Car siezed by police

out of curiosity does anybody know, a friend of mine had their car siezed by police because of no insurance can be claimed and driven back by me who has fully comp insurance to drive any car.

im fully aware theres a charge to collect the car and a daily fee.

if not can you actually go down and collect your belongings from inside the car?

what i really don't get is why people buy cars and don't get insurance and to drive them with no insurance really winds me up :mad:

anyway i'm not 100% sure you can but i'm pretty sure you'd be allowed to collect belongings, phone and check.

I believe that for your 3rd party on another vehicle (with permission) cover to be valid, someone has to have the car insured as their primary vehicle (not fully comp, just insured at all).

So no, you couldn't. Perhaps you could squeeze your friend into the car just before it's crushed though?

No you can't. You have to show a valid certificate of insurance relevant to that particular vehicle. Otherwise, all someone like your friend would have to do is get one of their mates to flash their own insurance to the police and drive the car away probably to be used again without proper insurance and the whole exercise would be a complete waste of time and money.

a friend of mine had their car siezed by police because of no insurance

Oh dear what a shame.

You have to show insurance that covers the day the car was actually seized, i.e. prove it wasn't being driven illegally, and that covers the person driving it. What would be the point otherwise, hardly a deterrant.

and its 105 pound recovery plus 12 quid per day storage. so 117 pounds for the first dat increasing by 12 pound every day after that!

theres a lesson to be learned.

You have to show insurance that covers the day the car was actually seized, i.e. prove it wasn't being driven illegally, and that covers the person driving it. What would be the point otherwise, hardly a deterrant.

Hmmm. I dont see why he cant day insure his mate's car.

have no prosecution or police enquiry pending

All the stated exclusions seem to be about the person and not the car. As logically it would be.

---

Edit: I've just realised what you are trying to say.

I'm suggesting they day insure it for a tenner or whatever to get it out of there which was the purpose of the thread :)

I believe that for your 3rd party on another vehicle (with permission) cover to be valid, someone has to have the car insured as their primary vehicle (not fully comp, just insured at all).

So no, you couldn't. Perhaps you could squeeze your friend into the car just before it's crushed though?

This is correct, i am fully comprehensive, but if i drive someone elses car then im only 3rd party, if the other car is not insured then im not covered. Some mechanics have full insurance (those that go and fetch cars in) as they have to drive cars that are insured and not insured. If your friends car is in the compound then you will get charged so much per day, get it out quick:)

Edit no.4: ugh I'm going to bed, my brain (cell) hurts.