Sheffield Forum
Your message here

The Wagon and Horses (Wetherspoons) in Chapeltown

Home > Sheffield > Going out in Sheffield

Reply To Topic

09-10-2013, 20:15   #1
phil6028

Total Posts: 21
when does weatherspoons open in chapeltown? waiting to go for decent food as rest of chapeltown not very good, and pricey.
09-10-2013, 20:16   #2
Lozzylozenge

Total Posts: 475
Yesterday was it's opening day
_______
I don't try hard to fit in.....Because I was born to stand out!! ♥♥♥
09-10-2013, 20:20   #3
phil6028

Total Posts: 21
great stuff, will have to give it a try, cheers.
09-10-2013, 20:37   #4
Jabsy1978

Total Posts: 88
What is it called? That means there is 9 Wetherspoons in Sheffield now ...
09-10-2013, 21:16   #5
Doom

Total Posts: 3,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabsy1978 View Post
What is it called? That means there is 9 Wetherspoons in Sheffield now ...
The Wagon and Horses.

I had a look through the window last week, the conservatory area looks very nice.

It won't take long for the natives to make it look shabby.

I'm hoping to give it a go at the weekend.

We will now have to add this to our annual every Wetherspoons in Sheffield pub crawl....Now that will be a challenge.

Regards

Doom
10-10-2013, 07:50   #6
satman2222

Total Posts: 2,710
I went in on Tuesday. Very nice. The place was full in the early evening. Screaming kids banging plates with spoons unchallenged and multitudes of scruffy looking chavs eating/chewing with their mouths open took the edge off it for me though. Reminded me of that one day I went in Taybarns! Perhaps the clientele improve beyond feeding time.

_______
Big Brother is watching you!
Worldaid Foundation

Only know you love her when you let her go......
10-10-2013, 08:21   #7
No User Name

Total Posts: 4,032
Can someone change the thread title to reflect the actual correct spelling of the pub?
10-10-2013, 08:35   #8
Doom

Total Posts: 3,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by satman2222 View Post
I went in on Tuesday. Very nice. The place was full in the early evening. Screaming kids banging plates with spoons unchallenged and multitudes of scruffy looking chavs eating/chewing with their mouths open took the edge off it for me though. Reminded me of that one day I went in Taybarns! Perhaps the clientele improve beyond feeding time.

That sounds like what my wife witnessed when she drove past on Tuesday.

When we did the Wetherspoons pub crawl in July, our route was:

Bus to Woodseats Palace.

Walk to Sheaf Island (stopping off at White Lion for a swift one )

Walk to Francis Newton

Tram to Rawson Spring

Tram to Bankers Draft

Walk to Lloyds, Huntsman and then Swim.

Finish off with food in Piccolos.

How we'll fit the Waggon and Horses into that next Summer I'm not sure, but it could involve the train.

Regards

Doom
10-10-2013, 11:36   #9
alternageek
LI Moderator

Total Posts: 6,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by No User Name View Post
Can someone change the thread title to reflect the actual correct spelling of the pub?

Mod note:

Just for you

If you would like to chat, please take it the room on the left, thanks.

Please keep the thread on topic, thank you.
14-10-2013, 07:07   #10
Moustache

Total Posts: 15
Has anyone been on a weekend? Is it still the usual young crowd that used to frequent the waggon?
14-10-2013, 14:44   #11
Bruno

Total Posts: 3,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moustache View Post
Has anyone been on a weekend? Is it still the usual young crowd that used to frequent the waggon?
The weekend was busy throughout Chapeltown, it's a food pub serving meals till 11 pm with a full mixed age group frequenting the place.
15-10-2013, 15:12   #12
chelle 35

Total Posts: 391
we went for a meal about 6ish last night, found it very cold in the conservatory because the smoking area outside were through the doors where we were eating and were opened almost all of the time. The food was ok ish, Some of us were eating dessert while some hadn't even had there meal, there were 6 of us. The staff seemed to still be in training because they were even asking the customers to clear there own tables onto an empty table.
5 girls in comprehensive uniforms came in and sat behind us, I still had a pleasant evening but it was due to the company I was with x
16-10-2013, 13:02   #13
Bruno

Total Posts: 3,989
Anyone else get the no change scam? Is this same in all weatherspoons ?

