Sheffield Forum

What is the best non-yellowing white gloss paint?

Home > General > General Discussions

Reply To Topic

09-08-2012, 14:05   #1
wednesday1

Total Posts: 6,986
I painted some skirting boards and picture rails with Crown brilliant white gloss paint a few years ago, within a year or two they had significant yellowing, despite the claims on the tin which stated it was non-yellowing. What is the best paint brand to resist this yellowing?
09-08-2012, 14:12   #2
Light sonic

Total Posts: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by wednesday1 View Post
I painted some skirting boards and picture rails with Crown brilliant white gloss paint a few years ago, within a year or two they had significant yellowing, despite the claims on the tin which stated it was non-yellowing. What is the best paint brand to resist this yellowing?
Hmmm, Crown is up there with Dulux as a top brand. Maybe yellowing only happens with gloss because a couple of years ago I panted my skirting boards, door frames and stair case hand rail with a satinwood finish paint, and there is absolutely no yellowing.
09-08-2012, 14:15   #3
Leah-Lacie

Total Posts: 9,618
I'm not sure that any really do stay gleaming white for any real length of time. Just do what my granny used to do and give them a wipe down with very watered down bleach once a year or so. That does the trick
09-08-2012, 14:30   #4
GodStar

Total Posts: 911
Give up smoking!
09-08-2012, 14:30   #5
smithy266

Total Posts: 3,283
do you smoke?
09-08-2012, 14:49   #6
wednesday1

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy266 View Post
do you smoke?
Only when I'm in the pub with Phil!
09-08-2012, 15:17   #7
mrs gough

Total Posts: 587
B&Q Colours Everywhere paint stays white, no yellowing at all. Highly recommended.
Sponsored Links
09-08-2012, 15:21   #8
PeteMorris
Reason-ablyNear

Total Posts: 11,144
Quote:
I just wonder how long you expect it to remain pristine white! You say a few years ago. If it's regularly cleaned properly, it will last a few years, but not forever, despite what the tin says. How many people can honestly say they clean their skirting boards regularly? The odd wipe down maybe, but not a 'proper' clean.

I always use Dulux paint. But I also redecorate every 'few years'.
_______
It's almost like juggling fried eggs!
09-08-2012, 16:49   #9
retep

Total Posts: 6,256
I did read it was something to do with removing additives Dulux as well ( EU strikes again? )
supposed to be sorted now with recent paints.
_______
Death keeps no calendar or return tickets.
09-08-2012, 17:17   #10
gnvqsos

Total Posts: 11,184
Dacrylate factory outlet on Firmry Rd opposite Tescos,about 12 plus VAT for 2500ml
09-08-2012, 17:52   #11
Pinksarah889

Total Posts: 302
Satin woods better. It doesn't go yellow. Tried a few different glosses. Dulux professional gloss is good but still.goes abit on yellow side
09-08-2012, 18:07   #12
Rampent

Total Posts: 10,685
Quote:
I normally add two quarts of Lidi bleach.
10-08-2012, 05:51   #13
scousemouse

Total Posts: 1,608
I have used satinwood for years, but have now changed to gloss, it is harder wearing. I haven't found it has yellowed at all. Not sure of the brand though, as the decorator did it.!!!
10-08-2012, 12:01   #14
wednesday1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMorris View Post
I just wonder how long you expect it to remain pristine white! You say a few years ago. If it's regularly cleaned properly, it will last a few years, but not forever, despite what the tin says. How many people can honestly say they clean their skirting boards regularly? The odd wipe down maybe, but not a 'proper' clean.

I always use Dulux paint. But I also redecorate every 'few years'.

At least 3 years, the last lot yellowed within a year.
10-08-2012, 13:23   #15
poppins

Total Posts: 9,832
Brits take there paint very seriously , I actually brought a small tin of white gloss back with me to the US about 15 years ago to paint a small area around a window, it,s never yellowed but did start to peel year later, I think I put it on too thick though, didn't want to waste any. The paint in the US is not as good...so a professional painter once told me, egg shell paint is used the most here for interior walls, egg shell is just the texture, don't see much high gloss used at all in the US.
I hear bus paint is used a lot in the uk, makes sense , what could be more hard wearing than that. I just had my house and deck painted last year, I chose stain over paint, paint eventually peels ,stain will fade, I chose fading.
10-08-2012, 13:46   #16
angelstar904

Total Posts: 217
my floor boards in my bedroom are all gloss white, i used Wilco home brand and they look brill...very high gloss and no yellowing
10-08-2012, 14:10   #17
Total Chaos

Total Posts: 4,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelstar904 View Post
my floor boards in my bedroom are all gloss white, i used Wilco home brand and they look brill...very high gloss and no yellowing
Mine has so going with Dulux next week.
_______
Illuminati-Real Eyes Realise Real Lies
10-08-2012, 15:02   #18
poppins

Total Posts: 9,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelstar904 View Post
White gloss floors
10-08-2012, 21:10   #19
Parvo

Total Posts: 1,074
saw thing on telly about this. and yes it was due to additives being removed. (have to say some of the whitest gloss I've used was an ancient tin-fullof lead)
one bit of advice was to use the low odour ones-they have less oils in them and its th oil that causes the yellowing.
15-11-2012, 18:47   #20
matlo

Total Posts: 8
anybody found a white gloss paint that wont yellow after a couple of months as all the ones i have tried have gone yellow
Reply To Topic