Woodbine cigarettes

Does any one recall the machines dispensing2 woodbines and 2 matches for a penny, there were not many,they was in a green packet Arthur

I remember them well, Arthur. But wasn’t it two Woodbines and three matches. There was one outside a shop in Ecclesall Road that I tried a few times when I first started smoking. I think I was about nine or ten. Soon gave it up though. I could buy a lot of sweets for a penny!

I don't recall the machines but in the early 50's my dad smoked Woodbine and Mum smoked ParkDrive,little cigs with no tips, they must have killed the throat,did you ever smoke Craven'A'?

I have an old tin sign that say's " For your throat's sake Smoke Craven 'A' they never vary - from the picture it looks like they have tips on.

Hi Twinky, No,they were for sore throats they gave you one!

Hi Twinky, No,they were for sore throats they gave you one!

And here's me thinking it does what it says on the tin!!!!!!!!!

Twinky.

when I think back about the different brands I tried..the first I ever smoked were Meadow Gold,then I graduated to Woodbines,Parkdrive etc..at one time I smoked Capstan full strength,and Camel...that was then ,I'm paying for it now..cough cough

when I think back about the different brands I tried..the first I ever smoked were Meadow Gold,then I graduated to Woodbines,Parkdrive etc..at one time I smoked Capstan full strength,and Camel...that was then ,I'm paying for it now..cough cough[/QUO

Never heard of Meadow Gold - sounds more like a low fat spread but obviously not as good for you.

twinky

Many years ago, Arthur, my dad smoked Woodbines...he couldn't smoke Park Drive.

I started smoking at 15, and tried a variety of brands, starting with Woodbines, Park Drive...which I couldn't stand.......then Players Medium Cut and finally Players Full Strength.........real early coffin material.

On occasion I tried Black Russian Sobranie, real man-about town, in those days.......finally ending for many years on Benson & Hedges............now I drag on Sovereign...........as someone else commented (cough..cough..cough) :)

At the last breath, we all have to die of something.........

why not stop smoking its easy try it

why not stop smoking its easy try it

One of my co-workers said the same thing. It was so easy to stop that he had done it six or seven times.

Many years ago, Arthur, my dad smoked Woodbines...he couldn't smoke Park Drive.

I started smoking at 15, and tried a variety of brands, starting with Woodbines, Park Drive...which I couldn't stand.......then Players Medium Cut and finally Players Full Strength.........real early coffin material.

On occasion I tried Black Russian Sobranie, real man-about town, in those days.......finally ending for many years on Benson & Hedges............now I drag on Sovereign...........as someone else commented (cough..cough..cough) :)

At the last breath, we all have to die of something.........

Hi I started smoking when about 9yrs old they was Others Mixture took a bit of finding because people did not throw them away very big [yes they were dog ends as we called them]we would collect a bag full of big ones then retire to our den with our fag papers and make as many as we could, sell a few , be sick then buy sweets to make us better! Arthur. [ Gave up about 30 yrs ago]