Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Gumtree scammer!

Home > General > General Discussions

Reply To Topic

12-07-2012, 10:03   #1
Claire1983

Total Posts: 206
Yesterday i advertised my old phone on Gumtree, within minutes i had a reply from a man who told me he lived in London but wanted the phone sending to Nigeria for a present for his "nephew" and that he would pay me for the phone plus an extra 40 for postage directly into my bank account. This had me thinking so i gave him my old account number and sort code as i knew nothing could happen to that account (i know he was trying to scam me i just wanted to see what he would do next)... Within 5 minutes i received 2 emails from "The bank of America" which was very convincing and all headed as you would expect- one saying i had 2 days to post items listed and they would release the payment as soon as i provided a tracking number for the item. The second email was telling me i would be arrested if i didn't send them the tracking number within 6hours. The shipping address was as follows
Name: JOHN SMITH
Address:Block 1 flat 6 RABIATU THOMPSON CRESCENT ,
City: Surulere
State:Lagos
Zip Code:23401

1Hour later i received yet another email from "OSCAR JONES" asking if i'd posted my item, to which i replied "No, i do not intend to post any items until the money is in my account" he soon turned nasty saying what he would do and what he wouldn't do if i didn't send the mobile straight away and using racist comments towards me !! i had already reported him to Gumtree and to the actual bank he said had sent the funds... and i looked on Google at the address he provided and this scam has been going on for a while, they send you fake receipts and bank transfer notices so you post the items (again the bank transfer i received looked like the real thing)
I just want people to be aware of the low lives and what they are trying to do as i have read that 100's of people have fallen for it! Lucky for me i'm not that daft lol.
12-07-2012, 10:26   #2
4x4club

Total Posts: 279
i had this on gumtree last year i also did not post the item and reported it to paypal and gumtree you ed have to be stupid to fall for this scam yes the emails look real but if you log in to your bank online or paypal its plain to see the cash as not been sent to you
12-07-2012, 12:01   #3
GodStar

Total Posts: 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire1983 View Post
Yesterday i advertised my old phone on Gumtree, within minutes i had a reply from a man who told me he lived in London but wanted the phone sending to Nigeria for a present for his "nephew" and that he would pay me for the phone plus an extra 40 for postage directly into my bank account. This had me thinking so i gave him my old account number and sort code as i knew nothing could happen to that account (i know he was trying to scam me i just wanted to see what he would do next)... Within 5 minutes i received 2 emails from "The bank of America" which was very convincing and all headed as you would expect- one saying i had 2 days to post items listed and they would release the payment as soon as i provided a tracking number for the item. The second email was telling me i would be arrested if i didn't send them the tracking number within 6hours. The shipping address was as follows
Name: JOHN SMITH
Address:Block 1 flat 6 RABIATU THOMPSON CRESCENT ,
City: Surulere
State:Lagos
Zip Code:23401

1Hour later i received yet another email from "OSCAR JONES" asking if i'd posted my item, to which i replied "No, i do not intend to post any items until the money is in my account" he soon turned nasty saying what he would do and what he wouldn't do if i didn't send the mobile straight away and using racist comments towards me !! i had already reported him to Gumtree and to the actual bank he said had sent the funds... and i looked on Google at the address he provided and this scam has been going on for a while, they send you fake receipts and bank transfer notices so you post the items (again the bank transfer i received looked like the real thing)
I just want people to be aware of the low lives and what they are trying to do as i have read that 100's of people have fallen for it! Lucky for me i'm not that daft lol.
Post him some poo
12-07-2012, 15:35   #4
dan2802

Total Posts: 3,537
Send a message via Skype™ to dan2802
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodStar View Post
Post him some poo
Where is the 'LIKE' button?
12-07-2012, 15:42   #5
Ousetunes
Eboracum Glory!

Total Posts: 9,744
Oh no.

So the $24m promised from a Ugandan fella with a similar name won't be going into my account then?

Gosh, I was SO convinced....
_______
The Beatles in Mono. At last.
12-07-2012, 15:44   #6
rickiethecat

Total Posts: 1,607
It must be terrible being a genuine Nigerian businessman! Surely there must be one somewhere?
12-07-2012, 15:48   #7
Leah-Lacie

Total Posts: 9,614
Do people still actually fall for these? I thought they would have given it up as a bad job by now!
Sponsored Links
12-07-2012, 15:57   #8
nikki-red
Pyjama addict

Total Posts: 37,157
I was once selling some football boots on ebay, I think they were on from 4.99.
I got a message from a guy saying hed pay me 250 for them if Id send them to Nigeria!
I declined his kind offer
_______
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars...
12-07-2012, 16:02   #9
sand_dollars

Total Posts: 1,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodStar View Post
Post him some poo
I did that once I was feeling rather Bitchy that day
12-07-2012, 16:07   #10
kinetic

Total Posts: 518
Tell him to pay for the courier charge himself and you'll do the deal. Send a brick.
14-07-2012, 00:37   #11
angelofdeath

Total Posts: 71
It is a sad thing but yes people do fall for this sort of thing.My nannan did :-(
14-07-2012, 08:04   #12
Gdadman

Total Posts: 15
The Ad Reads " iPhone 225. Buy 3 for 600" - Do the alarm bells ring? Think so - Have people fallen for this? the answer is - YES - will they get their money back after giving the seller their bank details? The old saying "If it looks to good to be true then it is."
Can you get your money back if you have been scammed? Gumtree take NO responsibility for ANY monitary transactions - Read their T & C.
14-07-2012, 08:18   #13
dan140177

Total Posts: 62
i sell a lot of mobiles and the same happened to me, i agreed to send to nigeria and they sent me a fake paypal email which contained spelling mistakes only a foreigner could make and if i followed the link i then had to enter my password. i didn't of course, i just went directly to paypal and saw that no money had been sent. when i told them to do 1 and called them scammers thats when the threats started coming saying that the METROPOLIS (metropolitan) police were coming for me, i laughed at them and then they were sending some boys round to sort me out. they also said i was going to die of AIDS.
I almost sent them a length of turd in a mobile phone box but i couldn't be bothered.
the emails soon stopped when ignored
14-07-2012, 10:20   #14
biggsy

Total Posts: 1,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan140177 View Post
i sell a lot of mobiles and the same happened to me, i agreed to send to nigeria and they sent me a fake paypal email which contained spelling mistakes only a foreigner could make and if i followed the link i then had to enter my password. i didn't of course, i just went directly to paypal and saw that no money had been sent. when i told them to do 1 and called them scammers thats when the threats started coming saying that the METROPOLIS (metropolitan) police were coming for me, i laughed at them and then they were sending some boys round to sort me out. they also said i was going to die of AIDS.
I almost sent them a length of turd in a mobile phone box but i couldn't be bothered.
the emails soon stopped when ignored

Ha Ha !!!!!

Did they threaten you with 'The Clicky mob'?? (Cliche mob) as in one of the baits on 419 eaters scambaiters site

I spent days reading the scam baits (in Nigeria) and it had me in tears as it was sooooooo hilarious

Biggsy
_______
my flickr
15-07-2012, 11:26   #15
PlayStation

Total Posts: 753
haha phonejacker springs to mind.

"sir if i could just have your account number and sort code, then we can wire da monies straight to your bank account"
_______
SONY.MAKE.BELIEVE

bring on btcc 2014
15-07-2012, 15:27   #16
shane39
Account Closed

Total Posts: 3,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by sand_dollars View Post
I did that once I was feeling rather Bitchy that day
Typical Rotherham bird..
Reply To Topic