Best way to get rid of moss

In or back yard we have a real bad problem with moss it seems to be resistant to anything I have done it smells the house when it rains, in the past I have tried bleach and I even bought special moss spray that cost a load and did nothing,the yard is tarmac and there is not a lot of sunshine that gets to the back yard, any ideas to get rid of the stuff would bee much appreciated.

Watering with a dilution of Jeyes Fluid a couple of times a year solved a similar problem for me (moss growth on tarmac in a shady area).The smell of the fluid fades after a couple of days.

I once had a mole problem in a back lawn and couldn't get rid of it. Then someone suggested jeyes fluid.

Useless.

Urban myth. The mole popped up and appeared slightly drunk.

As for Moss .................. until she accepts rehab there is little anyone can do.

I once had a mole problem in a back lawn and couldn't get rid of it. Then someone suggested jeyes fluid.

Useless.

Urban myth. The mole popped up and appeared slightly drunk.

As for Moss .................. until she accepts rehab there is little anyone can do.

Very illuminating"have you got nothing better to do.

Shogun,

I have used caustic soda to remove moss (available from Wilkos). If you decide to use this, please use with care, it really is caustic. You can apply it with a watering can. It is a problem if anyone is going to walk on the treated area as they would be treading this chemical in to the house (this applies whatever you use). Foot ware would need to be removed, until it has killed the moss and you have hosed the area down and swilled the chemical away.

If you are talking about moss growing on stone flags etc, then you can do is make it dry so it cannot grow. If that's not possible then you need to treat the entire surface with something that will stop it growing. Caustic soda (drain cleaner etc) along the cracks is the best bet but it's very good at killing everything. DON'T put it down as powder - when it gets wet it'll get exceedingly hot. Get a pint of cold water in a jug and add about an ounce of soda to it, stirring with a non metal spoon, somthing like an old toothbrush is good. Let it cool - repeat when cold until you have dissolved all of an 8 ounce bottle.

Wear goggles, one splash in your eye and you will not see out of it again probably. Best to mix where you use it. Once applied it's doubful anyhting will gorw for a long time but it really is a scorched earth sort of thing

Very illuminating"have you got nothing better to do.

Plenty actually, like finishing my book on Kate's brother Sterling.

Anyhow, moss be going ............. or in your case 'growing.'

If you are talking about moss growing on stone flags etc, then you can do is make it dry so it cannot grow. If that's not possible then you need to treat the entire surface with something that will stop it growing. Caustic soda (drain cleaner etc) along the cracks is the best bet but it's very good at killing everything. DON'T put it down as powder - when it gets wet it'll get exceedingly hot. Get a pint of cold water in a jug and add about an ounce of soda to it, stirring with a non metal spoon, somthing like an old toothbrush is good. Let it cool - repeat when cold until you have dissolved all of an 8 ounce bottle.

Wear goggles, one splash in your eye and you will not see out of it again probably. Best to mix where you use it. Once applied it's doubful anyhting will gorw for a long time but it really is a scorched earth sort of thing

This can also burn off the feet of birds, if they land on it. I have seen it happen to ducks, this was some years ago.

Edited by Glennis

In or back yard we have a real bad problem with moss it seems to be resistant to anything I have done it smells the house when it rains, in the past I have tried bleach and I even bought special moss spray that cost a load and did nothing,the yard is tarmac and there is not a lot of sunshine that gets to the back yard, any ideas to get rid of the stuff would bee much appreciated.

I had the same problem a few years ago (I have since had the asphalt taken up and replaced with paving) Not only did the moss smell it was also slippery, my son managed to get rid of it by using a pressure washer on it, took a long time to do it, but it did get rid of the moss

Don't use a rolling stone!:hihi:

Watering with a dilution of Jeyes Fluid a couple of times a year solved a similar problem for me (moss growth on tarmac in a shady area).The smell of the fluid fades after a couple of days.

By how much do you dilute the Jeyes. It says on the Jeyes bottle to leave the solution on the affected area for half an hour then brush and wash the stuff off. I'm a bit wary as there are loads of cats around and I don't want to poison them. Any guidance appreciated.