My cat has just been diagnosed with a mass in his liver :(

Our oldest cat, Ianto, has just been diagnosed with a mass in his liver - it is around 1/3 of the size of the liver :(

Apparently because it is in the main part of the liver it is very close to the blood vessels, so it is inoperable. He is currently on fluids and spending a second night at the vets.

We go to see the vet tomorrow at 11am to find out what happens next and hopefully take him home - absolutely devastated and sat here with tears running down my face

Our oldest cat, Ianto, has just been diagnosed with a mass in his liver - it is around 1/3 of the size of the liver :(

Apparently because it is in the main part of the liver it is very close to the blood vessels, so it is inoperable. He is currently on fluids and spending a second night at the vets.

We go to see the vet tomorrow at 11am to find out what happens next and hopefully take him home - absolutely devastated and sat here with tears running down my face

Ah I'm so sorry for you and Ianto what a blow it must be, I hope that tomorrow brings good news for you all xx

it will be fine if you keep leaving the door open for it

So sorry to hear this,it's devastating when a pet is ill isn't it? sending positive thoughts and lots of hope for tomorrow and a big cyber hug for you :(

I hope Ianto will be home with you tomorrow good luck.

I'm sorry to hear that Ianto is so sick :(

He may yet have a while to be with you though, depending on the speed of growth of the tumour. Tiffy had advancing liver failure due to a mass in her liver for the last couple of years of her life. In her case it grew really slowly and the liver failure got to her before the tumour caused any other sort of damage.

I hope you get to take him home tomorrow and get some more quality time left with him :)

So so sorry to hear this. I know how hard it is.

thanks everyone, we've had a sleepless night - it's not the same when one of your pets is missing, but the vet called this morning to say he's had a good night and seems brighter x

We're going to get him a Waitrose rotisseri chicken on the way home (which is funny as we are vegetarian) to welcome him home.

We're going to get him a Waitrose rotisseri chicken on the way home (which is funny as we are vegetarian) to welcome him home.

Awww .... bless him ... hope he enjoys it.

Awww our childhood cat had liver cancer. Me & my brother's were 8, 10 & 12 respectively when we got her. She stayed with my mum & dad & watched us all grow up, leave home & start our families. She was the most beautiful contented cat ever. Aged 21 she got a bit of diarrhea so my mum took her to the vets. She too had a mass on her liver & couldn't be operated on. From diagnosis though my mum & dad got another year out of her. She didn't show any signs of pain. Her coat deteriorated and she did start to look unwell in the last few weeks though. On the night she died my mum & dad sat up with her till 2am but they felt she wanted to go alone & so they left her curled up in peace. She simply went to sleep & never woke up.

It was a beautiful death for a beautiful cat. I guess what I wanted to get over to you is that you might get a fair bit of time out of your lovely cat yet & it doesn't mean her end will be awful. Big hugs. One lucky puss getting a waitrose chicken for din dins while I eat my sandwiches lol.

aw thanks Bethsmummy, that is what I needed to hear x

Picked Ianto up, had a long chat with the vet - can't operate, so pointless doing a biopsy (just more stress for him), so 'treatment' is to cut his thyroid medicine dose in half and add another tablet to help the liver function.

Go back in 10 days to do a visual check and then bloods again in another 3 weeks or so.

In terms of life expectation, tumour sounds aggressive but for how he is reasonably chipper and eating, so we'll just take each day as it comes and hope for as long as possible.

Feel better now he is home with us again x