Newton Chambers

Is there anyone reading this..who worked at Thorncliffe in the fifties to Sixties ???.

Hi Timbuck, my mum worked there, but i think it was in the late 40's she had me in 1951 so i think she may have left work maybe 1950, she was called Betty Marshall, do you remember anyone of that name.

Cazzie, does your mum have a sister named Maureen?

Originally posted by Timbuck

Is there anyone reading this..who worked at Thorncliffe in the fifties to Sixties ???.

I didn't ... but the father of a schoolpal did.

His name is Reynolds and lived at Sheffield Lane Top off Elm Lane.

Always drove VW Beetles which were quite rare in early sixties.

Isn't that where they made the dreaded shiny bog paper?

Andy

That was IZAL which was on Station Road on the edge of the Newton Chambers estate. It's housing now.

I remember the queues of a couple of hundred people all the way down the hill from Fishwicks fish shop on Friday lunchtimes :)

Fab fish n chips, and scallops for 4p

Hi Oldtimer, Sorry Mum (Betty Marshal) was an only child, her full name was actually Margaret Betty Marshall, but she preferred to be called Betty, does anyone remember her.

I used to live in the houses belonging to Nwton Chambers, my Dad worked at Thorncliffe from about 56 till it closed down. I got into bother because" I said dad made toilet rolls and his job was a " radial arm driller something we were made to understand was important to him. Does anyone remember C.Kelly?

I remember C. Kelly...I was a marker out in the machine shop and I used to keep the radial drillers going by marking out all the holes they had to drill..other drillers there were.. Emile Mignon a frenchman from Brittany.....Jim Rice...Fred Price, There was about a dozen radial drillers who worked there.

My father worked there, in the late 40's and 50's I think. Harry Giblin - he was a sales rep I believe. Does anyone remember him?

my nan worked there - margeret reilly (nee wright)

I started work at Newton Chambers in 1964 as an apprentice moulder in the foundry. I left in 1970 as the foundry was on its last legs. The training officer was S. Moore. I remember the foremen, Jim Steel, Jack Knight,Cliff Whittington and George Molyneux. The foundry managers name was Maine.

We started work in the training center- just off Thorncliffe Lane. The trainer for the foundry lads was Herbert Pinder a local man and a gentleman. The work was often hard,dirty and hot but it was more challenging than most of the jobs done by working people today. I would go back tomorrow if I had the chance [ and the strength to do it ]. Working with molten iron was scary- you had to be able to depend on your mates if anything went wrong.

I lived on the old WestwoodRows at that time, but thats another story.

Happy Days.