Your message here

Treeton Dyke - Swimming

Home > General > General Discussions

Reply To Topic

25-02-2013, 14:41   #1
Torr3x

Total Posts: 128
Afternoon one and all,

Was biking down at Dyke this weekend when i came across some signs I had not seen before. True I've not been down for some time so maybe it's already come up on here. Anyhow, the sign i saw "Swimming in this lake is illegal". Didn't look to official so possibly it's only just gone up and the weather has made it look old. Wasn't aware it had (or always had been) illegal to swim in dyke. Got fond memories growing up playing in the water in the summer months and was where i first learnt to swim. Maybe it's just there to scare people off from being silly and messing in the winter months, not sure. Just seems odd after years of seeing people swim there that a sign has just gone up.

Interested to hear from anyone who can shed light on this or can share memories of swimming there themselves.

Torr3x
07-03-2013, 15:49   #2
spider1

Total Posts: 2,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torr3x View Post
Afternoon one and all,

Was biking down at Dyke this weekend when i came across some signs I had not seen before. True I've not been down for some time so maybe it's already come up on here. Anyhow, the sign i saw "Swimming in this lake is illegal". Didn't look to official so possibly it's only just gone up and the weather has made it look old. Wasn't aware it had (or always had been) illegal to swim in dyke. Got fond memories growing up playing in the water in the summer months and was where i first learnt to swim. Maybe it's just there to scare people off from being silly and messing in the winter months, not sure. Just seems odd after years of seeing people swim there that a sign has just gone up.

Interested to hear from anyone who can shed light on this or can share memories of swimming there themselves.

Torr3x
Treeton angling club and sailing club have put the signs up.. Make kids aware of the dangers as the boats are high speed boats
07-03-2013, 16:04   #3
lens a tener

Total Posts: 201
I was swimming there in the sixtes as a kid had some great times there
07-03-2013, 17:17   #4
shanes teeth

Total Posts: 6,072
You want to be careful.There's a huge pike that lives in there and it'll have your plums for it's dinner!
07-03-2013, 19:03   #5
sand_dollars

Total Posts: 1,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanes teeth View Post
You want to be careful.There's a huge pike that lives in there and it'll have your plums for it's dinner!
They caught it last week and served it up at the chippy next to JTF
07-03-2013, 19:06   #6
melthebell
*gets coat*

Total Posts: 47,870
Send a message via MSN to melthebell Send a message via Yahoo to melthebell
i used to go swimming there in the summers in the early 80s, was always supposed to be a dangerous place tho, with submerged dangers, leeches, pollution etc, watching dead sticklebacks floating past you was always a bit iffy lol

was one or two speedboats back then but i suppose if a clubs taken over it, is it public or private? suppose if its private for them then yeah itd be illegal to swim in
_______
Does your wife know what your up to mel when your in your own little world?
07-03-2013, 22:32   #7
spider1

Quote:
Originally Posted by melthebell View Post
i used to go swimming there in the summers in the early 80s, was always supposed to be a dangerous place tho, with submerged dangers, leeches, pollution etc, watching dead sticklebacks floating past you was always a bit iffy lol

was one or two speedboats back then but i suppose if a clubs taken over it, is it public or private? suppose if its private for them then yeah itd be illegal to swim in

The sailing club owns Treeton Dyke . Treeton Angling club leases the water from them. The angling club is open to new members next wednesday 13th march at 8pm at the cricket club . Think its about 25 for new members O.A.P. 15. Plus one of payment of 20 for key to gate. Car behind you on every peg . They put a load of bream and carp in 2012.
Sponsored Links
08-03-2013, 10:03   #8
alchresearch

Total Posts: 25,516
Send a message via Yahoo to alchresearch
Rotherham Council own Treeton Dyke.

Its not even a sailing club, but a water skiing one, who pay to use it.
08-03-2013, 11:35   #9
spider1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchresearch View Post
Rotherham Council own Treeton Dyke.

