Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Anyone have a cure for a squeaky/screechy car belt?

Home > General > General Discussions

Reply To Topic

21-04-2006, 01:42   #1
stars_gazing

Total Posts: 594
Send a message via MSN to stars_gazing
The fan belt (lol, like I have any idea if it's actually the fan belt- okay, the belt that spins really fast when you turn the engine on ) of my car makes this really annoying squeaky noise when wet- which in Sheffield is almost every day . I went to have it tightened and found out that it has an automatic tensioner (and so sets itself). I've tried oil sprays which grease it up, but they literally work for about 2 mins before the noise starts again. I took it to mechanics and they told me that the best thing to do would be to replace the belt - and that sounds expensive. What's to guarantee that changing the belt would solve the problem? I think they just said that because it was so obvious that I know *nothing* about cars
Does anyone else have this problem and if so, what do you do?
Will I have to get a new belt? If so, does anyone know a ballpark price (Peugeot 206)?
_______
And all that jazz...
21-04-2006, 02:26   #2
Strix

Total Posts: 32,523
So it isn't the alternator then?
_______
please donate to Support Dogs - a Sheffield charity
see what Rain Rescue is up to - To donate, text RAIN04 (3/5/10) to 70070
21-04-2006, 02:27   #3
stars_gazing

That's a whole new car term that I do not know...
Where was I when everyone was learning about cars?

Belt in question (thank you Google & MS Paint )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strix
So it isn't the alternator then?
_______
And all that jazz...

Last edited by stars_gazing; 21-04-2006 at 02:39.
21-04-2006, 02:38   #4
Strix

Total Posts: 32,523
I assume that's a photo of a car engine?

It's usually the alternator that makes a horrendous screeching sound on an elderly car. Beyond that I know jack

You could be right, your's could be the belt
_______
please donate to Support Dogs - a Sheffield charity
see what Rain Rescue is up to - To donate, text RAIN04 (3/5/10) to 70070
21-04-2006, 02:45   #5
stars_gazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strix
I assume that's a photo of a car engine?

It's usually the alternator that makes a horrendous screeching sound on an elderly car. Beyond that I know jack

You could be right, your's could be the belt
ROTFLMAO!!!

I know it's that particular belt because when I spray it with the magic oil, it stops squeaking for a while (approx. 120 seconds). I think it may make more sense to fix the belt than to keep buying $6 a time cans of that stuff. Also, my car is only six - or is that "elderly" for a car?
_______
And all that jazz...
21-04-2006, 03:16   #6
Lone Wolf

Total Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by stars_gazing
The fan belt (lol, like I have any idea if it's actually the fan belt- okay, the belt that spins really fast when you turn the engine on ) a car makes this really annoying squeaky noise when wet- which in Sheffield is almost every day . I went to have it tightened and found out that it has an automatic tensioner (and so sets itself). I've tried oil sprays which grease it up, but they literally work for about 2 mins before the noise starts again. I took it to mechanics and they told me that the best thing to do would be to replace the belt - and that sounds expensive. What's to guarantee that changing the belt would solve the problem? I think they just said that because it was so obvious that I know *nothing* about cars
Does anyone else have this problem and if so, what do you do?
Will I have to get a new belt? If so, does anyone know a ballpark price (Peugeot 206)?
If it screams when you rev your engine then its merely your fan belt but replace it soon or it will run your battery down, a nice guy should be able to do that for you, there is really no such thing as an automatic tensioner as it only has a set degree of boundaries to tension within. They all wear out eventually, its only a band of rubber that moves the part and the idiot who sets the tension in the first place knows that the rubber is going to wear down.

I can't see it but the cheapest option is a new belt from what you describe pulled to the corect torque before fastening it and I don't need to quote it, just what a medium sized guy can do with effort.... the worst case scenario could be your thrust bearind to scream but that is to do with your clutch and much more expensive. I doubt it though.

Fan belt, Change and Labour, buy the fan belt yourself from a motor factors yourself simply by going in and quoting what you want for what model, some of them can actually tell you the problem. Don't buy the part there and then, ask friends and family about someone who can undertake the job, if you can't do it yourself then when you can find someone who can then you only have to negotiate a price to fit the part. I would do that 20min job for free myself but I don't know the problem to assume that would be the cure.

Just don't drive it to increase the problem anymore till you've got it fixed as it might end up costing you more. Don't do it cos you will notice it.

