Sheffield Forum

Mulberry Tavern

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield History & Expats

Reply To Topic
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
28-09-2012, 21:03   #1
Westieman
Registered User
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Total Posts: 59
Used to meet there on a Saturday night in the late 60's, early 70's - parked our scooters in the street at the rear - we even changed Sconny's Lambretta's clutch in the snug
  Reply With Quote
28-09-2012, 21:33   #2
sand_dollars
Registered User
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Rotherham
Total Posts: 1,684
My friend worked In the Mulberry ,the laughs we had in there fab pub .....x
  Reply With Quote
28-09-2012, 21:54   #3
1960boy
James Bond
1960boy's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Total Posts: 9,879
It's a gay club now.
_______
Martini anyone?
  Reply With Quote
29-09-2012, 09:53   #4
glennC
Registered User
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Rotherham
Total Posts: 64
Send a message via ICQ to glennC
One of my favorite haunts in the 70s, ahem, there were some very very good looking ladies used to frequent The Mulberry, hence my attendance

I cant remember the landlords name a big barrel chested guy always laughing, and of course he had Bomber Graham pulling pints.

After The Buccaneer and The Albert the Mulberry has to be one of the best pubs Sheffield ever had.
  Reply With Quote
29-09-2012, 11:44   #5
Wardsbitter
Account Closed
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Total Posts: 402
Presumably we are talking about the one demolished in 1981? The later one, now the Affinity bar, was on the circuit that included the Claymore. Town ain't the same any more these days.
  Reply With Quote
21-01-2014, 05:56   #6
Kashul
Registered User
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Sheffield
Total Posts: 1,510
Just found this, the Mulberry is being taken over by a good friends, it is reopening on the 15th of Feb with local beer an option and a buffet, great local pub back for the local people, they will make all very welcome.
  Reply With Quote
01-02-2014, 18:20   #7
fiona973
Registered User
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Total Posts: 33
Hi yes we open on the 15th Feb. Traditional ales, pool table, dart board and juke box.. downstairs will be open in a few weeks and will have live bands/comedy club!
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
01-02-2014, 20:31   #8
Grappler
Registered User
Grappler's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Sheffield
Total Posts: 6,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiona973 View Post
Hi yes we open on the 15th Feb. Traditional ales, pool table, dart board and juke box.. downstairs will be open in a few weeks and will have live bands/comedy club!
Ooooo what beers will you have one? Sounds good.
_______
The White Rose of Yorkshire, the twin Blades of Sheffield Steel, the club at the heart of the city.
  Reply With Quote
02-02-2014, 09:06   #9
fiona973
Registered User
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Total Posts: 33
Hi Grappler, We havent finalised our cask ales yet, but local breweries definately..
  Reply With Quote
02-02-2014, 10:42   #10
tasha_78_1
Registered User
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Total Posts: 600
We used to go in the Mulberry when we went to Down Broadway on the High Street (which was for under 18s). I remember the police raiding it regularly and one cheeky chappie, on being asked if he was 18 he replied "no, I`m not" (he was actually 19)!! He got a stern talking to!
  Reply With Quote
02-02-2014, 11:01   #11
fiona973
Registered User
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Total Posts: 33
lol no police raids this time! and strictly over 18s lol ! Great to hear all the stories about the place Tasha!!
  Reply With Quote
03-02-2014, 09:16   #12
Bob England
Registered User
 
Joined: Jan 2014
Total Posts: 284
The Mulberry opened on the site of the old pub on November the 6th 1976. The first licensee was Mick Lee.

Marti Caine opened the place. Herol Bomber Graham was the barman, Steve Cheetham was assistant manager, Chuck Charlesworth was a barman (later at Golden ball Campo Lane Blue Ball Hillsborough and for many years Three Cranes.

Mick Lee stayed there for about 5 years, during that time it was one of, if not the, best pub in town. No bouncers, lovely bar staff (Big Angie where are you?)

Mick was a smashing bloke, when we were on strike in the late 80s he always stood us a pint. When Blunkett and co flew the red flag on top of the Town hall, he made sure the pub was decked out in union jacks.

I hope the new owners make a real good go of it.

Some of the earlier posts mention Police raids, There were none when Mick was there, if there was any trouble all you needed was an ambulance. To cart away the trouble causers.
  Reply With Quote
04-02-2014, 19:48   #13
Ridgewalk
Registered User
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Total Posts: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob England View Post
The Mulberry opened on the site of the old pub on November the 6th 1976. The first licensee was Mick Lee.

Marti Caine opened the place. Herol Bomber Graham was the barman, Steve Cheetham was assistant manager, Chuck Charlesworth was a barman (later at Golden ball Campo Lane Blue Ball Hillsborough and for many years Three Cranes.

