Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Where Can I Get A Cis / Css Card From ???

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield News & Discussions

Reply To Topic

28-11-2006, 10:41   #1
GardenGalore

Total Posts: 11
Anyone know where i can get one of these cards from so that i can work on building sites etc ???

Do you have to pay ???

Do you have to take a test ???

Thanks GG
_______
Gardening & Painting Services Available

Just Send Me A PM For More Info
28-11-2006, 11:06   #2
Thunzi
Lion King

Total Posts: 5,672
You have to take a test, the centre in Sheffield is at the top of the Moor. Go to www.citb-constructionskills.co.uk should tell you everything you need to know. It costs 17 for the actual test and another 15ish for the card itself. You get a book from citb with all the questions in, as long as you do a bit of revision it's fairly easy.
_______
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." Douglas Adams
28-11-2006, 11:07   #3
classicfan

Total Posts: 133
Hi GG,
SECAS in Sheffield, for CSCS card, Tel: 0114 2527550, they're on Edmund Rd Business Centre, yes you have to pay, aprox 100.00 but don't quote me.
Regards,
classicfan

Last edited by classicfan; 28-11-2006 at 16:04.
28-11-2006, 15:20   #4
dongle

Total Posts: 2,823
you dont need to take a test to get a cis card and dont have to pay anything. you need a photo and some id, take them into the inland revenue fill out a form and the card is sent to you.a cis card is for somebody who wants to work as self-employed as a subcontractor in the construction industry,you have to show the card to the person you subconract to to get paid.
28-11-2006, 16:15   #5
sezemeseeds

Total Posts: 426
go to the tax office for a form, photo and two forms of ID and you sorted
28-11-2006, 16:55   #6
Thunzi
Lion King

You need a CSCS card to gain access to and work on a building site though...
_______
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." Douglas Adams
28-11-2006, 17:57   #7
CAPRICORN_61

Total Posts: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonk
you dont need to take a test to get a cis card and dont have to pay anything. you need a photo and some id, take them into the inland revenue fill out a form and the card is sent to you.a cis card is for somebody who wants to work as self-employed as a subcontractor in the construction industry,you have to show the card to the person you subconract to to get paid.
Take a passport and anything else with your id to inland revenue
Sponsored Links
28-11-2006, 18:36   #8
fnkysknky
Forum Monkey

Total Posts: 4,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by GazE
You need a CSCS card to gain access to and work on a building site though...
Not all sites you don't. I've never had one and worked on plenty.

CIS card is for tax purposes.

CSCS is to show you're capable of what you say you are (nothing to do with making money - honest ). They're becoming more and more necessary.
28-11-2006, 18:41   #9
em2007
Forum's Nice Girl

Total Posts: 1,946
yeah my other half has one, just a card with photo, and has qualifications listed on back, he needs it to get onto sites tho. think you had to pay for it but his boss did.
28-11-2006, 18:41   #10
malton_s5
Forum Bad Boy

Total Posts: 715
Send a message via MSN to malton_s5
I Need A Card Too

Which One Is The Truth ???

28-11-2006, 20:44   #11
Sabbath

Total Posts: 5
CIS card is free from the Taxation office, I got mine in Rotherham near the bus station. CSCS card you have to pay for, I dont know how much though because the company I was subbying to at the time paid for it. You have to sit a multiple choice test, 30 questions mostly H&S at a place in Sheffield where you sit your driving test.
28-11-2006, 20:47   #12
Sabbath

Total Posts: 5
Or you can just phone up and say you want an appointment to sit a CSCS test but need a CSCS number right away, they take your details and give you a number. Give that number to your future employers, they phone up the CSCS people and check your details and bingo you are on site.
28-11-2006, 21:10   #13
tinkabel

Total Posts: 1,241
CSCS cards you pay for as someone said its about 17 for the test. My OH got a cd with some practise questions and answers on from ebay fairly cheap, saves buying the book. To be honest he said its all common sense anyway, if i remember rightly you have to get all the questions correct to pass, my OH's test was about dinner time, 40 people had done the test before him and only 2 passed so its quite hard but nothing you can revise for if that makes sense.
28-11-2006, 22:39   #14
Thunzi
Lion King

