Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Sheffields highest and lowest points above sea level???

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield News & Discussions

Reply To Topic

24-01-2007, 10:46   #1
bigbladerob

Total Posts: 406
As you do, I got into a bit of a shamefully sad, yet quite interesting chat about Sheffield highest and lowest points...

My thinking is that the highest could be Meadowhead roundabout and the lowest being near the wicker...

I am probably wrong in this but if anyone out there could come at me with an accurate answer that'd be great!

24-01-2007, 10:48   #2
Stormy

Total Posts: 2,374
You're probably right about the lowest, but I think the highest is either Lodge Moor or Ringinglow...
24-01-2007, 10:53   #3
speeed
slinky tinky

Total Posts: 833
best I can find

"At its lowest point, in the east of the municipality along the River Don, the land is 10m above sea level; at the highest in the hills to the west the height is 546m. There are few major cities with such a variation in height within their boundaries anywhere and this adds to the uniquenes of Sheffield, as it allows for such a variety of landscapes within one city."
24-01-2007, 10:53   #4
bigbladerob

Ringinlow is a good one yea, what about around the ski slope? that was thrown into the conversation this morning!
24-01-2007, 10:59   #5
butchill

Total Posts: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbladerob View Post
Ringinlow is a good one yea, what about around the ski slope? that was thrown into the conversation this morning!
if you stand on the ski slope and look across towards crookes it is quite obvious crookes is higher so that rules that out
24-01-2007, 10:59   #6
bigbladerob

so your saying that East towards Meadowhall is the lowest and West being Lodge Moor/Crosspool?

Where did you get that info?
24-01-2007, 11:04   #7
Vulcan B2

Total Posts: 1,181
I might be wrong, but I thought the water tower at Norton is the highest point?
_______
Better to remain silent and let people think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

664. Neighbour of the beast.
24-01-2007, 11:05   #8
speeed
slinky tinky

Total Posts: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbladerob View Post
so your saying that East towards Meadowhall is the lowest and West being Lodge Moor/Crosspool?

Where did you get that info?
Just ran a search on google something like "sheffields highest and lowest points sea level" and found that info!
24-01-2007, 11:09   #9
butchill

Total Posts: 661
it seems before anyone can find out a different the highest point within the sheffield post code,is the junction of mortimer road and cranberry road sheffield s36 s9 and also mortimer appears to be the longest road in the sheffield postal district
24-01-2007, 11:16   #10
cgksheff

Total Posts: 20,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeed View Post
Just ran a search on google .......
Why 'Google' when you know that The Forum is the Font of All Knowledge?

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=13900
24-01-2007, 11:59   #11
PaulTansley

Total Posts: 4,042
We can all sumise that a different area is higher than the other but you can only tell if its measured scientifically.
I would have gone for Crosspool because that is were all the transmitters are based for both TV and radio signals.
However, someone mentioned Lodge moor and me and Johnt had a disagreement on this the other day.
I argued that when I ride my bike from Crosspool to rivilin post office you ride down hill and uphill the other way which makes Crosspool the highest in the two and I have just realised that the postoffice isn't in Lodge moor you then have to climb Lodge Lane.
Lodge Moor is higher than Crosspool and thats not all because when I am on my way to Ringinglow you have to climb again to Mayfield which in my view Mayfield top is the highest place in Sheffield.
24-01-2007, 12:07   #12
Pipine

Total Posts: 886
Using my GIS with Ordnance Survey height data and the city boundary I calculate the highest and lowest points to be :

High Stones (out towards howden moors) at 548m
Blackburn meadows sewage works at 28m
_______
"Fairness? Decency? How can you expect fairness or decency on a planet of sleeping people?" G. I. Gurdjieff

Last edited by Pipine; 24-01-2007 at 12:15.
24-01-2007, 12:14   #13
Modesty

Total Posts: 395
Lodge Moor is way higher than Crosspool, cause we are on the snow line here.
Then Rininglow is higher still, so I would plump for The Hallam moors with possibally Stanedge pole being the highest ground.

Norton water tower looks like the flat lands from here

A map will sort this one out anyhow, I'll have a look later if know one else does before then .
24-01-2007, 12:19   #14
alchresearch

Total Posts: 25,148
Send a message via Yahoo to alchresearch
Staying closer to the city, Graves Park is 210M. It's 300M near Lodge Moor
24-01-2007, 12:25   #15
chris@25

Total Posts: 824
Are there still people that don't know about Google Earth?

(or OS maps for that matter)

Stannington, Fulwood, Lodge Moor, Ecclesall, Dore are all much higher than Norton (up to 100 m higher). Various points in the Peak District but within Sheffield CC boundary are around the 500m mark. Meadowhall is down river of the Wicker so I'd go for that as the lowest point, though Retford Rd where it crosses the Rother into Rotherham is also pretty low (anywhere downstream on the Don or the Rother will be low of course).
24-01-2007, 12:36   #16
PaulTansley

Total Posts: 4,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipine View Post
Using my GIS with Ordnance Survey height data and the city boundary I calculate the highest and lowest points to be :

High Stones (out towards howden moors) at 548m
Blackburn meadows sewage works at 28m
We have to be carefull here that we are not picking areas that are not actually in Sheffield.
Of course the Moors all Moorsare going to be the highest point but most fall into Derbyshire.
High Bradfield is another high point which is in Sheffield to which High stones is well pass the Derbyshire boundry.
24-01-2007, 12:37   #17
cgksheff

Total Posts: 20,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modesty View Post
Lodge Moor is way higher than Crosspool, cause we are on the snow line here.
Then Rininglow is higher still, so I would plump for The Hallam moors with possibally Stanedge pole being the highest ground.

Norton water tower looks like the flat lands from here

A map will sort this one out anyhow, I'll have a look later if know one else does before then .
Online facilities are:

Council Ward Boundaries

Ordnance Survey "Get-A-Map"
24-01-2007, 12:53   #18
chris@25

Total Posts: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulTansley View Post
We have to be carefull here that we are not picking areas that are not actually in Sheffield.
Of course the Moors all Moorsare going to be the highest point but most fall into Derbyshire.
High Bradfield is another high point which is in Sheffield to which High stones is well pass the Derbyshire boundry.
It's Sheffield all the way from Bradfield and Langsett over to Howden reservoir. Margery Hill is 546m and in Sheffield according to OS map, Howden Moor, Broomhead Moor and Bradfield Moor are all Sheffield. Further down the reservoirs the border swings up across the hill toward Strines and Hollow Meadows.
25-01-2007, 11:49   #19
Pipine

Total Posts: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulTansley View Post

High Stones is (just) within the sheffield boundary I use everyday (same as the one on the Council Ward Boundaries map linked in this thread).
_______
"Fairness? Decency? How can you expect fairness or decency on a planet of sleeping people?" G. I. Gurdjieff
25-01-2007, 12:59   #20
satman2222

Total Posts: 2,700
Mr Rooker at Ecclesfield School told us there was nowt higher to the East than the top of Grenoside until you got to the Ural mountains !
Reply To Topic