The John Banner shop in The Wicker

As a kid in the early sixties I remember going into the Banner shop in the Wicker not far from the bridge. I recall some sort of funny money tokens being used shaped not unlike old threepenny bits, being placed in air tubes and whizzed around the shop, a bit like Tesco do nowadays but not half as much fun to watch as they were then.

I hope this really did happen and is not a figment of my imagination or the effects of drinking home made Russian wine whilst in the Royal Navy!!!

Anyone else remember BANNERS?

Jack Bowler

As a kid in the early sixties I remember going into the Banner shop in the Wicker not far from the bridge. I recall some sort of funny money tokens being used shaped not unlike old threepenny bits, being placed in air tubes and whizzed around the shop, a bit like Tesco do nowadays but not half as much fun to watch as they were then.

I hope this really did happen and is not a figment of my imagination or the effects of drinking home made Russian wine whilst in the Royal Navy!!!

Jack Bowler

Yes, John Banners was very popular now I think back, I thought it was down the moor though, guess not.

I remember a Banners on Attercliffe Road?? The tokens were part of a system whereby you got a cheque from a lender (loanee?) which could only be used at Banners. Any change from using the cheque had to be tokens (no cash). I think that's how it went can anyone verify?

PS that is how most of us kids got Whitsuntide clothes.

I remember Banners but not in The Wicker! My recollection was that it was on Attercliffe Road, just beyond Staniforth Road?

Jack Bowler

You remember almost correctly, It was on the right hand side just pass the junction of Attercliffe Rd and Staniforth Rd going out towards Rotherham. If I remember correctly it was a mini department store complete with escalators

I remember a Banners on Attercliffe Road?? The tokens were part of a system whereby you got a cheque from a lender (loanee?) which could only be used at Banners. Any change from using the cheque had to be tokens (no cash). I think that's how it went can anyone verify?

PS that is how most of us kids got Whitsuntide clothes.

Yes, this is how it was exactly....It was a big shop, 3 floors I think and yes it had escalators and a lift and yes I remember getting Whitsuntide clothes from there too and the Banners Cheque:thumbsup:

I actually had a job there in 1960, ladies fashions, 1st floor I think just before I got married.:)

Oh if only I knew then what I know now.:hihi:

Banner's building is still there ... but nowadays I think the upper floors are offices and the ground floor is several different shops. The Sari Shop is further down the road, I think. I drive past it several times a week so I'll try to remember to check it out next time :)

I remember Banners but not in The Wicker! My recollection was that it was on Attercliffe Road, just beyond Staniforth Road?

I'm sure that's right. They did have another shop at Firvale too.

Yes, this is how it was exactly....It was a big shop, 3 floors I think and yes it had escalators and a lift and yes I remember getting Whitsuntide clothes from there too and the Banners Cheque:thumbsup:

I actually had a job there in 1960, ladies fashions, 1st floor I think just before I got married.:)

Oh if only I knew then what I know now.:hihi:

Yea and it did have those air tube thingies which were fascinating to kids- and I was terrified of the escalators (first I'd ever seen and I was only lickle):P

Posh eh! ladies fashions!

Hello,

I remember Banners on Attercliffe road very well, but it was not in the Wicker. The first time I ever rode on an escalator was at Banner's. Remember the stair treads were all made of wood.

It was one of several good shops along there. Anybody remember a very good drapery shop, I think called Chapman's. It was on the same side as Banner's, between the Palace and Worksop Road. People used to come from all over town to buy materials there.

Falls

I too remember John Banners. I worked for a company that every put up the large christmas trees on the canopy, until one year they fell down on a very windy day and took out the power lines that ran down Attercliffe road.