Sheffield Forum
Your message here

New Sainsburys in Bradway?

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield News & Discussions

Reply To Topic

01-05-2013, 21:43   #41

Total Posts: 843
The planning application has gone in and can be viewed online at; http://publicaccess.sheffield.gov.uk...=MLI46VNYFY000

A rather bland building to replace one with a degree of character. Curious how Sainsbury's have not bought out Coral and are building round them, apparently taking all their parking.
01-05-2013, 21:52   #42
Andy C

Total Posts: 6,813
The bookmakers shop is actually part of the same property as the pub so Sainsburys will be buying both. Local rumour is that when the lease expires Coral will move to the former Natwest bank premises.

---------- Post added 01-05-2013 at 22:58 ----------

See what you mean about the Coral bookmakers shop unit http://publicaccess.sheffield.gov.uk...LAN-678478.pdf
01-05-2013, 22:05   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy C View Post
The bookmakers shop is actually part of the same property as the pub so Sainsburys will be buying both. Local rumour is that when the lease expires Coral will move to the former Natwest bank premises.

---------- Post added 01-05-2013 at 22:58 ----------

See what you mean about the Coral bookmakers shop unit http://publicaccess.sheffield.gov.uk...LAN-678478.pdf
If Coral's lease is due to run out in the next 2 or 3 years, surely Sainsbury's would have bought them out and incorporated their section into their plans? Obviously, if the new store does well (assuming it goes ahead) it may need more space, but it would be more expensive to have to demolish Coral's and build an extension at a later date than buy out their lease now.

Rumour I heard suggested it might be another bookmaker going into NatWest building, but rumours aren't facts. Of course this may all be shadow boxing!! Maybe Coral's have demanded a high price and Sainsbury's are showing they don't really need their site, but will smother them.
02-05-2013, 05:22   #44
perplexed

Total Posts: 2,828
Hmm, the proposal is a bit bland.

Sainsbury's look to be putting up an identikit building, when they could use a bit of imagination and put something a bit more stylish up. Can't see any planting or softening of the building either. It just looks functional.
_______
"there are a significant number of posts on this forum which belong firmly in the Circumlocution office..."
02-05-2013, 06:33   #45
dawny1970

Total Posts: 2,464
Send a message via MSN to dawny1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaumiers
"wannabe snobs". Where did you get the wannabe bit from, there is no wannabe about me. I assume you have moved away from Bradway to give yourself more opportunity to fight and vomit on the pavement, hopefully, you now live next to a really nice "Spoons".
upper working class trying to be middle class, worst sort, the really nice people are the upper class, i know, i lived and worked in ascott many years ago and met both types!!!

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android
_______
the bad news is time flies, the good news is your the pilot
04-05-2013, 07:22   #46
Gaumiers

Total Posts: 9
I'll bet it took a lot of thought to come up with this semi literate miss-spelt reply.
04-05-2013, 09:30   #47
dawny1970

Quote:
I'll bet it took a lot of thought to come up with this semi literate miss-spelt reply.
hahaha, wow did it take you that long to come up with that reply, im sorry but its true, upper working class are the worst type, they expend so much energy pulling down everyone else imstead of actually enjoying their lot in life

_______
07-05-2013, 05:10   #48
Gaumiers

You are The Bradway Troll. I have Just looked at your previous posts, they are not informative, witty or intelligent, as for good sarcasm, you know that humour so loved in Britain, yours is banal. I also recommend a new spell checker and a decent book on grammar.
07-05-2013, 06:58   #49
dawny1970

Quote:
You are The Bradway Troll. I have Just looked at your previous posts, they are not informative, witty or intelligent, as for good sarcasm, you know that humour so loved in Britain, yours is banal. I also recommend a new spell checker and a decent book on grammar.
Thats because your thick, you ignore facts, and would not understand an intelligent or witty remark if it came up and hit you.
go back to your alpen in your ivory tower and looking out at what else you need to purchase to keep up with your "friends", i like most people on here live in the real world.
Now unless you have a pertinent comment to this thread, go away and sulk

_______
07-05-2013, 08:06   #50
Gaumiers

This has become boring. I am obviously having some kind of dialogue with a congenital cretin who resorts to juvenile insults. you really need to spend more time away from that smouldering computer.
07-05-2013, 08:09   #51
dawny1970

try reading the bottom of my post instead of judging everyones comments before you post, you will see that in actual fact im not on a computer in the traditional sence.....oops your bad lol

