How to keep cats away from my garden?

Does anyone know how to stop cats messing in my garden?

I've tried the pepper stuff from B&Q and even empty pop bottles

but they keep coming back with their deposits.

There is a plant that is being marketed. I am desperately trying to remember the name - but is a naturaly occurring deterent.

I will try and find something on it for you. It was in the News Of The World last year.

Other than that - they do not like anything Citrus.

Moon Maide

My cat-owning neighbours have a very useful way of keeping (their) cats off their garden:?

After complaining bitterly for ten minutes about how totally rude that is:lol: I tried it in my garden. It's not helpful if they crap in a lawn or large space...

small sticks pushed into the ground so that approx6-12inches are sticking out of the ground like spikes. They must be close enough together to prevent cats snuggling their bottoms down between them to poo. It puts them right off...but is obviously better for smaller spaces. Looks a bit odd too, but the plants soon grow around them.

I was also surprised to find that lemon/citrus peels seem to work. But you have to keep replacing them every 3 or 4 days. Again not good for a big space unless you really really like lemonade.:P

Having a dog hasn't helped (she'd have to be out there every hour of the day) but having your own cat generally does. And bonus: it keeps other cats out, and then goes and craps in someone elses garden.:lol:

Have you considered getting a dog?

Well my little cat is really really starting to annoy our neighbour.

She likes to soak up the warmth from their flagstones but has aparently taken to using their small garden as a toilet. Whenever our neighbour tries to chase her away(when we are absent) opur cat hisses and swipes at her.

Normally I don't get this agression when I move Nos off her garden.

Any suggestions to help keep our cat off their garden that are not harmful to young children???

Moon

She could buy a dog.

BB pellet gun.

Lemon scent.

Spikes.

I hear that if you can get hold of lion sh*t from a zoo this is good for keeping other, smaller, cats away and is also good for roses.

EW, Surely that's an even worse smell:lol:

She could get a cat too and then both cats could go poo in someone elses garden. Like mine:evil:

Its a big problem with cats that they are territorial and you can't exactly take them out on a leash.

Cats are a law unto themselves and always do there mess in someone elses garden.

Your far from alone with this matter and i,m affraid other than your neighbour buying a dog which then would'nt solve anything as they roam at night while doggy sleeps indoors.

Perhaps you can offer to clean up the mess.

I have the same problem with other peoples cats s*****ng in my garden and if i could get my hands on it i would probably strangle it but its not your fault that your cat decides to leave its trophys in someones garden, thats what they do.

Try and come to some agreement like clean it up or your neighbour might take the matter ainto there own hands and poison it.

My dad uses Jeyes fluid around the edges of the garden and areas frequented by local pooches. Now this may work for cats too and they won't like the offensive odour either. He says it's okay for the plants too? Not sure about that. I don't want your neighbours plants dying. However, tell them that cat poo is a good fertilizer for roses. Dad uses horse manure. Tell them it's the same thing? Yes, really it is!

What mess?? At least cats bury their trophies and don't usually dig up plants. They usually find open areas of dirt and dig a hole. Cats are very clean animals. At least they clean up after themselves.

And as for the poison comment Cycleracer: you should be ashamed to admit that you would hurt someone elses kitty kat.

tut tut :(

Whilst I like cats, I dislike them fouling my garden. There's a lot of cats near where I live and they all seem to foul my garden (guess it could be "disputed territory" or something).

I understand they have to make a mess somewhere, but would prefer if they did it in their owner's gardens, leaving me to enjoy my modest-sized garden in this fine weather without treading in mess.

I've tried a couple of packs of cat-repellant powder, but the cats "just smile at you and keep on coming" (to quote Armageddon).

We've also been given an ultrasonic cat scarer, but it's mains voltage and I don't have (and don't want to have to install) mains in the garden.

Does anyone know of somewhere in Sheff where I can get a battery-operated cat scarer? Or have any sensible, effective suggestions on humane (i.e. not involving an air-gun) method of deterring cats?

Threads merged.