Its not even a sailing club, but a water skiing one, who pay to use it.
No they dont .Rotherham council own the woods on the road side which go down to the edge of the dyke on the wood side . The dyke is owned by the boat club that has high speed boats pulling skiers and can be very dangerous for swimmers. Treeton angling pay subs to boat club . A. C own access by a gate near railway bridge which they pay a token sum to R.C.for. Boat sailing club have there own access road via main road and cannot be used by A/C. Acess roads round the rest of the dyke belongs to boating club [ A/C committe member] The boating sailing club own the dyke and do not lease it from R/C. They bought it just after 2nd world war for a palatry sum.
08-03-2013, 12:02   #10
EASTWOOD141

Total Posts: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by lens a tener View Post
I was swimming there in the sixtes as a kid had some great times there
That's why it's Polluted now.
_______
He who dares wins, Rodney.
08-03-2013, 12:59   #11
alchresearch

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider1 View Post
No they dont .Rotherham council own the woods on the road side which go down to the edge of the dyke on the wood side . The dyke is owned by the boat club that has high speed boats pulling skiers and can be very dangerous for swimmers.
Sorry but you're wrong. The council has recently warned a group of wild swimmers that they're trespassing on council property and could be arrested under the "crime" of "theft of amenity" if they continue to swim in the dyke.

The ski club and angling club both pay Rotherham Council to use the dyke.

I know this because I've been helping said swimming group with their legal case.

The swimmers aren't even in the water at the routes the boats use.

Last edited by alchresearch; 08-03-2013 at 13:05.
08-03-2013, 13:07   #12
EASTWOOD141

Total Posts: 519
Quote:
Sorry but you're wrong. The council has recently warned a group of wild swimmers that they're trespassing on council property and could be arrested under the "crime" of "theft of amenity" if they continue to swim in the dyke.

I know this because I've been helping said swimming group with their legal case.

It used to be a part of Treeton pit. like Rother valley was Brookhouse pit.
_______
He who dares wins, Rodney.
08-03-2013, 13:21   #13
alchresearch

It was originally the course of the Rother. Then it was canalised to the west of the railway line, and the water was used for the colliery like you say.

I've got some 1950's OS maps which show it as the river:

http://nwex.co.uk/temp/dyke.png
08-03-2013, 18:49   #14
jemson

Total Posts: 2,215
The OH goes swimming there occasionally. There`s an Open Water swimming group that use it quite often and they usually incur the wrath of someone or other, either residents (about parking) or people ******* about with boats pretending they`re in the Florida Keys.
08-03-2013, 18:53   #15
Halibut
Hooked

Total Posts: 28,529
Quote:

You've just risen a couple of places on my personal respect-o-meter, nice one.
_______
This machine kills fascists. Up the Roma!

Last edited by Halibut; 08-03-2013 at 18:58.
08-03-2013, 19:04   #16
jemson

Total Posts: 2,215
Dove Dippers are the group and the speed boats have been known to try to intimidate them by getting too close and shouting at them.
08-03-2013, 21:07   #17
Astonblade

Total Posts: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by melthebell View Post
I'd forgotton about the leeches!!! Gross
As I remember there was a metal pylon at the end nearest the railway line, and two dead trees. The mud on the lake bed was really soft on your feet too!!!
09-03-2013, 13:30   #18
rodnreeluk

Total Posts: 174
Quote:
If you are helping the swimmers I suggest you double-check your "facts". There are no restrictions as to where the boats can go other than common sense ones (depth, obstructions, etc). The angling club does not pay Rotherham council - it pays the boating club for the fishing rights.
_______
I like long walks - especially when they are taken by those who annoy me
09-03-2013, 14:32   #19
cgksheff

Total Posts: 20,926
The Dyke is jointly owned by RMBC and South Yorkshire Boat and Ski Club (SYBSC).

The land around the dyke is owned by SYBSC and rights are leased to the anglers.

The wood is owned by RMBC.
09-03-2013, 15:04   #20
spider1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodnreeluk View Post
If you are helping the swimmers I suggest you double-check your "facts". There are no restrictions as to where the boats can go other than common sense ones (depth, obstructions, etc). The angling club does not pay Rotherham council - it pays the boating club for the fishing rights.
:loopy :Make your mind up you say the angling club pays R C. to use the dyke and you then say they dont, they pay the boating club. The only money the fishing club pays R. C. is a token sum to use an access road near the railway bridge. The angling club have to ask permission from boating club before they can do any work on the dyke tree pruning e.t.c. Whether the boating club have to pay rates on the dyke for maintenance on there access road i dont know. Regarding swimmers i fish the dyke 3 times a week in the summer and never see any except kids at holiday time. Swimmers should beware if speed boats are on but as i never see any whats the problem . Regarding rights i would think the boating club says who does what and if any one gets seriously hurt when swiming its there own fault STUPID IS AS STUPID DOES
Reply To Topic