Alternator Reconditioning Place near West Bar?

Hi all

Ages ago someone told me about a company down near West Bar that reconditions alternators on cars. I cant remember the company name though, and wondered if anyone knew of them?

I have a Mitsubishi FTO car, and my alternator is not kicking out enough current to keep my battery topped up. Every three or four weeks, I have to charge the battery up. Getting to be a pain now, so may get the thing reconditioned if possible. I have had other cars where the alternator went completely, needing a full replacement, but this one is still ok, just short on output volts, so I hope its salvageable.

Any ideas as to the company name would be great, or any alternative ones too!

Cheers

Bibble

Dunno about west bar, but there is a firm down attercliffe called autostart that recon them - it's on the lhs opposite that big indian restaurant on the corner.

Hi all

Ages ago someone told me about a company down near West Bar that reconditions alternators on cars. I cant remember the company name though, and wondered if anyone knew of them?

I have a Mitsubishi FTO car, and my alternator is not kicking out enough current to keep my battery topped up. Every three or four weeks, I have to charge the battery up. Getting to be a pain now, so may get the thing reconditioned if possible. I have had other cars where the alternator went completely, needing a full replacement, but this one is still ok, just short on output volts, so I hope its salvageable.

Any ideas as to the company name would be great, or any alternative ones too!

Cheers

Bibble

I'd advise getting an alternator check first:thumbsup:.

I've had a similar problem, which turned out to be a dying battery, I too first suspected the alternator, but the car bumped when the battery was not turning the engine.

chapmans was the place but I dont think it is there any more due to the road works that are ongoing dont know where they moved to but no doubt someone on here will know

yes chapmans are still there and it is now easier to find as the new shalesmoor widening has demolished some old buildings and chapmans now face the main road.

nice to see an established business doing well from a road widening scheme.

58, Trinity St, Sheffield, South Yorkshire S3 7AJ

Tel: 0114 272 4541

:thumbsup:

Chapmans is still in business, and it's located across from the Babyworld shop on Shalesmoor. They will take your alternator and recondition it ie. fit new bearings, diode pack, brushes etc and it'll be as good as a new 'un but for a fraction of the price.

Please bear with me ... I know what you are on about ... but what does FTO stand for?

Aaaah Bless.

Now .... it a fancy term for an import with some mileage on?

No, not a fancy term at all. Thats just what they are called. Fresh Touring Origination is the Japanese name as translated into English I believe, as another poster has just mentioned. It is an import though, all of them were, they were not originally available in the UK. Mine is a 1995 model with about 78k on it.

Chapmans is definately the name that was mentioned to me, I remember it now. One thing, if anyone knows - do they remove the alternator from the car for you if they are going to do the job? In other words, do they have automotive technicians there in addition to the staff who do the alternator reconditioning?

Thanks chaps - I knew somebody would be able to help

I'd advise getting an alternator check first:thumbsup:.

I've had a similar problem, which turned out to be a dying battery, I too first suspected the alternator, but the car bumped when the battery was not turning the engine.

Cheers for the advice Sccsux, but I am pretty sure its the alternator, or something to do with it. The car has a voltmeter in it, and when the engine is running its only reading about 12 volts, maybe just under. It should be reading at least 14 to 15 volts to keep the battery charged. The battery is quite new, about 8 months old. The volt reading of the battery gets lower each day, as if its not being topped up by the alternator. A guy at the shop I bought the battery from, the guy who mentioned Chapmans in fact, did a volt test on the old battery and said the alternator wasnt kicking out enough charge. It was at that battery shop behind the SUFC stadium, on the crossroads, end of John Street. Good shop actually.

Cheers

Dunno about west bar, but there is a firm down attercliffe called autostart that recon them - it's on the lhs opposite that big indian restaurant on the corner.

Ah yeah, I know the place. Close to where I work too. Thanks for that, I may well give them a go !

Ta