After all that worry, if it calms down when the engine is warm, tis, does sound like the fan belt to me. renew it and put plenty o WD40 over the bolt joins before you tighten them up and never put it on the rubber, I can really only suggest you see your family, otherwise pm me and I can direct you toward to other people who would not want to be mentioned here but would help you out and a lot nearer.
21-04-2006, 04:22   #7
40summat

Total Posts: 1,123
I usually find the best way to cure it is to turn the volume up on the radio,
Well it works for me
Sponsored Links
21-04-2006, 06:16   #8
caramac55

Total Posts: 239
Deffo just the fanbelt, only cost a few pounds, its a very common thing, it may just want tensioning, but for what they cost, buy a new one.....
_______

Today is yesterdays tommorow......
21-04-2006, 11:53   #9
stars_gazing

Thank you kindly Lone Wolf x x x
I tried to PM you but can't for some reason.
I found this site: http://www.pugspares.co.uk/PartsSear...ners&Submit=Go

But it's talking about alternator belts and cam belts and timing belts and ribbed belts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Wolf
I can't see it but the cheapest option is a new belt from what you describe pulled to the corect torque before fastening it and I don't need to quote it, just what a medium sized guy can do with effort.... the worst case scenario could be your thrust bearind to scream but that is to do with your clutch and much more expensive. I doubt it though.
_______
And all that jazz...
21-04-2006, 11:56   #10
stars_gazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40summat
I usually find the best way to cure it is to turn the volume up on the radio,
Well it works for me
LMAO, 40 - that's what I'm currently doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by caramac55
Deffo just the fanbelt, only cost a few pounds, its a very common thing, it may just want tensioning, but for what they cost, buy a new one.....
Any idea where to look/go?
_______
And all that jazz...
21-04-2006, 16:34   #11
Wibbs

Total Posts: 97
I use sum wd40
21-04-2006, 17:54   #12
stars_gazing

That's the magic oil spray I was talking about! Does it work for you? 'Cause it doesn't for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wibbs
I use sum wd40
And Wibbs your signature is freaky
_______
And all that jazz...

Last edited by stars_gazing; 21-04-2006 at 17:56.
21-04-2006, 18:06   #13
Waffer

Total Posts: 1,020
It just needs tightening takes 2-3 mins..common on some models
_______
I knew a woman once ....... i did honest.
21-04-2006, 18:13   #14
stars_gazing

No mechanic will do it, because it's automatic - apparently, they're made to tighten themselves. Why it won't, I don't know I'm cool with changing it, but have no idea where to buy them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffer
It just needs tightening takes 2-3 mins..common on some models
_______
And all that jazz...
21-04-2006, 18:16   #15
Dj_Shadowman

Total Posts: 1,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by stars_gazing
No mechanic will do it, because it's automatic - apparently, they're made to tighten themselves. Why it won't, I don't know I'm cool with changing it, but have no idea where to buy them.
Dont see why it being an automatic makes a difference, should be a 5 minute job.
21-04-2006, 18:31   #16
stars_gazing

Hmmm... When I took it to a garage here in Sheffield, the mechanic took one look at it and said "It's an Automatic Tensioner and so it sets itself, duck" then whilst I was in Scotland, I drove into a gas station where they had mechanics on site - and that mechanic told me, "These models have an Automatic Tensioners, lass. They can't be tightened." So I'm getting a universal theme of "it can't be tighted" (that's how I learnt the term ) because it should do so itself...
It seems I'm not the only one with this problem - looking through comments on the web, a lot of people are having trouble with the Peugeot 206. One wonders why they're so darn popular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj_Shadowman
Dont see why it being an automatic makes a difference, should be a 5 minute job.
_______
And all that jazz...
21-04-2006, 18:42   #17
alchresearch

Total Posts: 25,221
Send a message via Yahoo to alchresearch
When was the last time it was changed? If it's the timing belt that's squeaking I'd be very concerned about spraying some petrol-based solvents on it all the time. If it fails you'll be looking at a complete engine rebuild.

If it was my car I'd get it changed and then if it squeaks after that let the garage deal with it.
21-04-2006, 22:58   #18
stars_gazing

Thanks Al, I am so not driving that thing again until it's fixed. Costs enough to run as it is... Why, Peugeot, why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchresearch
When was the last time it was changed? If it's the timing belt that's squeaking I'd be very concerned about spraying some petrol-based solvents on it all the time. If it fails you'll be looking at a complete engine rebuild.

If it was my car I'd get it changed and then if it squeaks after that let the garage deal with it.
_______
And all that jazz...
22-04-2006, 00:25   #19
WallBuilder

Total Posts: 4,314
Things seem to get more complicated with cars as the years roll by.
I've never heard of an automatic belt tensioner, in older cars it used to be a case of loosening the alternator and then pushing on it a bit before retightening. This usually cures a screeching fan belt.
If the fan belt actually fails all that will happen is your engine will over heat rapidly which means obviously don't drive the car if you notice the engine temp. suddenly going up. Girls wearing stockings come in useful at this point.
A new fan belt should take a minute or so to fit but that automatic tensioner doesn't sound very nice and probably turns a simple easy job into a pain.
_______
Life, don't talk to me about life
25-04-2006, 13:17   #20
flyer

Total Posts: 2,413
Sounds more like bearing in the belt tightner they will keep squeaking untill replaced
Reply To Topic