Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Are all antibiotics the same?

Home > General > General Discussions

Reply To Topic
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
04-01-2007, 12:46   #1
Clare85
Queen of the South
Clare85's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Total Posts: 3,723
Thick question possibly...

but a while ago I got some antibiotics for my tooth when I was having root canal treatment but never used them.

Can you use them again for a sore throat or something or are they all different?
  Reply With Quote
04-01-2007, 12:49   #2
Sultana
Registered User
Sultana's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: In cloud cuckoo land
Total Posts: 1,740
I think they are all different in that different ones are more effective for different things. I would not recommend taking them without seing the doc first.
_______
"It's life Jim, but not as we know it!"
  Reply With Quote
04-01-2007, 12:53   #3
evildrneil
eeeeeeeeeeeevil
evildrneil's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Gleadless Valley
Total Posts: 6,417
Theres a whole raft of different antibiotics of different types and scopes (broad vs narrow spectrum). It's probably not a good idea to re-use the antibiotics for another problem without them being prescribed / recomended for it
_______
So the civilians looked between the Atheist to the Religious, Religious to the Atheist, and Atheist to the Religious once more, but already it was impossible to tell who was who ~ George Orwell(ish)
  Reply With Quote
04-01-2007, 12:57   #4
never wrong
Registered User
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: ecclesfield
Total Posts: 1,607
If what you are asking is can you take antibiotics you have left from a previous problem for the sore throat you have now providing you had no ill effects when you took them before. take them antibiotics are antibiotics
  Reply With Quote
04-01-2007, 13:01   #5
Heyesey
Registered User
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Total Posts: 12,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by never wrong
If what you are asking is can you take antibiotics you have left from a previous problem for the sore throat you have now providing you had no ill effects when you took them before. take them antibiotics are antibiotics

Wrong! You really ought to change your name, you know.
  Reply With Quote
04-01-2007, 13:03   #6
evildrneil
eeeeeeeeeeeevil
evildrneil's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Gleadless Valley
Total Posts: 6,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by never wrong
If what you are asking is can you take antibiotics you have left from a previous problem for the sore throat you have now providing you had no ill effects when you took them before. take them antibiotics are antibiotics
Antibiotics are most certainly not all the same as you seem to imply. What is effective in one condition may not be effective or appropriate in another. Re-using antibiotics like this is a fine way of breeding new superbugs / increasing antibiotic tollerence in bacteria
_______
So the civilians looked between the Atheist to the Religious, Religious to the Atheist, and Atheist to the Religious once more, but already it was impossible to tell who was who ~ George Orwell(ish)
  Reply With Quote
04-01-2007, 13:07   #7
never wrong
Registered User
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: ecclesfield
Total Posts: 1,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyesey
Wrong! You really ought to change your name, you know.
why antibiotics are all the same basically dont listen to all the propoganda rubbish thats dished out in this instance she has been prescribed antibiotics by the doctor for one problem the same antibiotics will cure the sore throat it is as simple as that.
prove me wrong in simple terms please
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
04-01-2007, 13:12   #8
evildrneil
eeeeeeeeeeeevil
evildrneil's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Gleadless Valley
Total Posts: 6,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by never wrong
why antibiotics are all the same basically dont listen to all the propoganda rubbish thats dished out in this instance she has been prescribed antibiotics by the doctor for one problem the same antibiotics will cure the sore throat it is as simple as that.
prove me wrong in simple terms please
Take a look here for a list of some of the many types of antibiotics and their particular scope. Just as there are different classes of bacteria (eg gram positive or gram negative) so there are different antibiotics used to treat the infections caused by them.
_______
So the civilians looked between the Atheist to the Religious, Religious to the Atheist, and Atheist to the Religious once more, but already it was impossible to tell who was who ~ George Orwell(ish)
  Reply With Quote
04-01-2007, 13:13   #9
JonnH
Registered User
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: North Sheffield
Total Posts: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clare85
Thick question possibly...

but a while ago I got some antibiotics for my tooth when I was having root canal treatment but never used them.

