Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Help me - trapped nerve!

Home > General > General Discussions

Reply To Topic

11-11-2006, 09:00   #1
jen229

Total Posts: 218
Can anyone offer any advice. I've had a trapped nerve in my shoulder blade for over a week now and it's driving me insane.

I've been applying a heat pack during the day whilst at work to try and offer some comfort but I really need it to stop now, I've had enough!!

Please help me before I go mad!!

Thanks
_______
Honestly, who throws a shoe?!

See and buy my handmade jewellery at:
www.revolvejewellery.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
11-11-2006, 11:06   #2
codeman_cas

Total Posts: 451
I went for chiropractor then massage , it took about 2 weeks to start to rectify itself, good luck

codeman
_______
http://wtohs.codeman.org - Share funny quotes and sayings from your other half.
http://wtks.codeman.org - Share funny quotes and sayings from the children.
http://www.vintage-chic.org.uk - Buy Stencils for shabby chic projects.
11-11-2006, 11:10   #3
hmr44

Total Posts: 3,296
My shoulders killing too, I always sleep on my right side and my right shoulder is really hurting today!

x
11-11-2006, 16:36   #4
Eleke95
Female Footie Fan

Total Posts: 1,589
Don't want to upset you, but are you sure it's a trapped nerve? I have had a similar problem with intense pain in my shoulder (which also now goes down my arm) for the past 6 months! Been to the doctor several times and he says it is muscle tension! He's given me exercises to do ~ which sometimes work, sometimes not. I'm now coming round to thinking that maybe I've got this for ever!
11-11-2006, 16:50   #5
getphysical

Total Posts: 426
Visit either your GP or a good Physio & get the problem diagnosed properly.Then you'll be advised on the best course of treatment.
11-11-2006, 16:52   #6
Funky_Gibbon

Total Posts: 4,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footiefreak
Don't want to upset you, but are you sure it's a trapped nerve? I have had a similar problem with intense pain in my shoulder (which also now goes down my arm) for the past 6 months! Been to the doctor several times and he says it is muscle tension! He's given me exercises to do ~ which sometimes work, sometimes not. I'm now coming round to thinking that maybe I've got this for ever!
I've got a similar problem with my back. My left shoulder is pretty much constantly in pain to a greater or lesser degree and because whatever the problem is is close to my spine the pain can be transported to anywhere on my body. When it first started I thought I had heart problems because the pain appeared in my chest instead of my back or shoulder. It scared the hell out of me.

My GP passed me onto a physio who showed me some exercises which helped for a bit but didn't really solve it. Like you I think this is something I'm going to have to live with because nothing my doctor or physio have suggested has done more than lessen the pain a bit.
11-11-2006, 17:15   #7
Andy78
Mostly Harmless

Total Posts: 2,235
Send a message via MSN to Andy78
I also have a trapped nerve that I woke up with yesterday in my right shoulder/back. It's most annoying.
_______
Like a shell twists round in spirals; dreams are all we have.
Sponsored Links
11-11-2006, 19:24   #8
summer1955

Total Posts: 877
i have had a trapped nerve in my spine for the last 15 years. was told it was carpel tunnel syndrome at first as most of my problems were in my fingers going numb and tingling but about 8 years ago they said it was not its a traped nerve in the topo of my spine and all they say is do these excercises that dont help much.its not too bad if i dont over do things and i find winter is the worse. even reading a newspaper i get tingling and cramp in my fingers.
11-11-2006, 19:47   #9
amandakm

Total Posts: 696
yep, trapped nerves in both my shoulders, i played ladies rugby in my youth, tight head prop, probably came from then, anyway, physio advised me to go swimming as often as i could, this was several years ago, it really helps, doesn't cure it but really stretches it out. Have also had physion more recently, she also recommended swimming. Doc also prescribes anti inflammatories when it gets really bad, winter definitely worse, avoid draughts and unless i'm sleeping i change position constantly, if i have to sit for extended periods, i always sit at a desk and set my chair slightly low, so i can rest my arms on the desk,

Go see your doc as if you leave it can become inflamed, get worse etc.
11-11-2006, 19:49   #10
bazzaevans

Total Posts: 4
good massage should sort thee owt
11-11-2006, 20:34   #11
D2J
Mr Binty

Total Posts: 6,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen229
Can anyone offer any advice. I've had a trapped nerve in my shoulder blade for over a week now and it's driving me insane.
I've had one for 11 months, well I had a trapped nerve that didn't heal properly which resulted in an EMG and MRI scan and several weeks of Physio...

