Get out and start spending

Another retailer Pound World has announced it's intent to close a quarter of it's shops in the UK.

This follows on from announcement from other high street retailers this year allong similar lines. Many retailers blaming the internet and on-line shopping for the reduction in footfall.

If we want the streets in future to be ruled over by ferral gangs and the only people outside are delivery drivers in armoured vans then we are going in the right direction. We need to get off our <removed> and go to the shops, go for a pint, talk to real people. Becauase if we don't the future is bleak. On-line will destroy communities and the economy because on-line isn't real.

Read this, then switch it off and go out. I'll see you in the pub later...

Edited by nikki-red

"On line isn't real" Really?

I can assure you, the things I buy online are real and I pay for them with real money.

So, to read into your post a bit more. I hate shopping and shops in general. All the queuing and having trolleys rammed into your ankles, not for me!! But it's not only about me. Lots of people enjoy this strange pass time. You can blame internet shopping for killing the high streets but the main point for most folks is price. Why would I go into town to buy an item that could be upwards of 30% more? (That's a guess) Maybe the Gov and councils need to get the rates down which could bring prices down, which could lead to more people buying in store... again just guessing.

The social side of things I agree with for the most part. Childhood does seem to be an online fantasy world to most. I see Mums and Dads walking with children but are more engrossed with their mobile phone rather that talking to the child. I spend quite a lot of time online but don't get the whole facebook kind of thing and posting pictures of your breakfast...odd. I have also seen deep friendships built online that carry on into "real" life. I feel that it's ok as long as people keep it in perspective. A bit like newspapers, don't believe everything you read. And just like real life, there are plenty of sharks just waiting to con the naive or vulnerable.

As for pubs, I doubt an online pub would never take off... or has it? That wouldn't be for me. Can't beat a pint and a chat at the local.

Another retailer Pound World has announced it's intent to close a quarter of it's shops in the UK.

This follows on from announcement from other high street retailers this year allong similar lines. Many retailers blaming the internet and on-line shopping for the reduction in footfall.

If we want the streets in future to be ruled over by ferral gangs and the only people outside are delivery drivers in armoured vans then we are going in the right direction. We need to get off our <removed> and go to the shops, go for a pint, talk to real people. Becauase if we don't the future is bleak. On-line will destroy communities and the economy because on-line isn't real.

I must be imagining all the stuff I buy online on Amazon and groceries online from Tesco....

If Pound World is going under I can assure you its competition from other high street pound shops (I know of at least three different ones), B&M, Home Bargains and Wilkos - NOT the internet.

Guest makapaka

Said it before and say it again - the internet will lead to the end of society as we know it.

Said it before and say it again - the internet will lead to the end of society as we know it.

Quoted for truth . . . and posted on the Internet :D

Just spent £1200 on a camera. Something Poundland doesn't sell and it was the cheapest online. Let shops close if they are uncompetitive.

Just spent £1200 on a camera. Something Poundland doesn't sell and it was the cheapest online. Let shops close if they are uncompetitive.

Show off :)

Show off :)

Not the point I was making lol. However, I give up on the argument how we should somehow have a duty to spend more to keep an old industry alive.

I buy most of my stuff online, from clothing to food. Postage tends to be cheaper than parking.

Can't remember the last time I went to a shop to buy clothes, but, for somethings only a shop will do. (Yes, I know this seems to negate my opening statement cyclone, we're talking averages here)

In the last week I've probably spent bout 100 online, 100 in local supermarkets and 100 in local shops (hardware stores an garden centres).

There is a future for both, market forces will determine the balance.

Its growing like cancer.

I have been on internet since 1993 and seen it change change and change into something from being free from the creative developers. To an internet taken over by money hungry selfish egoists.

Society is and has been misleading. You are an individual free from society. If society comes to the end you will live again free from its blinding rules and regulations that makes you think you are a part of society.

Society is like a prison, as soon as you see that you are free.