Can you use them again for a sore throat or something or are they all different?
Does it say what they contain? Penecillin? etc

i thought they listed the active ingredients on prescription medicine now too?
_______
Visit www.geordinet.ukshells.co.uk
And www.evermore.de
  Reply With Quote
04-01-2007, 13:18   #10
stackmonkey
Registered User
stackmonkey's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Chesterfield
Total Posts: 1,058
Different antibiotics treat different conditions.
For a given condition, there will be a small number of antibiotics that are ideal/almost ideal; there will be a few more that will work to some degree, i.e. will work slower, or will not completely eradicate an infection and some that will not work at all. There range of conditions to treat is very wide and anitbiotics reflect that.
All drugs have interactions with some other medicines and this also has to be taken into account - hence why your GP will always ask if you are taking other (not necessarily prescribed) medicines.
  Reply With Quote
04-01-2007, 13:18   #11
plekhanov
Registered User
plekhanov's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Total Posts: 11,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by never wrong
why antibiotics are all the same basically
On what grounds do you make that claim?

Quote:
dont listen to all the propoganda rubbish thats dished out in this instance she has been prescribed antibiotics by the doctor for one problem the same antibiotics will cure the sore throat it is as simple as that.
Why, because you say so?

Quote:
prove me wrong in simple terms please
The burden of proof is actually on you to prove that you're right but just to make sure Clare85 realises just how full of crap you are and doesn't take your advice, if 'antibiotics are all the same basically' how do you explain this table on antibiotics and the infections they are used to treat which would suggest that there are significant differences between them.
  Reply With Quote
04-01-2007, 13:19   #12
Brunette
Registered User
Brunette's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Sheffield
Total Posts: 1,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by never wrong
why antibiotics are all the same basically dont listen to all the propoganda rubbish thats dished out in this instance she has been prescribed antibiotics by the doctor for one problem the same antibiotics will cure the sore throat it is as simple as that.
prove me wrong in simple terms please
Its so funny to see someone so sure of themselves when they are so wrong - and with such a username LOL!
Anyway - after several years spent studying biomed sciences and a career in the health services, please let me assure you that you really are wrong this time. Not any antibiotic will cure any sore throat! Antibiotics have very different modes of action, they target different things.
I'll give you one very very simple example (and apologies to the science peeps - but I am going to generalise MASSIVELY here because he did ask for it be kept simple..okay?).
Bacteria can be classified as Gram positive, or Gram negative, due to different types of cell wall. Some antibiotics target Gram postivie bacteria specifically by way of certain molecules which are present. These molecules are not present in Gram negative bacteria. If you give the antibiotic for G+ bacteria when in fact you have a G- infection, it will do absolutely bugger all (technical term).
Its a bit like giving someone a phillips head screwdriver when the screw is suitable for a flat head screwdriver - yeah its a screwdriver but its fairly useless.

Hope that goes some way to explaining.

Last edited by Brunette; 04-01-2007 at 13:22.
  Reply With Quote
04-01-2007, 13:20   #13
joeyannie
Registered User
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Total Posts: 373
also, if your sore throat is the result of a viral infection rather than bacterial antibiotics wont do diddly squat anyway. If its bad enough to require treating best popping to the doctors for a proper diagnosis and treatment.
hope you feel better soon!
  Reply With Quote
04-01-2007, 13:22   #14
never wrong
Registered User
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: ecclesfield
Total Posts: 1,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by evildrneil
Take a look here for a list of some of the many types of antibiotics and their particular scope. Just as there are different classes of bacteria (eg gram positive or gram negative) so there are different antibiotics used to treat the infections caused by them.
I agree with what you say but quite honestly in this instance and only this instance no harm will be done. at the end of the day she had a packet of prescribed antibiotics that could be used to cure a sore throat the doctor would not have prescribed if they were dangerous ie. penecillin allergic to I answered the question that was asked IMO
  Reply With Quote
04-01-2007, 13:26   #15
never wrong
Registered User
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: ecclesfield
Total Posts: 1,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunette
Its so funny to see someone so sure of themselves when they are so wrong - and with such a username LOL!
Anyway - after several years spent studying biomed sciences and a career in the health services, please let me assure you that you really are wrong this time. Not any antibiotic will cure any sore throat! Antibiotics have very different modes of action, they target different things.
I'll give you one very very simple example (and apologies to the science peeps - but I am going to generalise MASSIVELY here because he did ask for it be kept simple..okay?).
Bacteria can be classified as Gram positive, or Gram negative, due to different types of cell wall. Some antibiotics target Gram postivie bacteria specifically by way of certain molecules which are present. These molecules are not present in Gram negative bacteria. If you give the antibiotic for G+ bacteria when in fact you have a G- infection, it will do absolutely bugger all (technical term).
Its a bit like giving someone a phillips head screwdriver when the screw is suitable for a flat head screwdriver - yeah its a screwdriver but its fairly useless.

