Sheffield Forum

Vauxhall Zafira Problem

Home > General > General Discussions

Reply To Topic
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
11-10-2006, 11:14   #1
never wrong
Registered User
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: ecclesfield
Total Posts: 1,607
I purchased a Vauxhall Zafira 29th. March 2006, and everything was ok until the 4th.October when I was travelling to Stansted.

Before setting off on my trip I checked the oil water and topped up the washer bottle as I always do before any trip of any distance such as the one I was taking. Apart from the washer bottle needing some water, the oil and water were ok. I had travelled approx ninety miles when the temprature light came on for approx 20 seconds and then went off. I decided to pull in at the first available moment to check the water, and I pulled in at the next garage which was approx two miles, as I pulled into the garage all the warning lights on the dashboard came on. every single one of them including the seat belt warning handbrake warning door open warning plus the usual engine warnig lights. On inspection the header tank was empty and the engine was hot I waited twenty minutes or so for the engine to cool down and refilled the header tank. After doing this the car would not start and never as done since.

The RAC transported the car back to Sheffield to Pentagon Vauxhall on Saville Street and I attended myself the following day. The service advisor
said the fault was no water because it was empty,I informed him that it had been filled the previous day, and the engine had not been run since so where did the water go to and he just shrugged his shoulders.
The car has been in the garage since that date and Vauxhall are refusing to repair the discussions re this are ongoing.

The point of this post is to get the following,should a car seven months old be expected to lose all its water without a there being a fault.
I believe the EMS or the ECU units failed and caused the breakdown and I know someone on the forum will either agree or disagree all I want is your honest opinions and possible ideas on what to do next. thank you
  Reply With Quote
11-10-2006, 11:55   #2
littlebasher
Registered User
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: S26
Total Posts: 1,804
Only so many places the water can go..

Either into the cylinders and out the exhaust
Into the Crankcase
Or a leak from the radiator, hoses or waterpump

If the water you topped the car up didnt leak straight out the bottom, it kind of suggests something more sinister.

All the dashlights probably came on as a result of the engine stopping (like they do when you turn on the ignition but dont start the car), sounds like you were lucky to get to a garage before it died.

It could be that the headgasket blew (due to a manufacturing fault) or worse still the cylinder head failing, again as a result of a manufacturing failure.

Either way, if its that new it should be their problem, not yours
_______
lf it bleeds, we can kill it
  Reply With Quote
11-10-2006, 12:00   #3
never wrong
Registered User
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: ecclesfield
Total Posts: 1,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by emperor_ming
Only so many places the water can go..

Either into the cylinders and out the exhaust
Into the Crankcase
Or a leak from the radiator, hoses or waterpump

If the water you topped the car up didnt leak straight out the bottom, it kind of suggests something more sinister.

All the dashlights probably came on as a result of the engine stopping (like they do when you turn on the ignition but dont start the car), sounds like you were lucky to get to a garage before it died.

It could be that the headgasket blew (due to a manufacturing fault) or worse still the cylinder head failing, again as a result of a manufacturing failure.

Either way, if its that new it should be their problem, not yours
thank you for comments and they match mine perfectly
  Reply With Quote
11-10-2006, 12:05   #4
Tomataheeed
Registered User
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Arse end of Totley
Total Posts: 1,340
Vauxhall's customer care line is 01582 427200. I used to work there a few years back.

Out of interest, have they supplied you with a replacement car whilst investigating?
  Reply With Quote
11-10-2006, 12:10   #5
medusa
mostly here
medusa's Avatar
 
Admin Team
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: in a recliner
Total Posts: 34,522
It certainly doesn't sound like something that should be happening with a new car- and the symptoms you describe sound very similar to personal experience of the cylinder head gasket failing, which should not happen on a new car.
_______
It's time for the Homeless Christmas Shoe Box appeal to come around again.
Please like, please share, please donate- everybody can donate something, even if that's just a tin of beans, to someone who has nothing.
https://www.facebook.com/Homelessshoeboxappeal?fref=ts
  Reply With Quote
11-10-2006, 12:11   #6
never wrong
Registered User
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: ecclesfield
Total Posts: 1,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomataheeed
Vauxhall's customer care line is 01582 427200. I used to work there a few years back.

Out of interest, have they supplied you with a replacement car whilst investigating?
I have a car but it has not been supplied by Vauxhall My car is leased so the lease company supplied one. Just to make another point I wont even have to pay for the repair the lease company will, I am only doing this to get a general idea
if Vauxhall should repair under warranty. the repair bill by the way is 3600+ VAT
  Reply With Quote
11-10-2006, 12:36   #7
Tomataheeed
Registered User
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Arse end of Totley
Total Posts: 1,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by never wrong
I have a car but it has not been supplied by Vauxhall My car is leased so the lease company supplied one. Just to make another point I wont even have to pay for the repair the lease company will, I am only doing this to get a general idea
if Vauxhall should repair under warranty. the repair bill by the way is 3600+ VAT
I'd imagine they would pay it. I had to look into this sort of thing all the time. If there is no obvious sign of abuse, Vauxhall will pay it. by the way, its in the dealer's interest to get the manufacturer to pay - they don't want to have the difficult conversation with the customer. The dealer cannot automatically go ahead with big repairs like this however - Vauxhall's own engineers will probably want to take a look at it to see what's gone wrong - that's probably the cause of the delay. Vauxhall will more than likely refund the leasing company's hire costs also.
  Reply With Quote
11-10-2006, 13:28   #8
never wrong
Registered User
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: ecclesfield
Total Posts: 1,607
The age of the car is the main point no car less than a year old should sufffer these problems it is a warranty job without a doubt