Mick Lee stayed there for about 5 years, during that time it was one of, if not the, best pub in town. No bouncers, lovely bar staff (Big Angie where are you?)

Mick was a smashing bloke, when we were on strike in the late 80s he always stood us a pint. When Blunkett and co flew the red flag on top of the Town hall, he made sure the pub was decked out in union jacks.

I hope the new owners make a real good go of it.

Some of the earlier posts mention Police raids, There were none when Mick was there, if there was any trouble all you needed was an ambulance. To cart away the trouble causers.
.







'
"He made sure the place was decked out in union jacks". It was a "white van man " pub then. Very classy. A traditional real ale pub just has to be better.

Good luck Fiona.
  Reply With Quote
04-02-2014, 20:02   #14
cookingfat50
Registered User
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Chesterfield
Total Posts: 906
I can recall the old mulberry tavern the entrance was on the side road off Norfolk st, I remember going in there in the 60s and surprised to see saw dust on the floor can anyone else remember that, and the old Albert on Cambridge st, always packed with students, and the heavy smell of Moroccan woodbines , and the one that slips my mind at the other end of Cambridge st frequented by lots of market traders and young ladies with loose morals
  Reply With Quote
06-02-2014, 15:27   #15
Bob England
Registered User
 
Joined: Jan 2014
Total Posts: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookingfat50 View Post
I can recall the old mulberry tavern the entrance was on the side road off Norfolk st, I remember going in there in the 60s and surprised to see saw dust on the floor can anyone else remember that, and the old Albert on Cambridge st, always packed with students, and the heavy smell of Moroccan woodbines , and the one that slips my mind at the other end of Cambridge st frequented by lots of market traders and young ladies with loose morals
The entrance was on Mulberry Street, off Norfolk Street. You never saw sawdust on the floor though. Landlord was Bill Nolan, who was succeeded by his son Mick, now a resident in Tenerife.

Regarding the ladies of easy virtue in the Barleycorn, on Cambridge Street, you never saw one go in the ladies loo did you?
  Reply With Quote
06-02-2014, 20:20   #16
sheilawragg1
Registered User
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: sheffield
Total Posts: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob England View Post
The entrance was on Mulberry Street, off Norfolk Street. You never saw sawdust on the floor though. Landlord was Bill Nolan, who was succeeded by his son Mick, now a resident in Tenerife.

Regarding the ladies of easy virtue in the Barleycorn, on Cambridge Street, you never saw one go in the ladies loo did you?
the only pub I can remember with sawdust on the floor was the old Cannon
  Reply With Quote
13-03-2014, 20:23   #17
Linnet
Registered User
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Total Posts: 63
Mulberry Tavern in the 60's - a great place and probably one of the first pubs to have a carvery on Fridays the hot pork sandwiches were great. Can remember clearly going in one Christmas Eve and everyone was singing Sloop John B by the Beach Boys - it went on for ages everybody singing their heads off. No trouble just good days.
  Reply With Quote
14-03-2014, 19:16   #18
mickyboy
Registered User
mickyboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Total Posts: 121
I remember we used to call in the Mulberry, Blue Bell and the Dove and Rainbow before moving on to the Mustard Seed or Down Broadway. One night in the Mulberry we found the pinball glass was cracked. Some discreet twiddling about with a borrowed tail comb soon saw the replays clock up and a unusually large crowd appeared around it when got word round. The machine was soon switched off as no one around it was drinking !
With regard to the new one when Bomber Graham worked there for some of the time the landlord was Geoff Bowers he either came from - or went to the West Street Hotel.
_______
Our country weeps, it bleeds, and each day a fresh cut is added to her wounds.
William Shakespeare

Last edited by mickyboy; 14-03-2014 at 19:23.
  Reply With Quote
14-03-2014, 22:49   #19
1960boy
James Bond
1960boy's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Total Posts: 9,879
It was shut tonight...what's gone orf?
_______
Martini anyone?
  Reply With Quote
20-03-2014, 10:49   #20
rhodesian
Registered User
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: southsea hampshire
Total Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1960boy View Post
it's a gay club now.
god how times change

---------- Post added 20-03-2014 at 11:52 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennc View Post
one of my favorite haunts in the 70s, ahem, there were some very very good looking ladies used to frequent the mulberry, hence my attendance

I cant remember the landlords name a big barrel chested guy always laughing, and of course he had bomber graham pulling pints.

After the buccaneer and the albert the mulberry has to be one of the best pubs sheffield ever had.
there were lots of similar types of pubs in that area in the mid. 60s
  Reply With Quote
Reply To Topic

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT. The time now is 21:20.
POSTS ON THIS FORUM ARE NOT ACTIVELY MONITORED
Click "Report Post" under any post which may breach our terms of use.
©2002-2014 Sheffield Forum | Powered by vBulletin ©2014