Sheffield Forum
Your message here

The Girl Who Never Ate - SKY

Home > General > Entertainment Chat

Reply To Topic
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
26-06-2006, 21:36   #1
ANGELUS
Registered User
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Sheffield, UK
Total Posts: 5,828
Quote:
The story of Tia McCarthy, a seven-year-old girl with a rare disorder in which her oesophagus and stomach are unconnected. Despite corrective surgery, she has never eaten a morsel
Now far be it from me to be controversial, but as I watched this programme from my Sky+ box I came upon the following conclussion.

Its her MUMS fault that she still wont eat

So, why have I come to this conclussion.

Her mum mothers her to death, anyone watching this program will have seen the doctors at the austrian clinic they went to battling to try and stop the mum molly coddling the kid all the time, and also the final nail in the coffin for me- was the mums reluctance to finally pull out the tube thats been feeding Tia for the past seven years.. the doctors believed this would induce Tia to start eating, the mum still wouldnt have it.

So- the mum is at fault.
Through intense mollycoddling and also for the fact that I dont think she has done a proper job in bringing Tia up properly.

For starters- Tia didnt start walking properly until the age of 5.
She still wears nappies also but I guess this could be the result of liquid only food injected into her.

Another bold statement I'd like to make as well- and this is not a slur on single parents at all please understand but I found another reason that might be the case.

Being a single mum with 2 kids to look after- one has a problem, maybe the mum is getting a lot of benefits ie: disability for Tia, so she might not want her to be sorted properly, thats another thing that came to mind watching this program.

All in all - Tia is still not sorted, the tube is still inside her although smaller this time, Tia is still not eating solids albeit licking food- which is not a step forward for me.

What do other people think on this subject please?
  Reply With Quote
18-10-2006, 16:23   #2
nixpixnix
Registered User
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Total Posts: 37
I'm not sure you're still on line as you posted this thread ages ago. I just want to say how shocked i am by your ignorance. I have a child who is fed by tube. there are many people who do... due to heart defects etc etc. When a child is fed by tube they lose the sucking reflex, they can lose the whole ability and co-ordination of eating. it's a long battle. The fact that she didn't walk until she was 5 could have something to do with her history in hospital, causing developmental delay. I'm sure her mother has done everything she can, hence her going to austria. These issues are more complex than you realise, but i wouldn't expect an ignoramus like yourself to know that. You're probably one of those people on the street who STARES at a child who's just that little bit different. Contrary to your belief that 'licking food' is not a step forward, i'll have you know it's a MASSIVE step forward. Many children who are tube fed develop food aversions. why? they don't know what food is for, they don't know that it's meant to make them feel full or satisfy their hunger. if all they've ever known is the tube, why change? it's like someone turning around to you now and say 'right, you must insert this tube and eat through it'. would you like that? i don't think so. Tia's mother has fed her like that her whole life, of course she is going to be nervous and scared to suddenly stop. Wouldn't you? nope, you're probably super-mom. Actually i doubt you're a mother, no mother would make such a ridiculous statement, i'd like to hope anyway! I hope you never find yourself in tia's mom's situation.

Last edited by nixpixnix; 18-10-2006 at 16:42.
  Reply With Quote
18-10-2006, 18:28   #3
hmr44
Registered User
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Total Posts: 3,296
Aw well said NixPixNix, I don't think you can ever put yourself in somebody else's shoes unless you've been in them before.

I hope your child is ok now...
  Reply With Quote
18-10-2006, 18:42   #4
nixpixnix
Registered User
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Total Posts: 37
hiya, well we're going to austria ourselves! in 2 weeks in fact. very exciting. my child is doing good though, thanks for asking. just thought i would put old ignoramus straight. if i was tia's mother, and i read that... well... I'd feel a tad upset.
  Reply With Quote
18-10-2006, 18:50   #5
slh73
Registered User
slh73's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Arbourthorne, Sheffield
Total Posts: 2,757
Send a message via MSN to slh73
Quote:
Originally Posted by nixpixnix
hiya, well we're going to austria ourselves! in 2 weeks in fact. very exciting. my child is doing good though, thanks for asking. just thought i would put old ignoramus straight. if i was tia's mother, and i read that... well... I'd feel a tad upset.
Dont get wound up about angela, he tends to talk out of his arsehole.
  Reply With Quote
18-10-2006, 18:54   #6
Thunzi
Lion King
Thunzi's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Dubai
Total Posts: 5,672
Angelus being ignorant to other peoples feelings, I never thought I'd see the day that happened