Stella 2.99, Carling 2.59 etc but they never have any change in the till......
19-11-2013, 23:27   #14
POUNDSWORTH

Total Posts: 2,099
Went here yesterday,am not a fan of Wetherspoons at the best of times, but my dad is and as it was a family outing, and a pub for the tick list we made a visit.. now the only benifit (for me) to this chain is early opening for days out, and cheap prices...

I arrived early with the meet due at 1pm, and as a real ale fan went for the doom bar ale.. 2.59 ! well i can pay that any where, then the food the menu seemed very expensive for a "spoons " pub anyway. The decor even though new is a mix mash of tables.. false marble to the right on entry, cheap wooden on the left. The most noticable dislike here is the parking !! there is non. If your not local, street parking is difficult and the local pay car park is 2 for 1-2 hr.

So bare in mind i am byas, i awaited the family verdict.

Dads a regular at Wetherspoons , although he did not note the beer prices he certainly noticed the menu prices.Feeling a bit cheesed off.. we made a move.

Just to show as an example how the price structure seems to have changed(from my few past visits to the chain),after a couple of drinks, we moved on to the DRAWBRIDGE and paid 2.45 a pint for Bombardier, then on to the Manor Barn paying 2.40 for a pint of Acorn.

Now to be fair to the place the menu states beer prices from 2.29 a pint, but unlike other branches of the chain, had no prices on the pumps or a price list visable.

The whole set up is unlike the usual uniformed structure expected from the chain.

ONE FOR THE TICK LIST BUT ONE NEVER TO BE REVISITED.

Last edited by POUNDSWORTH; 19-11-2013 at 23:59.
20-11-2013, 18:46   #15
mickssister

Total Posts: 12
Had two visits to The Waggon & Horses, both at lunch times. The second visit on a Tuesday looked like a Kindergardten Outing.
Not my idea of a ideal Restaurant when kids are allowed to run riot. Can only hope my next vosit will be more of a pleasure, otherwise will go back to looking for other venues to enjoy Lunch
20-11-2013, 18:54   #16
surfinjim

Total Posts: 2,654
Can't believe people want to eat in there???? Lovely little cafe across the road from it called Lunchbreak, does lovely home cooked grub.

Maybe given Chaps best secret away there!

Jim
_______
"Get T'gorilla on!"

"A strong man looks after himself, a stronger man looks after others!"
20-11-2013, 18:56   #17
POUNDSWORTH

Total Posts: 2,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfinjim View Post
Can't believe people want to eat in there???? Lovely little cafe across the road from it called Lunchbreak, does lovely home cooked grub.

Maybe given Chaps best secret away there!

Jim
Ask em to put on some real ale then they are missing a trick
20-11-2013, 19:41   #18
partypixie

Total Posts: 281
Send a message via MSN to partypixie
I've been at different times - I went with my friend as a guest for the pre-opening in the middle of the day - everything seemed ok although the steak was not cooked as requeated - but given it was a freebie we didn't want to complain. The second time i went was on a Friday evening - it was really busy but still managed to find a table and order food.
The only issue here was that after ordering - someone came up to my friend to state that they didn't have her veggie option left - so just as she was choosing another option, someone brought it out for her - leaving the woman who came to our table slightly gobsmacked to say the least. After we had eaten, there was nothing left to stay for as no music or atmosphetre so we went on our merry way round chap.
Then we went in for breakfast the morning after; staff were just stood at one end of the bar talking amongst themselves - there were no clean spoons whatsoever and the manager was simply rude.
Haven't been back since.
_______
Tis far better to be looked over than over looked

Last edited by partypixie; 20-11-2013 at 19:42. Reason: spelling
21-11-2013, 21:34   #19
Zol06

Total Posts: 176
I've been on a Friday night, to me still has the vibe that it could kick off at anytime
Reply To Topic