Gin and Tonic a cure for arthitic conditions?

I have been suffering with pain in my hands of late and tried all the pain killers plus Ibuprofen gels recommended by my GP

Most only provide a temporary relief and so a friend recommended me to try gin and tonic water.

Wonders among wonders it worked!.

After only a couple of large ones the pain disappeared and I was free of symptoms well into the following afternoon .,so has any one else noticed the wonder full medical use that can be associated with a good old G.And T.

Soon be time for my medicine:)

When I have really bad joint-aches (I have bad knees and regular basketball can really take it out of them) I have a whisky (or two, depending on how bad it is). Alcohol has a numbing effect, this is also why for centuries people cured thinks with herbal alcoholic drinks, think of Jagermeister, Akvavit, our native Beerenburg and so on, it wasn't the herbs that did the 'fixing' it was the alcohol.

My grandad always had a Jenever every night, frozen (the Jenever bottle lived in the freezer but the alcohol content made sure it was more of a glue) and he swore to the last day of his life that it helped him with arthritis. (btw, Jenever is what Gin is originally based on, the two are very similar)

Tonic water is actually supposed to be good for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.

Edited by nikki-red

Without wanting to be a wet blanket, I've heard it's possible to overdo drinking tonic water (not gin of course) due to the quinine content.

Without wanting to be a wet blanket, I've heard it's possible to overdo drinking tonic water (not gin of course) due to the quinine content.

Nonsense the pwoof is inn the puddding;)

Quite hard now as there isn't much quinine in tonic water these days. Good for cramp though apparently.

It was invented as a 'tonic' for malaria wasn't it? That is why there is quinine in it? I had a period where I just drank bitter lemon and only after weeks did I realise that my... toilet problems... were caused by the quinine.

I overheard two women telling how cider vinegar had helped one old man stay pain-free

I think it just masks the symptoms. It never cured my Nan's arthritis & she should know if anybody does.

I do not believe there is a cure for arthritis, but you can alleviate the symptons by diet. Cider vinegar and honey in small doses thrice daily is the basis of a book by Nurse Hill (* Treating Arthritis the Drug-Free Way) which my mother swears has kept her pain-free since she started using it and observing the other dietary principles recommended in the book. (Avoiding red meat and citrus fruits, eating whole foods, basically).

It has certainly worked for her.

* It used to be called Curing Arthritis, etc, but she was made to change the title.

Edited by aliceBB

My grandad always had a Jenever every night, frozen (the Jenever bottle lived in the freezer but the alcohol content made sure it was more of a glue) and he swore to the last day of his life that it helped him with arthritis. (btw, Jenever is what Gin is originally based on, the two are very similar)