Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Castle Market Closing Date

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield News & Discussions

Reply To Topic

29-05-2013, 21:54   #1
BEDROCK

Total Posts: 4,292
Hello, when does Castle Market finally close for good then as am sure they will have a due date in mind.

I would also love the area from Castle House all the way down to the Wicker to be demolished and redeveloped as it looks filthy and offensive.
29-05-2013, 22:03   #2
Mister M

Total Posts: 5,659
There was a petition or thread on Sheffield Forum a while ago entitled 'Leave Castle Market alone, it's ours'.

Good grief, it's a dump!!! I understand people's sentimental attatchment to a particular place but that wouldn't blind me to the fact it's an eyesore.

Having said that I don't agree that all of that area is offensive. The old Courts is a beautiful building, shame it can't be redeveloped, Same too with the old Post Office building - nobody would have the money or vision to build something as grand as those buildings. Not in Sheffield anyway.
I like Wilkinsons down there, and the fruit stall next to Wilkinsons
30-05-2013, 01:41   #3
Jabroni

Total Posts: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEDROCK View Post
Hello, when does Castle Market finally close for good then as am sure they will have a due date in mind.

I would also love the area from Castle House all the way down to the Wicker to be demolished and redeveloped as it looks filthy and offensive.

We should build a mental asylum there innit...
30-05-2013, 08:00   #4
wobblybob50

Total Posts: 298
Why can't the Old Court House/ Old Town Hall and Post Office be redeveloped? The area is a slum and its only Wilkinsons that keeps it open. There surely is someone with vision and ideas to open up this part of our city.
Good ridance to the Castle Market monstosity, the sooner its gone the better.
30-05-2013, 09:20   #5
Minimo

Total Posts: 3,948
If the old courts aren't ever going to be redeveloped, then sad as it would be, it might as well be demolished. It is only going to keep on deteriorating.
The ex main post office in Fitzalan Square hasn't been empty as long and surely something could be done with it. The universities seem to grab everything that's available, why don't they take it on.
30-05-2013, 09:30   #6
Bargepole23

Total Posts: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimo View Post
If the old courts aren't ever going to be redeveloped, then sad as it would be, it might as well be demolished. It is only going to keep on deteriorating.
The ex main post office in Fitzalan Square hasn't been empty as long and surely something could be done with it. The universities seem to grab everything that's available, why don't they take it on.
I thought plans had been mooted to use the old PO as a university/college for overseas students.

It would certainly inject some much needed cash and vibrancy into the area. Demolish the old market buildings and open the site up as a parkland setting for the castle ruins, running down to the canal basin, and downgrade the road separating the canal basin from the market area.

All thats needed is a bucketload of cash....
30-05-2013, 12:33   #7
AndrewC

Total Posts: 1,936
Plans definitely afoot to reuse the Post Office; don't think anyone will touch the old town hall though.
30-05-2013, 13:35   #8
WallBuilder

Total Posts: 4,314
It's a shame that nobody bothered to pop along to the display about the city masterplan, the old post office is going to be developed which means that the square is also going to get a facelift according to one of the officers i spoke to. The old courthouse is privately owned but I was also told that work to develop that area would be far more likely to happen once the market has been moved
_______
Life, don't talk to me about life
30-05-2013, 18:10   #9
brian1941

Total Posts: 1,194
Quote:

---------------------
Why yer not thinking of nicking lead off the roof are you.
30-05-2013, 18:43   #10
The Giraffe

Total Posts: 645
Have a look at the link and see what we're trying to do with the area.

http://friendsofsheffieldcastle.org.uk
_______
Seize the day! (Robin Williams.....Dead Poets Society)
30-05-2013, 18:48   #11
mrplodge

Total Posts: 553
Send a message via AIM to mrplodge
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Giraffe View Post

My bullguard software says your link has been listed as a malicious site
30-05-2013, 19:12   #12
woah

Total Posts: 130
I'd quite like to know what's in store for Castle House. It's been five years and still it sits empty in a prime space in town. Surely there is something that can be done with it to attract a store (or several stores) to move there?
30-05-2013, 19:23   #13
The Giraffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplodge View Post
My bullguard software says your link has been listed as a malicious site
Oh dear! it's a genuine thing! - google Friends of Sheffield Castle and have a look
_______
30-05-2013, 19:31   #14
cuttsie

Total Posts: 5,580
Quote:

I have studied the link and it looks very impressive however it is presumptive and there is no evidence whatsoever to suggest that any worthwhile remains of the castle exist.

Any one with any knowledge in the building trade will know that in the construction of a substantial building such as Castle Market then the foundations go down to solid ground ,ground that is below any previous construction.

This is what happened at Castle Market and during that construction no remains of any significance where uncovered.

Further to this I would like to point out that as champions of Sheffield's past history you ignore the trading area that has been on that spot before any castle was ever built and in so doing are ignoring an even more important part of Sheffield's history ,every day living history, that will be destroyed forever because of a minority group who have used their influence to erase a thousand years of Sheffielders trading on or near that spot.
Who knows one day we may have a thread on why did we destroy the Market area as we often still get in regard to the Rag and Tag.

Last edited by cuttsie; 30-05-2013 at 19:36.
30-05-2013, 19:45   #15
clarissa

Total Posts: 1,157
Quote:

Interesting site. Thank you.
30-05-2013, 20:02   #16
cuttsie

Total Posts: 5,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by woah View Post
I'd quite like to know what's in store for Castle House. It's been five years and still it sits empty in a prime space in town. Surely there is something that can be done with it to attract a store (or several stores) to move there?
Make it into a Market [Council permission needed of course]
30-05-2013, 20:04   #17
The Giraffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarissa View Post
Interesting site. Thank you.

You're welcome!
_______
30-05-2013, 20:18   #18
SevenRivers

Total Posts: 2,919
Quote:

And carry on all the way up Spital Hill
02-06-2013, 19:52   #19
Bypassblade

Total Posts: 12,816
We all know the area round CM is a dump, and many see the market as a dump but, it's our dump and has character. I wonder if a lot of folk on here remember the old rag & tag, now that was a market.

I know we have to move on, but why couldn't the area and market be redeveloped and left there, because we have a crap council, who have no foresight, as it said look at all the old buildings just left to decay.
02-06-2013, 20:04   #20
LeMaquis

Total Posts: 6,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bypassblade View Post
I know we have to move on, but why couldn't the area and market be redeveloped and left there, because we have a crap council, who have no foresight, as it said look at all the old buildings just left to decay.
Might that be because a new market is being built at Moorfoot and therefore redeveloping Castle Market would be a waste of money? Personally I rather see some old castle ruins than a market we'll no longer need, redeveloped or not.
_______
Vive La Résistance
Reply To Topic