_______
07-05-2013, 15:18   #52
Gaumiers

Oh Dear ! A small amount of education is a dangerous thing. A computer can be a phone and a phone can be a computer, I am using this noun in the same way one uses the word hoover, I assume even you can understand this. Please try and spew forth more intelligent comments as this is becoming embarrassing.
07-05-2013, 15:41   #53
dawny1970

yes you are, so far all you have posted is derogatory comments about everyone, all you are doing is hijacking a thread, so either have a constructive comment about this thread or go troll someware else

_______
07-05-2013, 19:44   #54
yoshka

Total Posts: 6
Does anyone know why there were allowed to build a sainsbury in broomhill where there was already a spar
07-05-2013, 21:52   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshka View Post
Does anyone know why there were allowed to build a sainsbury in broomhill where there was already a spar
The existence of an existing nearby business conducting the same trade is not a valid reason to turn down planning permission. Any objection made on those grounds alone would be anti-competitive and invalid.

Objections can be on other grounds, such as noise, smells, traffic issues, and inappropriate development. At present many Bradway residents are objecting on competition grounds in sympathy with existing traders. Those objections will carry no weight - on their own. More substantial grounds are required, and every little detail in the plans needs to be checked. Sainsbury's have spent many thousands of pounds to get this far, using professional advisers for each area of potential difficulty - including a PR company! They have a great deal of experience in making such applications.

What they don't have is detailed local knowledge. I feel certain the Bradway store will go ahead. I'm not certain it will go ahead in the form appearing in the current planning application.
27-06-2013, 22:42   #56

It seems the planners have decided to allow the store to go ahead without any significant changes, see Officer Reports, 26.6.2013; http://publicaccess.sheffield.gov.uk...=MLI46VNYFY000

Sainsbury's will probably now get planning permission on 2nd July when the application is heard. All representations from those with local knowledge regarding traffic, access and parking have been swept aside, seemingly considered irrelevant.

Fast forward 2 - 3 years and see if some of local resident's concerns have come to pass.
28-06-2013, 06:57   #57
Gaumiers

Well, It seems to me that most people in Bradway want a Sainsbury's and obviously do not care how it looks. As for any objections or concerns being brushed aside you have the worst planning office in the country, it has no vision and is totally unfit for purpose, but then you only have to look at Sheffeild city centre to realise this. So, it's goodbye to Spar and good luck to the greengrocer who will do very well out of all this.
03-07-2013, 19:04   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaumiers View Post
Well, It seems to me that most people in Bradway want a Sainsbury's and obviously do not care how it looks. As for any objections or concerns being brushed aside you have the worst planning office in the country, it has no vision and is totally unfit for purpose, but then you only have to look at Sheffeild city centre to realise this. So, it's goodbye to Spar and good luck to the greengrocer who will do very well out of all this.
At yesterday's Planning Committee meeting Sainsbury's application was declined. Not on traffic grounds, the biggest grouse of local residents, but to retain a building of character.

It's not listed and isn't much different from many pubs built between the two wars, however it's one of a declining number of older properties around Sheffield. Sainsbury's will probably appeal, and the chances are the development will still happen, but not quite as soon as they'd hoped.

The planning committee want the old building incorporated. That looks rather difficult (virtually impossible) to achieve, even if Sainsbury's were to invest a lot more cash into the project.

Anyone out there want to buy (and have the money to buy) a failed pub, squashed between a filling station and betting shop?! Thought not.
03-07-2013, 22:04   #59
Andy C

Total Posts: 6,813
The Bradway has a lot of potential as a pub, assuming the building is still OK - it was held back by the restrictions imposed by its owners, Enterprise Inns.

Keep the troublemakers out, offer interesting craft beers and good food at fair prices throughout the day with good service in a clean, comfortable environment and it should do OK, especially if a community angle is added such as hosting sports teams or community group meetings. Make some use of the outdoor drinking area and double winner.
03-07-2013, 22:26   #60
bassett one

Total Posts: 1,069
I agree that it would make a fantastic real ale public house,no music,no food just real ale at sensible prices with nice garden
Reply To Topic