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkysknky
Not all sites you don't. I've never had one and worked on plenty.
Oh Absolutely, I go on sites as part of my job all the time, I've never once been asked to show my card before I'm allowed on. However, it is meant to be a legal requirement, or at least I thought it was!? From what I've been told a lot of companies don't ask you to show the card as if you don't have it they can't let you on to do the work you are there for, which doesn't make commercial sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkabel
CSCS cards you pay for as someone said its about 17 for the test. My OH got a cd with some practise questions and answers on from ebay fairly cheap, saves buying the book. To be honest he said its all common sense anyway, if i remember rightly you have to get all the questions correct to pass, my OH's test was about dinner time, 40 people had done the test before him and only 2 passed so its quite hard but nothing you can revise for if that makes sense.
It honestly only took me 6 minutes to do the test. I don't think I got everything right though (they don't actually give you a percentage). If you revise it is fairly easy, but a lot of it isn't actually common sense, it's stuff you need to know. Questions like how high a guide rail on scaffolding should be. I won't ever put up any scaffolding, or inspect it, but it's part of the questions, if I hadn't read the book I wouldn't have known.
_______
28-11-2006, 23:05   #15
britstu

Total Posts: 50
Here's a couple of link to give you all the facts

http://www.cscs.uk.com/

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cis/

Basically....

The CSCS card is an individual identification and registration card (similar to a credit card) which lasts for three or five years.

The CSCS card shows that the holder is considered to be competent at his or her job, lists any relevant certificates and also shows that the holder has undergone health and safety awareness training or testing.

Can't remember the excact cost of the CSCS card but think it's around 15. But if you request the forms off the site it'll tell you the current price on the forms.

Hope this helps.
_______
Joiner & Furniture Maker
(Stuart Moran Joinery)
Tel:07876751816
email:StuartMoranJoinery@yahoo.com
29-11-2006, 22:46   #16
BrianPotter

Total Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonk
...a cis card is for somebody who wants to work as self-employed as a subcontractor in the construction industry,you have to show the card to the person you subconract to to get paid.
like your 'own' fitters, plumbers and electricians?
30-11-2006, 08:05   #17
mattjon

Total Posts: 63
To obtain a CSCS Card is more difficult now than suggested by some answers. It is applicable to specific skills, some of which are related to NVQS. For example the demolition card is divided into Labourer then Mattock Man then Topman. The Labourer Card is very basic and is only valid for a specific time scale; the purpose of which is to allow the holder to make progress to topman level.

To progress within this framework you need to develop the skills required for each category.
The test that is mentioned is the Health and Safety Touch Screen test which establishes a basic competency in Health and Safety only.
It is part of the CSCS System in that you can not get a CSCS Card without taking the Touch Screen Test.The touch screen test needs to be re-taken every two years.
In relation to going on sites, many of the major contractors, Skanska, Balfour Beatty etc will not let you on site without the card. This being part of their strategy to reduce liability should there be an accident-they could at a minimum argue that an operative has a "deemed competency" to carry out the activity in which he/she may have been involved at the time of any accident.
There will always be sites that are not as rigorous but as time moves on they will become fewer.
30-11-2006, 08:27   #18
dongle

brain potter,
i dont know what your problem is?
30-11-2006, 08:30   #19
dongle

there are millions of people in this country who are self employed without them where would we be Mr potter,
30-11-2006, 17:39   #20
Tyranna

Total Posts: 2,607
I've passed the tests and got all the paperwork I need for the CSCS Card, but... with every employer I've contacted, they say 'you need the card' and when I took the test at Learn Direct, they said 'Go to the Employer and start work, and then you will get their signature and can send off the paperwork for the full (Green) CSCS Card'.

Result?

The paperwork, photos, ID et al. which I have painstakingly completed for my CSCS Card has been GATHERING DUST at home for Gone 4, perhaps 5 MONTHS NOW.

can anyone tell me of HOW, IN HEAVENS NAME, can I get my CSCS Card SORTED OUT!

Any advice would be most welcome!!!!!!
_______
Professional Cabaret Artiste located near City Centre, Equity Member and NON-SMOKER. Details HERE: http://www.tia-anna.com
Reply To Topic