Hope that goes some way to explaining.
christ!!!! all this for a sore throat. and if it does bugger all no harm done its common sense not rocket sceince
  Reply With Quote
04-01-2007, 13:28   #16
Heyesey
Registered User
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Total Posts: 12,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by never wrong
christ!!!! all this for a sore throat. and if it does bugger all no harm done its common sense not rocket sceince
Again .... Wrong!!


Not only will it do bugger all towards curing the sore throat, it's actually possible (unlikely, but nevertheless possible) that by taking the wrong antibiotics, you will cause the bacteria to mutate into something even more dangerous.
  Reply With Quote
04-01-2007, 13:30   #17
medusa
mostly here
medusa's Avatar
 
Admin Team
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: in a recliner
Total Posts: 34,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by never wrong
christ!!!! all this for a sore throat. and if it does bugger all no harm done its common sense not rocket sceince
And this is before we consider the fact that over 90% of sore throats are caused by a virus which will be totally unaffected by antibiotics at all.
_______
It's time for the Homeless Christmas Shoe Box appeal to come around again.
Please like, please share, please donate- everybody can donate something, even if that's just a tin of beans, to someone who has nothing.
https://www.facebook.com/Homelessshoeboxappeal?fref=ts
  Reply With Quote
04-01-2007, 13:31   #18
Brunette
Registered User
Brunette's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Sheffield
Total Posts: 1,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by never wrong
I agree with what you say but quite honestly in this instance and only this instance no harm will be done. at the end of the day she had a packet of prescribed antibiotics that could be used to cure a sore throat the doctor would not have prescribed if they were dangerous ie. penecillin allergic to I answered the question that was asked IMO
Sorry! Me again! Just wanted to tell you about the problems with taking too many antibiotics when you don't have to - just so you are a bit better informed :-)

Going to do another example here. Remember that lengths of treatment with antibiotics depends on the infection - some things take a week, some things require 3 weeks of treatment!

Say that unbeknown to her, she had 100 or so bacteria lingering around in her guts, the sort which cause nasty problems. Maybe they would have just given a mild tummy upset, or her immune system would have taken care of them on its own - nothing serious going on. But then she took the antibiotic, and of those 100, the weakest ones died off first. She kept taking it, and more died off. She stops taking it! This is the sort of bacteria which requires a month of treatment if you get a bad infection, so they aren't all dead. And all you have left are the strongest ones, who happily grow and divide and multiply now - lots and lots of the best "SAS-style" bacteria who make her very poorly indeed.

This is how superbugs are made. This is why all packets of antibiotics tell you to take the WHOLE course of treatment, and this is why doctors don't like to over-prescribe them, or give them when its probably viral anyway.

Hope that helps :-)
  Reply With Quote
04-01-2007, 13:33   #19
Brunette
Registered User
Brunette's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Sheffield
Total Posts: 1,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by never wrong
christ!!!! all this for a sore throat. and if it does bugger all no harm done its common sense not rocket sceince
Have tried to explain above! Hope it helps!

Hope you also notice that I am attempting to explain why you are wrong and not resorting to any form of abuse as others might LOL!

I do hope you have the similarly good grace to admit that you don't really know what you're talking about.
  Reply With Quote
04-01-2007, 13:34   #20
sccsux
Account Closed
sccsux's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Googling "S1toS60" will find us:)
Total Posts: 14,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunette
Its a bit like giving someone a phillips head screwdriver when the screw is suitable for a flat head screwdriver - yeah its a screwdriver but its fairly useless.
That is just soooo funny
  Reply With Quote
Reply To Topic

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT. The time now is 16:26.
POSTS ON THIS FORUM ARE NOT ACTIVELY MONITORED
Click "Report Post" under any post which may breach our terms of use.
©2002-2014 Sheffield Forum | Powered by vBulletin ©2014