Sheffield Forum

Pink sausage..heeelp!!

Home > General > General Discussions

Reply To Topic

03-08-2012, 12:52   #1
Lucyjackson

Total Posts: 430
So here it is..

I have just been to the sandwich shop and bought a sausage and egg breadcake for me and my son, i took a couple of bites before realising that the sausage was pink on the inside, it did taste a little funny so i gave it to the dog

My son also said his cob tasted funny too and has half eaten his

Do some sausages stay pink even after cooking?

The lady at the shop said they were well done but i am panicking now as am always funny with meat n stuff like that.

I don't want to be sat on the bog all weekend

So, could i still get sick even if i only ate a couple of mouthfuls or d'ya think it'll be okay?

Am i going to die
03-08-2012, 12:54   #2
poppet2

Total Posts: 2,814
Don't worry, when I was a child I used to love eating raw sausage meat. Never done me any harm.
03-08-2012, 12:58   #3
Lucyjackson

I am proper freaking out..

really hate being sick and don't think i have enough emergency bog squares to sustain an attack of the trots
03-08-2012, 13:01   #4
barleycorn

Total Posts: 3,847
Sandwich shop sausages tend to have so little pork in them that you'll probably be fine.

jb
_______
Reality is not based on definitions or word associations or quotes from a book. Reality is what you have after all the books have been put away and you keep your mouth shut. You don't need language to know reality. Anything that requires language to make itself known is not reality but the artifice of words, simply word associations, predicates on paper that can nowhere else be seen.
03-08-2012, 13:02   #5
Lucyjackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by barleycorn View Post
Sandwich shop sausages tend to have so little pork in them that you'll probably be fine.

jb

I aint ever going to eat cheap sandwich shop meat again.

How much of a product do you need to eat if its undercooked or off before you get ill
03-08-2012, 13:05   #6
barleycorn

Total Posts: 3,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucyjackson View Post

How much of a product do you need to eat if its undercooked or off before you get ill
If it's full of nasties then only a very tiny bit as they will multiply in the body. Pork nowadays is generally not as bad as it used to be as the pigs are reared in more hygienic conditions (at least they should be). You can even eat it rare if your particularly confident of its source.

jb

ETA: Just in case you feel like scaring yourself http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichin...renteral_phase he he he
_______
Reality is not based on definitions or word associations or quotes from a book. Reality is what you have after all the books have been put away and you keep your mouth shut. You don't need language to know reality. Anything that requires language to make itself known is not reality but the artifice of words, simply word associations, predicates on paper that can nowhere else be seen.

Last edited by barleycorn; 03-08-2012 at 13:07.
03-08-2012, 13:05   #7
HeadingNorth

Total Posts: 21,313
Quote:

Undercooked meat does not cause you to get ill.

Bacteria cause you to get ill; meat that is properly kept won't have any in it to speak of, whether it gets cooked or not. I've been eating undercooked sausages for decades without getting ill, so I can safely say that the answer to your question is "at least several hundredweight."
Sponsored Links
03-08-2012, 13:08   #8
poppet2

Total Posts: 2,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by barleycorn View Post

jb
Very true, the minimum level of meat required for a sausage is 18%, which are the cheapest of the cheap sausages. I go for the maximum of 90% plus.
03-08-2012, 13:08   #9
Lucyjackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadingNorth View Post
Undercooked meat does not cause you to get ill.

Bacteria cause you to get ill; meat that is properly kept won't have any in it to speak of, whether it gets cooked or not. I've been eating undercooked sausages for decades without getting ill, so I can safely say that the answer to your question is "at least several hundredweight."
It was from the sandwich shop on west street in Beighton, they are usually full of people so i thought i would be safe as its so busy, i asked for them to be well done (well burnt) and she stated they were so why was it pink in the inside
03-08-2012, 13:09   #10
anywebsite

Total Posts: 6,469
Some of the really cheap & nasty sausages are coloured pink to try to make them look like there's some fresh meat in them when they're uncooked. It probably was cooked & just food colouring. Unless it was a tomato sausage?