Seriously though nixpixnix, good luck with everything. Hope it all works out.
_______
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." Douglas Adams
  Reply With Quote
18-10-2006, 18:58   #7
nixpixnix
Registered User
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Total Posts: 37
ooh i'm wound up alright. we have to deal with enough cr*p without having to deal with the likes of him. nevermind. I'm not going to be on here for long, i just joined so i could 'talk' to angela or whatever his name is.
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
18-10-2006, 19:15   #8
kirsten
Registered User
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Total Posts: 1
Well well well, the mind boggles...actually with statements like the one you made insinuating that the mother is clinging on to "benefits" - do you know the meaning of the word? Did you consider how "beneficial" it might be for that mother to not have to lug around a 5 year old who can't walk? Did you consider how "beneficial" it might be for that mother not to have to sterilize feeding paraphernalia all day long until her hands were covered in eczema and to have the "benefits" of popping a few mouthfuls of food into her hungry child's mouth?
How can someone like you be allowed to breed? I am sickened and appauled by your armchair diagnosis - on what grounds are you making these statements? I am a mother of 2 beautiful and thankfully healthy little girls. I thank god for them every day, and then I come across attitudes like yours and I truely dispair about the world into which they have been born...



Quote:
Originally Posted by ANGELUS
Now far be it from me to be controversial, but as I watched this programme from my Sky+ box I came upon the following conclussion.

Its her MUMS fault that she still wont eat

So, why have I come to this conclussion.

Her mum mothers her to death, anyone watching this program will have seen the doctors at the austrian clinic they went to battling to try and stop the mum molly coddling the kid all the time, and also the final nail in the coffin for me- was the mums reluctance to finally pull out the tube thats been feeding Tia for the past seven years.. the doctors believed this would induce Tia to start eating, the mum still wouldnt have it.

So- the mum is at fault.
Through intense mollycoddling and also for the fact that I dont think she has done a proper job in bringing Tia up properly.

For starters- Tia didnt start walking properly until the age of 5.
She still wears nappies also but I guess this could be the result of liquid only food injected into her.

Another bold statement I'd like to make as well- and this is not a slur on single parents at all please understand but I found another reason that might be the case.

Being a single mum with 2 kids to look after- one has a problem, maybe the mum is getting a lot of benefits ie: disability for Tia, so she might not want her to be sorted properly, thats another thing that came to mind watching this program.

All in all - Tia is still not sorted, the tube is still inside her although smaller this time, Tia is still not eating solids albeit licking food- which is not a step forward for me.

What do other people think on this subject please?
  Reply With Quote
19-10-2006, 15:28   #9
DaisyBoo
Registered User
DaisyBoo's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: sheffield
Total Posts: 1,279
totally off topic but the thread title reminded me....i work in broomhill and i keep seeing this girl who must have just started uni. she walks up and down to the uni everyday and she is just so thin. i have never seen anyone so thin in all my life and she wears really baggy clothes obviously trying to cover herself up. i feel really sorry for her as she is always on her own and she just looks so ill. i mentioned it to a colleague as she walked past and he was also shocked. i really hope this girl has some friends or something.
  Reply With Quote
20-10-2006, 10:51   #10
BasilRathbon
Registered User
BasilRathbon's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Fantasy Island
Total Posts: 15,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyBoo
totally off topic but the thread title reminded me....i work in broomhill and i keep seeing this girl who must have just started uni. she walks up and down to the uni everyday and she is just so thin. i have never seen anyone so thin in all my life and she wears really baggy clothes obviously trying to cover herself up. i feel really sorry for her as she is always on her own and she just looks so ill. i mentioned it to a colleague as she walked past and he was also shocked. i really hope this girl has some friends or something.
Maybe she's a supermodel?
_______
Wanna see Basil's vaguely interesting photos? Visit "Basil's Travels"

