Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Rivelin valley.

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield History & Expats

Reply To Topic

11-09-2012, 17:14   #1
natural man

Total Posts: 4
Very new to this and read with interest the comments about Rivelin valley. Recently visited the dams in search of some cabins my wife remembers from the early 60s she was 8. (Yes I know it is a while ago) My wife her sisters and mum would catch a bus from Malin Bridge to a terminus by a pub (she thinks) then walk across the dam to a large house, they would then go the right of the house into the woods where they had this cabin. My wife is quite clear in her description of everything and she can remember the house in Sheffield where she went with her mum to "buy" the cabin!There were several of them grouped together. Has anyone any ideas where they were exactly and what they were originally used for?
If any one can offer some info it would be appreciated.

Many thanks,
Natural man
11-09-2012, 19:29   #2
bullerboY

Total Posts: 2,413
The pub was probably the now defunct Norfolk Arms.
_______
There is always someone who can make things a little cheaper and a lot worse.
11-09-2012, 19:57   #3
hillsbro

Total Posts: 5,085
Across the dam from the pub was Wyming Brook, accessed via the road that skirted the dam "around the Ravine". I don't remember cabins at Wyming Brook but it was a very popular location for picnics at weekends etc. and there could well have been cabins there. Here is a 1926 photo of the bus terminus (before my time, honest...)
_______
Live like you mean it.
12-09-2012, 04:11   #4
shinysheff

Total Posts: 32
The house in the corner of the dam was called "Fox Holes Lodge" and in the mid 60s the Wood family lived there. The cabins you talk about ran back towards the Post office on that side of the river. Who owned them or rented them out I wouldn't know. not sure if any of it is still there but you could google earth the area.
12-09-2012, 07:31   #5
hillsbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinysheff View Post
....not sure if any of it is still there...
It is still there, also known as Wyming Brook Lodge: here is a link to a picturesheffield.com photo, also a map. The last time I walked past, I noticed that the grounds bristle with signs warning of alarms, closed-circuit TV surveillance etc. Sign of the times I suppose.
_______
Live like you mean it.
12-09-2012, 10:27   #6
Elmambo

Total Posts: 577
Quote:
The house in the corner of the dam was called "Fox Holes Lodge" and in the mid 60s the Wood family lived there. The cabins you talk about ran back towards the Post office on that side of the river. Who owned them or rented them out I wouldn't know. not sure if any of it is still there but you could google earth the area.
Mr. Woods, had the gunsmith's concession in the old Sugg's sports shop and used the Lodge as a clay shooting school/club.
_______
SHEFFIELD - A CITY IN 2nd GEAR (Twenty will earn us plenty)
12-09-2012, 12:08   #7
natural man

Total Posts: 4
Quote:
Where was the post office?? Road name is poss.

Much obliged for info so far.

natural man
Sponsored Links
12-09-2012, 12:28   #8
wessie_mick

Total Posts: 42
nearest post office would be on the corner of rivelin valley road and manchester road.
12-09-2012, 16:18   #9
old tup

Total Posts: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsbro View Post
Across the dam from the pub was Wyming Brook, accessed via the road that skirted the dam "around the Ravine". I don't remember cabins at Wyming Brook but it was a very popular location for picnics at weekends etc. and there could well have been cabins there. Here is a 1926 photo of the bus terminus (before my time, honest...)
Hi Hillsboro my eldest daughter and family live in the property were the bus is parked I believe it was the coachhouse to the pub years ago!.Where the low trees are at the side is now a mature forest its a lovely spot her alsation runs all over it chasing squirrels and rabbits,doggy heaven,my grandson had a large deer nearly knock him over one night on the dogs walk up there!.Two goshawks patrol it every day looking for a meal of small birds you can tell when they are coming it goes deathly quiet!.
_______
I only did it for a giggle!--Your Honour!
13-09-2012, 01:43   #10
Allen

Total Posts: 2,206
Slightly "off topic"

Just above the Norfolk Arms leaving Sheffield there used to be a "lay bye" with a small hut selling ice cream and soft drinks etc.
The lay bye seems to have been reclaimedby the house adjoining and is now private property.