Either way, don't go back there. We shouldn't encourage these places. When sausages cost less than pet food you have to worry.
_______
ID Coin
03-08-2012, 13:11   #11
Halibut
Hooked

Total Posts: 28,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by anywebsite View Post
Some of the really cheap & nasty sausages are coloured pink to try to make them look like there's some fresh meat in them when they're uncooked. It probably was cooked & just food colouring. Unless it was a tomato sausage?

Either way, don't go back there. We shouldn't encourage these places. When sausages cost less than pet food you have to worry.
Best reply - and exactly what I was going to say.
_______
This machine kills fascists. Up the Roma!
03-08-2012, 13:14   #12
anywebsite

I never order sausages from anywhere unless I know it's somewhere that cares about good food. Some of the cheap sausages around are really scary. Burgers & pies can be bad too. Usually you're OK with bacon & egg or chips, it's hard for them to mess that up.
_______
ID Coin
03-08-2012, 13:18   #13
Lucyjackson

I honestly do not know what possessed me, i don't usually do meat but was walking past and was hungry

I am hoping against hope that i am going to be okay, hate being sick
03-08-2012, 13:23   #14
anywebsite

Don't worry, there wasn't much meat in it - certainly nothing that you'd usually think of as 'meat', a small part of it may have been part of a pig at one stage, but they're mostly vegetarian. It probably wont make you sick, it's unlikely there were any food poisoning germs in it & it probably was cooked fine. Just try not to think about what they put in those cheap sausages that nasty sandwich shops buy
_______
ID Coin
03-08-2012, 13:23   #15
Halibut
Hooked

Total Posts: 28,529
Quote:
I honestly do not know what possessed me, i don't usually do meat but was walking past and was hungry

I am hoping against hope that i am going to be okay, hate being sick

Give over worrying - you're going to be fine!
_______
This machine kills fascists. Up the Roma!
03-08-2012, 13:25   #16
Lucyjackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
Give over worrying - you're going to be fine!

But what if i get food poisoning and die sitting on the bog like Elvis....oh, the shame of it

seriously though, i only ate a couple of mouthfuls, is that enough to make a person ill?
03-08-2012, 13:26   #17
boyfriday

Total Posts: 30,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by anywebsite View Post

Spot on, there isn't a lot of meat in it so the slurry is dyed to make it look like animal protein. The other thing to remember is that a lot of proper sausages are made with cured pork which will retain some pinkness after cooking.
_______
"I have no colour prejudices nor caste prejudices nor creed prejudices. All I care to know is that a man is a human being, and that is enough for me; he can't be any worse." Mark Twain
03-08-2012, 13:26   #18
anywebsite

You've got to eat a ton of muck before you die.
_______
ID Coin
03-08-2012, 13:28   #19
boyfriday

Total Posts: 30,560
Quote:
But what if i get food poisoning and die sitting on the bog like Elvis....oh, the shame of it

seriously though, i only ate a couple of mouthfuls, is that enough to make a person ill?
You probably won't have time to get to the bog and die like Elvis, you'll probably suffer the indignity of being discovered with the SF website open on your laptop
_______
"I have no colour prejudices nor caste prejudices nor creed prejudices. All I care to know is that a man is a human being, and that is enough for me; he can't be any worse." Mark Twain
03-08-2012, 13:30   #20
Lucyjackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyfriday View Post
You probably won't have time to get to the bog and die like Elvis, you'll probably suffer the indignity of being discovered with the SF website open on your laptop

D'ya think i should retreat to the restroom now in an attempt to catch the inevitable torrent that i just know is going to happen?

I am a gibbering wreck right now. Why oh why did i do such a stupid thing as to eat sausage from a tacky corner shop. I don't even like sausage
Reply To Topic