Multi-vitamins, a good thing?

Hi

I have taken multi-vitamins for years, but they dont seem that popular. Why not?

Do you people out there think that you eat healthy enough to get 100% of the vitamins that you need from your diet? A few years ago I was told by my doc, that I was a little low on iron, I had slackened off taking the vitamins!

Because they were bad mouthed a few years ago

It maybe posible to have too much of something, whether that is a McDonalds with too much salt or vitamins with too much iron.

But surely its not negative to pop a pill every few days?

the trouble with multivitamins is they offer a few specific ingredients, whereas fresh food contains hundreds of micronutrients which the body needs and could never be replaced by pills.

---------- Post added 29-03-2013 at 08:46 ----------

But surely its not negative to pop a pill every few days?

Correct, however you must not think that this would make a bad diet into a good one, you still need to eat a varied and healthy diet.

The number of types of vitamins, their dosage, purity, etc. Unfortunately the consumer is not able to check out these things but have to go by the labels.So when you go for multivitamins, buy a reputable brand during their sale offers. Make sure it has some zinc and selenium (minerals) in it because these help to boost your immune system.

I try and get a mixture of types and brands, because its imposible to know their effectiveness.

I think its money well spent.

Have taken a multi vitamin a day for years as has been said hard to tell how effective they are but have noticed my health overall is worse on the odd times I have stopped.probably best to get your vitamins naturally from the food you eat but as I don't I think this is better than not at all

I think it's widely agreed that multi-vitamins are a waste of money and that most people will get what they need from their food if they have a decent diet, and they can possibly be detrimental to you.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7349980.stm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2078861/Taking-multi-vitamin-pills-does-health.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/features/are-vitamin-supplements-actually-bad-for-us-1033487.html

Completed waste of money,my daughter in law is a dietitian she says a balanced diet gives you all the possible vitamins you need to live a healthy life.

Completed waste of money,my daughter in law is a dietitian she says a balanced diet gives you all the possible vitamins you need to live a healthy life.

Perhaps of use for those with an unbalanced diet?Do you have a balanced diet-I do not for various reasons.

Hi

I have taken multi-vitamins for years, but they dont seem that popular. Why not?

They're completely unnecessary for most people most of the time.

What is your idea of a ballanced diet, and how many people eat a ballanced diet?

Some independent market studies suggest that vegetarians constitute 7% to 11% of the UK adult population (4 million people). I think that is quite a high figure.

In the UK McDonald's served a record 325m customers.

Perhaps of use for those with an unbalanced diet?Do you have a balanced diet-I do not for various reasons.

If you are on about the cost of a balanced diet, junk food and take away's cost a lot more than good food to buy,I like to think I have a balanced diet a few vegetables and fruit a week bit of meat or fish not to many fried things that's all you need really.