Yes it does but it doesnt judder. I can feel a difference if I try and breathe in sharply.

Its definitely not my appendix. I havent had one since 1978!

I havent been checked for h pylori either. The only things Ive had was a scan for my gall bladder in 2002 and then in 2005 I had a gastroscopy for something else (suspected coeliac). Both were negative, but of course time has passed since then.
26-03-2007, 08:16   #18
torin8

Total Posts: 1,479
You know this is sounding all very familiar to me... I've had pains in the exactly the same place as you are Yellowrose except I get mine every night and increasingly I'm not sleeping through. My docs have done bloods and I've been for an ultrasound on my upper adomen (not lower...) both seem to be fine.

Must admit I'm losing patience with my docs as their last solution was to lose weight (yeah I need to lose some but surely it can't be causing all these problems since I'm not that overweight!). I've another appointment tonight so we'll see what they have to say this time (and if it's negative I'm going for a second opinion..). Failing that I've no idea
26-03-2007, 08:38   #19
Ann*
Purple Power

Total Posts: 2,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowrose View Post
For the second time in two months Ive woken in the night with absolutely excruciating pain under my right breast. Sometimes it seemed to be going right across to the other side, sometimes round my ribs to my back. Nothing improved this pain. At first I tried indigestion remedies, over the counter, then prescribed. Then I tried irritable bowel tablets, hot drinks, hot water bottle. Nothing improved it, I couldnt find a position that was comfortable and was walking up and down at 4.30 am! I feel nauseated as well.

The first time I got it we were so alarmed we phoned the emergency doctor. He said it was just trapped wind and would go away and persist with indigestion remedies and hot drinks. It went after several hours. I spoke to my doc after this and he thought it was just part of my irritable bowel and I should take my irritable bowel medicine. I actually didnt believe this because Ive had IBS for 20 odd years and pain has always been in the LOWER part of my abdomen and was of a different quality, like cramps, bowel pain.

It happened again last night and we didnt phone the doctor even though it was severe because I felt a bit stupid after being told it was trapped wind. I just couldnt believe the severity of it. Has anyone else had this?
I get this every now and again. The first time it happened it was scary, but it turned out to be indigestion or trapped wind. It only usually happens at night because you've possibly swallowed air. Because you're lying down, air gets trapped as it can't travel freely up the gullet making you burp. My "cure" is drinking about half a pint of water as quickly as I can, which will help the air to rise and escape. That works for me, but may not for everyone.

If it happens on a (ir)regular basis, keep a diary, including what you've eaten and drunk the day before. You may find a pattern forming.
26-03-2007, 17:01   #20
torin8

Total Posts: 1,479
Well my doc now thinks I either have a kidney infection or a kidney stone - am off to the hospital for xrays. Just hope they find something they can treat and get all this sorted!
Reply To Topic