Ultrasound scan on a dog??

Hi,

On 26th January 2006 my dog is going for an ultra sound scan to see if she is pregnant. Has anyone ever seen one of these? can you actually see the puppies? do you get a photo? (I hope so).

I have seen one, and have seen one of guinea pigs too (C/O another forumer) Its a lot like a baby scan, you can see them yes but not fully formed but you can make out heads and legs etc

awww, i hope she is in pup, am waiting like you danielle to see if my bitch is in pup, exciting aint it. She had a scan last time, but they was no puppies present, grrrrr, i dont think they give you a phot, are they any signs on your bitch yet. please keep us informed. Good luck.

honestly I haven't noticed any difference, i sometimes think she is quieter than normal but then i think i am imagining it because i really want her to be pregnant. Do you know if there should be any signs?

Her scan is now this Friday not next friday. The vet phoned me back and said bang on 4 weeks to the date of (hopefull) conception should be ok to see the pups if she is pregnant.

what she did say was that if she is that she wouldn't be able to see how many she would just maybe be able to see a couple because theya re so small.

I get quite emotional just thinking about it. im trying not to get my hopes up but its hard not to.

Were you upset when you girl wasnt?

Hiya danielle was i upset, i was gutted,

I really hope she is in pup, its heartbreaking, mine seems quieter then normal, and her teets seems to be stood out more, but like you, i think am i imagining it, please let us no on friday if she is in pup, am not paying for a scan this time, time will tell, U havn't got long to wait to find out, i will keep informed of my girl, hope we both got good news.

Sorry to intrude on your thread and all but it just struck me as utterly bizarre that you would have an ultrasound on your dog to see if she's pregnant.

Presumably this costs money, yes? Could you not just wait a few weeks and see if she has puppies?

Sorry to intrude on your thread and all but it just struck me as utterly bizarre that you would have an ultrasound on your dog to see if she's pregnant.

Presumably this costs money, yes? Could you not just wait a few weeks and see if she has puppies?

I can assure you it's quite normal that you would have an ultrasound on your dog. A responsible breeder would do just that.

I can assure you it's quite normal that you would have an ultrasound on your dog. A responsible breeder would do just that.

Thankyou, but why? And how much does it cost?

so the implication is that people who KNOW that their dog is in pup and don't have an ultrasound are irresponsible.

perhaps allowing a bitch to get near a dog is more irresponsible.

so the implication is that people who KNOW that their dog is in pup and don't have an ultrasound are irresponsible.

Not what I said, but feel free to come to your own conclusions.

perhaps allowing a bitch to get near a dog is more irresponsible.

Precisely and you'll get no argument from me there.

Globule, hi, me again. Would you be good enough to explain why it's necessary and how much it costs please? Thankyou.

A lot of breeders of small dogs have ultrasounds done as more than 2/3 pups can mean they are more likely to need a c section so book them in to have it done in advance :)