I cycled up there in the late 60's and welcomed the small hut......but have no recollection of any cabins.
13-09-2012, 09:17   #11
hillsbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen View Post
Just above the Norfolk Arms leaving Sheffield there used to be a "lay bye" with a small hut selling ice cream and soft drinks etc.
There were also some swingboats in the field behind. They were something of a long-standing tradition in Rivelin - some more swingboats were beside the double bend (here is an old photo) but they had gone by the post-war period.
_______
Live like you mean it.

Last edited by hillsbro; 17-09-2012 at 07:16. Reason: Link to photo added.
13-09-2012, 15:34   #12
mikeG

Total Posts: 2,021
We used to cycle from Crosspool, up Sandygate/Redmires Road, turn right before the dam along the rough track, through the woods and come out at the swingboats. Couldnt do it now. By the time I got to the Plough, I'd have run out of puff.
14-09-2012, 01:26   #13
rabitter

Total Posts: 832
when we were cycling early sixties we used to call for a mug of tea in that layby and always had 20 mins on the swingboats
16-09-2012, 23:08   #14
PopT

Total Posts: 2,038
As a kid we always called this place 'Little Wembley'.

it was one of our Sunday walks from Owlerton.

We loved the place and the Ice Cream.

Happy Days! PopT
17-09-2012, 01:13   #15
Allen

Total Posts: 2,206
Any explanation of the name "Little Wembley" Pop T?

My cycling days there was early sixtie with my sister and Dad.
I remember the cabin and the swing boats.

We called it "Swingley".
17-09-2012, 10:31   #16
hillsbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wessie_mick View Post
nearest post office would be on the corner of rivelin valley road and manchester road.
Yes, this was Rivelin Bridge Post Office. It sadly closed in 2006, after 120 years of providing services to local people. The adjacent café also didn't prove viable, and the property was sold by auction in 2007. The whole area was much more popular for walking etc. in the days when more people took country walks as a form of recreation. Despite the 1960s improvements to the paths, dredging the old millponds etc. and establishing the Rivelin Valley Nature Trail, Rivelin doesn't attact the numbers of visitors who, a few decades ago, would walk down from Stannington, Crosspool etc. Such a pity as it's a lovely part of Sheffield.
_______
Live like you mean it.
17-09-2012, 11:36   #17
skippy

Total Posts: 1,602
I remember playing on some ordinary swings in the 40's, they were on the right after going across the dam road ?
As Hillsbro said, Rivelin was a very popular spot years ago, we kids used to spend most of the school holidays exploring around there, I lived at Crookes in my younger years and it didn't take us long to get down there.
I bet you stopped for a drink of water from the trough opposite the Bell Hagg Inn Mike ?
17-09-2012, 12:31   #18
PopT

Total Posts: 2,038
Hi Allen

When Belle View opened in Manchester it was known as, 'The Wembley of the North'.

I can only think that the nickname 'Little Wembley' was a take off from that.

I think we must remember there wasn't a lot of cheap venues for the ordinary families and such places gave some focus to a weekend walk and all the kids loved it.

What more could they want, swings, Ice Cream, crisps and cups of tea.

How things have changed.

Happy Days! PopT
18-09-2012, 23:31   #19
david weston

Total Posts: 241
The family who ran the roadside snack cabin and lived in the house above it with the swingboats were known for 'sharp practice'. As young teens in around 1959, a friend and myself were asked to widen a pathway there for them. They provided basic refreshments and promised payment of a few pounds when finished. When the job was done excuses were made and we didn't get paid. We actually informed the police and were told by a local officer that they were known for doing this type of thing. Needless to say, we never got paid. They also employed slave labour from the Hollow Meadows mental hospital up the road. One chap from there who served the tables was once shouted by the lady of the house and said to us " That bloody Dolly, I'll hit her with this sodding tea pot one day !"
18-09-2012, 23:57   #20
harestone

Total Posts: 2,929
If you use Facebook there's a group page dedicate to the Redmires pow era, Not absolutely sure but this link may take you there.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1408...group_activity

Apologies if already posted, I don't have time to read the whole thread.
Reply To Topic