Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Loft conversion or conservatory ?

Home > General > General Discussions

Reply To Topic

28-08-2006, 12:45   #1
nezza

Total Posts: 23
hi, we have a 2 bed semi and are considering either a loft convertion into another bedroom or a conservatory any one had either of these done and how much was the cost many thanks.
28-08-2006, 12:52   #2
never wrong

Total Posts: 1,607
Unless we have a mind reader on the forum I THINK THIS IS REALLY A IMPOSSIBLE POST to answer to many variables, give some idea of what you want and sizes etc. and then someone may be able to answer your questions
28-08-2006, 12:54   #3
macdee

Total Posts: 111
You would get more value from an extra bedroom. Loftconversion maybe 20,000 conservatory 5,000
28-08-2006, 13:00   #4
Cyclone

Total Posts: 53,020
The loft conversion will certainly cost more, but may well add more value to the house.

Have you confirmed that a loft conversion is actually possible though. Modern(ish) buildings have the roofing done differently to old ones. Anything built from the 60's onwards probably won't be suitable, and a modern W roof construction is definitely impossible.
_______
Ask yourself, what would Chuck Norris do?
28-08-2006, 14:31   #5
mm93fm

Total Posts: 29
Cyclone - http://www.restyleloft.co.uk/rooftype.html - "definitely impossible" is a bit strong isn't it?
28-08-2006, 18:42   #6
Cyclone

Total Posts: 53,020
Guess I fell into the 'most people' group then

Quote:
Due to this most people think there's no way their loft can be converted. With excellent planning and the use of steel beams designed by our structural engineer, we can remove the W shaped bracings and struts to create the open space required to convert your loft.
I can see the $$$ signs ringing up when they start talking about replacing the trusses with steel beams designed by a structural engineer.
_______
Ask yourself, what would Chuck Norris do?
28-08-2006, 18:55   #7
*Ryan*
The Game

Total Posts: 4,621
I have a 3 bed house, semi detatched.. I was wondering how much it would be for someone to basically convert my loft into a room? Surely no 20,000.?
_______
If im not back in 5 minutes, wait longer..
Sponsored Links
28-08-2006, 19:00   #8
Zaytsev
Account Closed

Total Posts: 4,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Ryan*
I have a 3 bed house, semi detatched.. I was wondering how much it would be for someone to basically convert my loft into a room? Surely no 20,000.?
20k is not out of the ordinary. Don't forget planning permission and you will need buildings regulations approval for the work.
31-01-2009, 17:05   #9
covghost

Total Posts: 8
I would personally go for the loft conversion, but i know this company who do both, seriously - google Plumbline Installations and check out their page, they're sheffield based too which is handy, they do ALL aspects to a really high standard.

Quality stuff,

Thanks
Rob
25-02-2010, 21:17   #10
123456A

Total Posts: 935
Just put a glass roof on your house.
26-02-2010, 09:00   #11
GrannyGranny

Total Posts: 2,544
Loft convertion on a decent size house will be 20k-30k but you will then have a 3 bed house & you will add signifigant value to your house. If you can get an en suit up there as well even better.
A decent sized conservatory can be upto 15k but you won't gain anywhere near that on the value.
Go for a loft conversion if possible.
26-02-2010, 09:24   #12
boyfriday

Total Posts: 30,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaytsev View Post
20k is not out of the ordinary. Don't forget planning permission and you will need buildings regulations approval for the work.
..and the consent of the leaseholder if the property is leasehold, if you overlook it can create all kinds of problems!
_______
"I have no colour prejudices nor caste prejudices nor creed prejudices. All I care to know is that a man is a human being, and that is enough for me; he can't be any worse." Mark Twain
26-02-2010, 10:13   #13
alchresearch

Total Posts: 25,266
Send a message via Yahoo to alchresearch
I had my loft converted a few years ago. It cost 15,000 (but that included new combi boiler and plumbing new rads to the loft) and took two weeks longer than planned, but that was because of bad weather.

It made such an improvement to the house, and increased the value more than the building work.

PM me if you want pics of "before" and "after".
26-02-2010, 13:16   #14
alexswfc

Total Posts: 163
conservatory sun yayayayay
26-02-2010, 15:43   #15
JoeS
Liaison Officer

Total Posts: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
The loft conversion will certainly cost more, but may well add more value to the house.
Not necessarily cost more, definitely add value.

Some practical advice would be to have a look at the other houses on your street and suss out whether other people have had it done and perhaps even go and ask them questions so you can draw cost comparisons.

With regards to newer, slimmer, webbed trusses, a piece of structural steel can solve many problems and allow loft conversion.
_______
Flickr
05-03-2010, 19:29   #16
BekkiBell

Total Posts: 12
Conservatories seem like a good idea, but they don't add much value to your home or your life. They're cold in the winter and too hot in the summer.

I would definately go with a loft conversion, but make sure you get a good company to do it. For a good conversion, you're looking upwards of 20K but they can add significant value to your house and really transform your home with wicked conversions such as en-suite bedroms, home offices, studios and gamesrooms.

I'm sure you've come across Restyle Loft and Garage Conversions in Sheffield. They're reputation is fantastic and the quality of their work is spot on. I do believe they have a waiting list, but they're worth waiting for.

Their website is www.restyleloft.com

Last edited by BekkiBell; 05-03-2010 at 19:36.
05-03-2010, 19:40   #17
chimay

Total Posts: 24,487
Why conservatory or a bedroom; 2 different living spaces unless you use the conservatory as a bedroom.
_______
This isn't war, this is pest control.

Grief is the price we pay for love.
02-07-2010, 11:15   #18
GrannyGranny

Total Posts: 2,544
That's correct but its still not seen as a permenent part of the house and in most cases will not last as long. Hence why a loft conversion adding another bedroom will add more value to your home.
23-01-2012, 21:49   #19
eg1man

Total Posts: 1
Doubt this thread's still live, but I'd endorse the recommendation above of plumbline developments. Dave and his lads did a fantastic job on our hip to gable loft conversion. Marcus
24-01-2012, 06:34   #20
Eater Sundae

Total Posts: 4,516
One thing to bear in mind if considering a loft conversion is how much room you might lose from your current bedrooms, in order to fit in the stairs. A lot depends on the layout of the house, and whether you need to create extra landing as well as the new staircase.

Also, you may need to strengthen the loft floor to make it a habitable room.
_______
Be an irresponsible eater, have your potatoes chipped
Reply To Topic