Wanna hear Basil's reasonably enjoyable music? Head for www.myspace.com/planetsoddingbliss.
  Reply With Quote
20-10-2006, 10:58   #11
Strix
Registered User
Strix's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: SF of course!
Total Posts: 32,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyBoo
totally off topic but the thread title reminded me....i work in broomhill and i keep seeing this girl who must have just started uni. she walks up and down to the uni everyday and she is just so thin. i have never seen anyone so thin in all my life and she wears really baggy clothes obviously trying to cover herself up. i feel really sorry for her as she is always on her own and she just looks so ill. i mentioned it to a colleague as she walked past and he was also shocked. i really hope this girl has some friends or something.
And perhaps it hasn't occurred to you that her clothes once fitted, and it's an illness that's caused her weight loss?
_______
please donate to Support Dogs - a Sheffield charity
see what Rain Rescue is up to - To donate, text RAIN04 (3/5/10) to 70070
  Reply With Quote
20-10-2006, 12:47   #12
Thunzi
Lion King
Thunzi's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Dubai
Total Posts: 5,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strix
And perhaps it hasn't occurred to you that her clothes once fitted, and it's an illness that's caused her weight loss?
I don't see why you are mad at her Strix? DaisyBoo was showing concern for the girl hoping she was alright and had friends to look after her, why does it matter if she considered that she was ill? Or have I missed the point entirely?
_______
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." Douglas Adams
  Reply With Quote
20-10-2006, 12:49   #13
Strix
Registered User
Strix's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: SF of course!
Total Posts: 32,529
Because the comments she's made about her 'trying to hide it' are only going to open the usual jar of worms
_______
please donate to Support Dogs - a Sheffield charity
see what Rain Rescue is up to - To donate, text RAIN04 (3/5/10) to 70070
  Reply With Quote
20-10-2006, 12:51   #14
Cyclone
Registered User
Cyclone's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Wadlsey
Total Posts: 53,020
I couldn't help but attribute some blame to the mother as well. I wouldn't suggest anything about benefits, that seems uncalled for.
But in 7 years she never thought to make the child hungry to induce her to eat.
Of course she doesn't eat, she knows she doesn't have too.

I think that if she'd have been at the clinic without her mother, she'd have left there eating like every other child does.
_______
Ask yourself, what would Chuck Norris do?
  Reply With Quote
20-10-2006, 13:05   #15
Thunzi
Lion King
Thunzi's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Dubai
Total Posts: 5,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strix
Because the comments she's made about her 'trying to hide it' are only going to open the usual jar of worms
Ok, thanks for pointing out why, I thought I was missing something.
_______
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." Douglas Adams
  Reply With Quote
20-10-2006, 13:23   #16
Strix
Registered User
Strix's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: SF of course!
Total Posts: 32,529
Cheers Gaz

Cyclone - the problem with allowing yourself to be the lifesource for another being, is that the relationship becomes mutually dependent and therefore destructive.

This woman has problems of her own. If her daughter suddenly no longer 'needs' her, her whole world will fall apart.

Perhaps the medical team need to address these two people as the one entity they have become?
_______
please donate to Support Dogs - a Sheffield charity
see what Rain Rescue is up to - To donate, text RAIN04 (3/5/10) to 70070
  Reply With Quote
20-10-2006, 14:15   #17
DaisyBoo
Registered User
DaisyBoo's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: sheffield
Total Posts: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strix
And perhaps it hasn't occurred to you that her clothes once fitted, and it's an illness that's caused her weight loss?
well yeah obviously or an eating disorder of somesort. its just she wears the biggest coat, scraf etc. wrapped up to the eyeballs when its not even that cold. she looks like she has an eating disorder to me. anyway no need to go off on one mate i was only concerned.
  Reply With Quote
20-10-2006, 14:35   #18
Strix
Registered User
Strix's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: SF of course!
Total Posts: 32,529
If you have no muscle tissue, you don't generate heat, and people talking about you when you're walking past really makes you feel fantastic about yourself too

Perhaps if you chose less derisory terms I wouldn't feel the need to defend her against your comments?

For your information, eating disorders are NOT the only illnesses that cause weight loss, and the whole experience is VERY distresing for the individual concerned
_______
please donate to Support Dogs - a Sheffield charity
see what Rain Rescue is up to - To donate, text RAIN04 (3/5/10) to 70070
  Reply With Quote
20-10-2006, 14:46   #19
DaisyBoo
Registered User
DaisyBoo's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: sheffield
Total Posts: 1,279
my god calm down will you this is not a personal insult against you so stop acting like it is. i was concered for her not gossiping about her!!!
and for your information i know eating disorders and NOT the only illness that cause weight loss, im not stupid. please dont talk as if i am a child its very patronising.
in future i will not be concered about people who appear ill and alone.
  Reply With Quote
20-10-2006, 14:49   #20
Strix
Registered User
Strix's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: SF of course!
Total Posts: 32,529
So long as you don't talk about them, as you did at Uni and on here
_______
please donate to Support Dogs - a Sheffield charity
see what Rain Rescue is up to - To donate, text RAIN04 (3/5/10) to 70070
  Reply With Quote
Reply To Topic

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT. The time now is 10:04.
POSTS ON THIS FORUM ARE NOT ACTIVELY MONITORED
Click "Report Post" under any post which may breach our terms of use.
©2002-2014 Sheffield Forum | Powered by vBulletin ©2014