Your message here

Who Remembers The Wapentake?

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield History & Expats

Reply To Topic

11-10-2004, 00:03   #1
WallBuilder

Total Posts: 4,314
http://www.borracho.pwp.blueyonder.c...k/index7.shtml

Here is the link to the latest collection of people who could be found in the Wap in the early to mid 80's, one or two should look familiar if it's only the DJ
Before you ask I didn't include one of myself , don't want to scare you all awaay.
_______
Life, don't talk to me about life
11-10-2004, 09:21   #2
roger

Total Posts: 879
i remember the wap they should never have shut it when they reopened it as the casbah it was nothinglike the wap for a start you could see where you were going and there were to many suits in there
_______
roger
11-10-2004, 09:25   #3
Mo

Total Posts: 2,111
What a fantastic nostalgic trip

I looked through your photos praying that there wouldn't be any of me lurking there and was then disappointed that there wasn't.

I would be interested to see what these people looked like now.....all staid and respectable with the semi, the 2.5 kids, the dog etc etc.

Have added this to my favourites so that I can keep looking in. Superb.
11-10-2004, 10:07   #4
H.P
Moonchild

Total Posts: 3,298
Yes they dont do pubs and clubs like it any more. I loved the wap its just not the same now.... casbah sucks does anyone remember ben, he looked a bit like derreck griffiths, he was a sound lad used to bump into him everywhere. but havent seen him for a good few years now remember having a good old headbang to napalm death in the leadmill where we just happend to bump into him again. yes a lot of the old faces have drifted away to pastures new
_______
Chicken Liberation Front
11-10-2004, 11:40   #5
WallBuilder

A few of the old faces can still be seen in the Corporation but most of them I suspect are looking for their zimmer frames as I type.
Ben was still to be seen about three years ago he was in the Boarddwalk and I had to wonder whether he was still trying to sell insurance policies.
Just a shame I haven't got any good pics of Olga and Madge who ran the place but I've got my spies out looking.
So enjoy your meander down memory lane and if there are any pics in your collections with a Sheffield rock theme I'm sure the site designer would be delighted to hear from you, also tell all your friends, aquaintances and anybody else who may be interested.
_______
11-10-2004, 16:39   #6
vidster
Forum Squatter

Total Posts: 3,612
How many snakebites on the ceiling?....
There will never be another.
_______
Sat 8 Sep 1951 Sheffield Wednesday v Sheffield United........ 3-7 Att 52,045

They don't like it up em'
12-10-2004, 19:18   #7
dodger

Total Posts: 70
Good God!!!

I feel ancient after seeing those photos. Anyone remember the Saturday afternoons in the peace gardens following a session at the wap- black pudding and cider fuelled!!
Sponsored Links
12-10-2004, 19:28   #8
lucasdigital

Total Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally posted by WALLBUILDER
http://www.borracho.pwp.blueyonder.c...k/index7.shtml

Here is the link to the latest collection of people who could be found in the Wap in the early to mid 80's, one or two should look familiar if it's only the DJ
Before you ask I didn't include one of myself , don't want to scare you all awaay.
Ahhh yes, it was the real deal that Wapentake. Great collection of photos!

They are all take long before my time at the "Wop" but looking at the mad combinations of hair and clothing makes me feel misty eyed with relief.
_______
--
lucasdigital
12-10-2004, 19:29   #9
Bloomdido
Account Closed

Total Posts: 7,710
I was on the door for a while. Used to get paid four quid a night! I remember the 'Bucket of water song' being banned for obvoius reasons, Ken the DJ, the football tables and loads of mates down there. They used to have bands on wednesday nights for a while, Berlin, Heritage, Geddes Axe and Renegade. It was just about the most uncool time to be into rock music. Used to go to the Nelson as well and then onto Rebels.
12-10-2004, 19:39   #10
goldenfleece
PURPLE HAZE

Total Posts: 6,564
Send a message via MSN to goldenfleece
Quote:
A few of the old faces can still be seen in the Corporation but most of them I suspect are looking for their zimmer frames as I type.
zimmer frame???? It was not THAT many decades ago you know, only one!!!

But what a classic venue the Wapentake was......Friday and Saturday nights, superb, best times of my life. Nothing has come close (in Sheffield anyway) since.....its the atmosphere that made the place......just totally TOGETHER as one.....sounding like an old hippie there....which I am....so there!!
12-10-2004, 22:05   #11
WallBuilder

Quote:
Originally posted by dodger
Good God!!!