Last edited by never wrong; 11-10-2006 at 13:32.
  Reply With Quote
11-10-2006, 13:43   #9
butchill
Registered User
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Total Posts: 661
My mate had exactly the same problem a few months ago after about a month of arguements with Vauxhall they did it under warranty and changed some other things in the car that were according to them not connected with the breakdown "apparently" make,s you wonder does it not
  Reply With Quote
11-10-2006, 13:49   #10
Tomataheeed
Registered User
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Arse end of Totley
Total Posts: 1,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by never wrong
The age of the car is the main point no car less than a year old should sufffer these problems it is a warranty job without a doubt
Assuming there is no abuse, you are correct. You'd be surprised how badly some new cars are treated.
  Reply With Quote
11-10-2006, 14:14   #11
butchill
Registered User
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Total Posts: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomataheeed
Assuming there is no abuse, you are correct. You'd be surprised how badly some new cars are treated.
Which is why it was repaired under warranty I guess. The dealer and the manufacturer have to investigate - you'd be amazed how many warranty claims come in for faults that relate to problems after badly repaired accident damage.

Last edited by Kristian; 16-11-2006 at 12:18. Reason: Fixed quote
  Reply With Quote
11-10-2006, 14:49   #12
never wrong
Registered User
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: ecclesfield
Total Posts: 1,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by butchill

Which is why it was repaired under warranty I guess. The dealer and the manufacturer have to investigate - you'd be amazed how many warranty claims come in for faults that relate to problems after badly repaired accident damage.
It has never been in accident and never driven badly and it as not got excessive mileage. the oil and water were checked perodically also IT as not been repaired yet this is the purpose of the post

Last edited by Kristian; 16-11-2006 at 12:21. Reason: Fixed quote
  Reply With Quote
11-10-2006, 14:52   #13
Tomataheeed
Registered User
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Arse end of Totley
Total Posts: 1,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by never wrong

It has never been in accident and never driven badly and it as not got excessive mileage. the oil and water were checked perodically also IT as not been repaired yet this is the purpose of the post
I believe you Just trying to explain why these things sometimes take a little time.

Last edited by Kristian; 16-11-2006 at 12:22. Reason: Fixed quote
  Reply With Quote
11-10-2006, 15:46   #14
never wrong
Registered User
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: ecclesfield
Total Posts: 1,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by emperor_ming
Only so many places the water can go..

Either into the cylinders and out the exhaust
Into the Crankcase
Or a leak from the radiator, hoses or waterpump

If the water you topped the car up didnt leak straight out the bottom, it kind of suggests something more sinister.

All the dashlights probably came on as a result of the engine stopping (like they do when you turn on the ignition but dont start the car), sounds like you were lucky to get to a garage before it died.

It could be that the headgasket blew (due to a manufacturing fault) or worse still the cylinder head failing, again as a result of a manufacturing failure.

Either way, if its that new it should be their problem, not yours
Just noticed something in your post the engine was still running when all the lights came on
  Reply With Quote
16-11-2006, 10:30   #15
never wrong
Registered User
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: ecclesfield
Total Posts: 1,607
the car finally got sorted by vauxhall
new engine new radiator new ignition coil new oil sensor and finally a new ems
  Reply With Quote
16-11-2006, 11:49   #16
Strix
Registered User
Strix's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: SF of course!
Total Posts: 32,553
It was a diesel then?

*begins worrying about ours*
  Reply With Quote
16-11-2006, 11:52   #17
never wrong
Registered User
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: ecclesfield
Total Posts: 1,607
no it was petrol
  Reply With Quote
08-12-2008, 14:40   #18
melb1
Registered User
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Total Posts: 5
hi ive got a vauxhall zafira 1.6 x reg having problems with little or no power i have recently had a full new exhaust fitted and its like the exhaust is blocked its sucking air heavily through the carb no power when i put my food down even at low speeds but tick over is fine ive chanced the air flow meter - lamba sensor and epu valve still no difference please help im pulling my hair out !
  Reply With Quote
08-12-2008, 15:07   #19
convert
Registered User
convert's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Up a hill, awaiting the snow
Total Posts: 2,045
Was it OK before the new exhaust was fitted?

If so it could be a partial blockage in the new system.

Did you have a new cat' fitted as part of the exhaust? Often a blocked cat can cause these kind of issues.
  Reply With Quote
08-12-2008, 16:05   #20
melb1
Registered User
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Total Posts: 5
thanks we have said the cat was blocked from the start we had no problems b4 the exhaust was fitted and it had a full exhaust including cat fitted at savoy took it back to them and they say theres nothing wrong with it
  Reply With Quote
Reply To Topic

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT. The time now is 18:29.
POSTS ON THIS FORUM ARE NOT ACTIVELY MONITORED
Click "Report Post" under any post which may breach our terms of use.
©2002-2014 Sheffield Forum | Powered by vBulletin ©2014