Have you seen the Doctor?
_______
Did he call me Len again? You address me by my proper title... you little.......!
11-11-2006, 20:46   #12
pattricia
Miss Moneypenny

Total Posts: 74,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen229

I've been applying a heat pack during the day whilst at work to try and offer some comfort but I really need it to stop now, I've had enough!!

Please help me before I go mad!!

Thanks

I would advise a Chiropractor. They will first take an Xray,and wont do anything you dont want them to do.Mine is The Hillsborough Chiropractor Clinic,on Holme Lane at Hillsborough.I always see Sonya the owner.
12-11-2006, 08:56   #13
jen229

Total Posts: 218
Thanks everyone for your advice, I'm a bit worried about going down the Chiropractic route as I had an operation on my spine earlier this year and they sound like they can get a bit rough.

I'm hoping that it may just ease itself out, otherwise I shall graft a hotwater bottle to my skin for constant warmth!!!
_______
Honestly, who throws a shoe?!

See and buy my handmade jewellery at:
www.revolvejewellery.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
21-11-2006, 10:27   #14
Massage lady

Total Posts: 50
Hello

I'm sorry to hear of your pain! I'm a massage therapist and I have had alot of success treating conditions with symptoms similar to yours.

I believe that treatments are most effective if they are pleasurable
They definitely should not hurt! I offer a mobile service so can visit you at your home or another place, I sometimes use the Bohemian (Chesterfield Road) and The Airy Fairy (London Road).

You can find more details about me and my treatments on my website: http://www.theandreatouch.com

I'm holding an event at the Bohemian on Sunday 10th December where I'll be doing 15 minute treatments for 8. You can find more details at http://www.theandreatouch.com/the_healing_touch.htm

I look forward to hearing from you

Love Massage Lady
21-11-2006, 15:27   #15
DIVA

Total Posts: 3,429
READ THIS.

I can sympathise with the posters here. I have tried doctors, physios, chiroprachters, neurologists, had MR and MRI scans, etc in short - the whole lot! I suffered for over two years. What worked for me was several sessions with an experienced acupuncturist. I feel so lucky to be rid of this and have been virtually trouble free for the last four years.
20-02-2007, 07:37   #16
Leo1

Total Posts: 9
See a chiropractor. I see Dr Andrew Carr at his Wadsley Park/Middlewood Clinic at Hillsborough. I see him for my spine pain and he sorted it out for me very quickly. He is very good and knows his stuff. It's not rough and the pain relief........

The address on his business card is
Carr Clinic Group
50 Middlewood Drive East
Wadsley Park Village
Sheffield
S6 1RS

07813 496 395
20-02-2007, 07:49   #17
willman
WYSIWYG

Total Posts: 18,006
Send a message via ICQ to willman Send a message via MSN to willman
a family member had a trapped nerve in his back ,doctor advised heat packs for 3 days followed by ice packs for 3 days - did the job for him. he bought the little gel pack thingy's btw.
20-02-2007, 08:54   #18
therapyman

Total Posts: 69
Not all chiropractic is "rough".
There is a guy at Clinic One who does spinal therapy which is a lot more gentle, and it releases trapped nerves. Give him a call for a chat 236 4141
05-01-2009, 17:40   #19
supamog

Total Posts: 22
Send a message via AIM to supamog
hi all fellow sufferers out there! well the bad news is i have had this for 3yrs! the good news is, i saw our new GP today and feel more positive already. yeah so the hospital have lost the results of my scan etc, but these are now going to be chased up! new painkillers, referral to physio at the hospital of my choice, stop takin the beta blockers for migraines and see where we go from here. hey no complaints about my treatment just needed a fresh approach. so here's to getting a good nights sleep!
06-01-2009, 23:59   #20
bigbear

Total Posts: 252
Send a message via AIM to bigbear
what about asking your GP for a short course of corticosteriods if it's not chronic?
Reply To Topic