Any new Sky Broadband people,having trouble ?

I registered with Sky Broadband,and decided to go for the top band(£10 per month) .A man came to install the broadband last Sunday.and my activation date was for the day after.Well it never happened,I just got on line with Sky today,after many ,many phone calls .They have no E Mail part set up,and it doesnt seem all that quick to me,(when youve clicked on etc;) Has anyone else in Sheffield had any trouble with their Sky installation.? We were already Sky customers for our t.v. set and thought there wouldnt be any trouble.Maybe its because my previous ISP was bt dial up connection.

Have a look here for more info.

I personally think Sky Broadband will be the new TalkTalk

I had my router installed on Thursday but my line hadn't been activated by BT, so today my router had a flashing amber light. I phoned Sky to ask why it was flashing and they told me that my account hadn't been activated and to phone back on Monday.

I had no problems gettting set up. Line activated on Thursday, Router arrived Friday. Plugged in, switched on...bingo, all working fine with good connection. Even managed to access the router config to map out some ports for P2P with no hassle.

No such luck. Not being on a BT line I don't qualify.. :mad:

I had no problems gettting set up. Line activated on Thursday, Router arrived Friday. Plugged in, switched on...bingo, all working fine with good connection. Even managed to access the router config to map out some ports for P2P with no hassle.

Which band did you go for ? Lower(free broadband)middle( £5 per month) higher(£10 per month). I went for £10 per month as I knew I couldnt install the sky router myself.The man wasnt here more than 10 mins,and left two microfilters in the box,which he didnt explain to me what to do with them.Also with being previously on dial up connection,had to change something on the computer itself before I could receive broadband.Says in the set up router book"If you have default dial up connections set up on your computer,make sure the Internet Options Connections page in Internet Explorer Tools is set to "Never dial a connection" This was never explained to me properly,and the man over the phone at Sky,had to guide me through this otherwise I would have been waiting forever,for connection.

Have you been able to use Skys E Mail site yet ? as it wont let me log on.Also I was supposed to have Macfee security automatically,and they told me to look for an "M" at the bottom of the right hand corner,but there isnt one there,so doesnt look as though thats on.Getting to the end of my tether with Sky.

Have you been able to use Skys E Mail site yet ? as it wont let me log on.Also I was supposed to have Macfee security automatically,and they told me to look for an "M" at the bottom of the right hand corner,but there isnt one there,so doesnt look as though thats on.Getting to the end of my tether with Sky.

We are on the 'connect' service at present as the full deal isn't available in our area yet. However it works the same way with the same modem as the other services.

I can understand your confusion - you ask for someone to come and fit it as you are not confident yourself, but they fail to provide the information you need to get it working fully. Definitely a bad installer. Installing myself was simple as I had already been using a router modem for 3 years now, and knew how to set it up (and you gotta love the 'wireless network setup' option in Windows XP...so easy to use).

I've not bothered with the sky e-mail site as I don't need it. I have my own domain and have 50 POP email accounts which I can use there, so no shortage of email accounts for me.

As for Macafee....I won't touch it with a bargepole! Past experience leads me away from the bloated system hogs that are Macafee or Norton. I'll stick with the routers built in firewall, the XP firewall, and AVG antivirus. 3 years of using that set-up, and not one problem.

As for Macafee....I won't touch it with a bargepole! Past experience leads me away from the bloated system hogs that are Macfee or Norton. I'll stick with the routers built in firewall, the XP firewall, and AVG antivirus. 3 years of using that set-up, and not one problem.

I would definitely agree with you about McAfee, it's not far behind Norton in the bloat stakes, I would never recommend it.

Why do you use the Windows firewall with your hardware firewall, it offers no outward protection....Just curious.;)

I would definitely agree with you about McAfee, it's not far behind Norton in the bloat stakes, I would never recommend it.

Why do you use the Windows firewall with your hardware firewall, it offers no outward protection....Just curious.;)

Always found it to be a reliable combinaton. Plus quite a few of PC forums and journals which I browse suggest it is a good combination.