I feel ancient after seeing those photos. Anyone remember the Saturday afternoons in the peace gardens following a session at the wap- black pudding and cider fuelled!!
Saturday afternoons sat in the Peace Gardens waiting for the Yorkshireman's Arms to open for the evening session. Groups of us sat around enjoying the sunshine and on occasion throwing someone in the fountain pool just by the eggbox. I know we used to look slightly threatening to some of the little old dears who would sit on the benches eyeing uss up nervously, however if the police came through we weren't misbehaving so all they could do is remind us to make sure we behaved ourselves. One guy used to bring his pet rat and another had one of his indian pythons with him, five foot of snake moving at speed as it tried to escape. I just wish I had my camera with me on more occasions.
_______
12-10-2004, 22:16   #12
WallBuilder

Quote:
Originally posted by Bloomdido
I was on the door for a while. Used to get paid four quid a night! I remember the 'Bucket of water song' being banned for obvoius reasons, Ken the DJ, the football tables and loads of mates down there. They used to have bands on wednesday nights for a while, Berlin, Heritage, Geddes Axe and Renegade. It was just about the most uncool time to be into rock music. Used to go to the Nelson as well and then onto Rebels.
Hi,
Just curious to know when you were on the door? I can remember two guys both called Mick, lovely chaps and very even tempered, little Mick wore glasses and had a thumb missing. A few years after we had Chris with his dog Taz and Russel who are both featured in the pics. With them was Robin who the girls all said had 'come to bed eyes' [girls will know what I mean]
A smoothie drunk and thrown out of Henry's came across one evening and managed to put his fist through the wire mesh glass door panel, the police merely had to follow the trail of blood, one other guy on the door at the time of Chris was a character called Wolf who went on to guard door at the Hornblower.
_______
12-10-2004, 22:33   #13
feederfil

Total Posts: 309
just to be really boring I remember when the wapentake opened,when it was part of the grosvenor hotel.It was one of the first places in the town centre to sell keg tetleys and also double diamond!We used to drink a pint of mixed which was the above two together,still don't know why!It was also waiter service in there if you wanted it,but of course you had to tip the waiter!
12-10-2004, 22:43   #14
Bloomdido
Account Closed

Must have been early 80's. I moved to London in 82. I wasn't a Mick, I was a Phil. Never had any trouble, that was the beauty of the place - all these heavy lookin' geezers and less trouble than the Blue Bell!
12-10-2004, 22:55   #15
WallBuilder

Hi Phil,
Okay it's bugging me, I must know you at least by sight, could you give a bit more of a physical description, better still send the Rock Reunited site designer a pic of yourself if you've got one from that time so you can be added to the Wap page.
Phil? Phil? Phil? Nope nothing registers.
_______
13-10-2004, 08:22   #16
goldenfleece
PURPLE HAZE

Quote:
another had one of his indian pythons with him, five foot of snake moving at speed as it tried to escape. I just wish I had my camera with me on more occasions. [/B]

That used to be guy called Brian who had the pythons I think....biker chap who used to drink in the Wapentake all the time, a South Yorkshire chapter Hells Angel (The Druids) member, am I right?
13-10-2004, 12:14   #17
WallBuilder

You're nearly right Goldenfleece, certainly his name was Brian or as he later became known Snake and he was a member of the Druids. However the Druids although styling themselves on Hells Angels were never a true Hells Angel chapter, this wasn't a problem as the Yorkshire Blues had gone, however if any of the All England chapter ever came to Sheffield the Druids were noticeable by their absense. Apparently wearing colours or patches and pretending to be Angels would of annoyed true Hells Angels somewhat.
Just one other minor point if the Druids were a motorcycle gang then how come some of them didn't own a motorbike and relied on the buses to get around?
_______
13-10-2004, 15:26   #18
goldenfleece
PURPLE HAZE

I never knew they were not a real Chapter of HellsAngels......no one told me that at the the time anyway. They looked genuine enough. Generally a fairly Ok set of lads, unless you got on the wrong side of them. I saw a few do just that and they certainly lived to regret it!! They did all get banned from the Wapentake at one point in the mid 80's for jumping up and down on the table football machine, and bending all the rods, and also for smashing one of the pinball machines with a brown ale bottle. Must have just missed getting the high score or something.....

you dont see any of them around any more....I wonder if they still exist in any form..
13-10-2004, 16:14   #19
WallBuilder

The Druids certainly styled themselves as Hells Angels but weren't true Angels as apparently you have to apply to become a chapter. Sounds bizarre but it seems as though true Angels have a very strict code of practise when it comes to membership. I knew a few of them by sight and one or two by name but noticed for the most part if you left them alone they left you alone. Did have a couple of 'prospects' ttrainee Druids try it on with me once in the Wap, insisting that i buy them a drink. Not a chance, I'm fussy as to who I spend my money on. Luckily a lass named Sparrow who was married to the Druids second in command I think saw what was going on and warned the prospects off. My mate Fred was very unhappy with me and I suppose I was lucky to have been a face that Sparrow liked. Latrer on one of the prospects did become a full fledged Druid and he was a nasty little man name of Deano if anyone remembers him.
They hung out in the pub down by the markets, the Alexandria I think it was called and were barred from the Wap [by Olga] the Yorkshiremans Arms,the Sportsman , the Foresters and the Hornblowwer unless they either took off their colours or hid them under another jacket. No Hells Angel would of ever done this but I noticed some of the Druids did in order to come into the Wap. Unpleasant louts throwing their wweight around when in a group as I remember from a certain party at Heeley that got a write up in the Star courtesy of the Druids.
_______
13-10-2004, 17:04   #20
Bloomdido
Account Closed

Wallbuilder
I was about 6 foot 7 tall (still am in fact), blondish hair. Used to wear a black leather jacket with an afghan waistcoat over the top. Had a beard for a while - that was nearly ginger! Oh the embarrasment. Used to hang around with Andy C, he of the red and blue leather jackets, who was nearly as tall as me.
Reply To Topic