Sheffield Forum

Door to door charity collectors - acceptable hours?

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield News & Discussions

Reply To Topic

19-06-2012, 19:51   #1
bluecanary

Total Posts: 775
A warning to those in the Walkley area - I've just had a collector for a well known charity hammering on my door at almost 8.45pm. With a toddler and a baby (only just) asleep in the house, I was not at all impressed. To his credit, the young man did leave quickly once I explained the situation.

Has anyone else had this? I can't believe that the charity in question is going to attract much support from people being harassed in their homes in the evenings (particularly during an England match!) - or am I just being over sensitive? I do give to charities regularly, but I prefer to make my own decision to do so without being bothered on my own doorstep!
19-06-2012, 20:04   #2
Muddergoose

Total Posts: 26
I don't appreciate people knocking on my door trying to sell stuff or collecting for charity at any time let alone late in the evenings so you're not alone. A couple of years ago I had a similar caller, it was almost dark and a horrible winters night tipping down with rain. I felt kind of sorry for the girl who (as I thought) was braving a dark, rainy night to support a good cause. As a rule I will never sign up to anything on the door step so I took some info from her to consider but still slightly hacked off at the late hour she called at, I decided to ring the charity to complain ..... only to be told that it was an agency they pay to solicit funding on their behalf and the agency were breaking their agreement with the charity doorstepping so late in the evening. Now I give short shrift to anyone doing similar - i'll choose who I give my hard earned cash to - when it suits me.
19-06-2012, 20:05   #3
alisonmanic

Total Posts: 3,335
We've had them as late as 9pm before. I find no hours as acceptable hours to be perfectly honest. I donate to the charaties I want to, not to be interupted at home by the doorstep ones. I don't trust most of the doorstep charity collectors either so..

I should note we have the yellow sticker on the door, the police one AND a notice we made ourselves. They don't take any notice.
_______
Armchair Owl
19-06-2012, 20:05   #4
Ducky1

Total Posts: 927
I'm not bothered about the football but think this time of night is unacceptable, if i want to donate i will do so in my own time and to who i want without being pestered.
19-06-2012, 20:17   #5
amy 20

Total Posts: 370
Was this the British Heart Foundation ? I had them yesterday at 7.20pm. They were doing this last year as a family member had them at a similar time as the op of around 8.30pm. You shouldnt really get anything after 5pm.
19-06-2012, 20:22   #6
curriechick

Total Posts: 27,326
We had callers from one well know charity call one night at 9.30. It was winter time and dark and I had not been well the previous night so had not slept well and we decided to have an early night and a read. We had switched everything off downstairs and I was half way up stairs and MrC just ready to come up when the doorbell rang and it was a charity collector, they must have seen the house was in darkness apart from the hallway and landing light when they rang.

To say MrC wasn't happy was an understatement, and the caller left pretty quickly.
19-06-2012, 20:23   #7
bluecanary

Total Posts: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by amy 20 View Post
Was this the British Heart Foundation ? I had them yesterday at 7.20pm. They were doing this last year as a family member had them at a similar time as the op of around 8.30pm. You shouldnt really get anything after 5pm.
Yes, it was BHF. Can't believe they would sanction door stepping at this time!
Sponsored Links
19-06-2012, 20:30   #8
Eckolad

Total Posts: 1,806
It wouldnt have been the charity though

Would have been one of those tin pot marketing agencies who are always advertising saying "10 customer services positions and sales starting tommorrow"
19-06-2012, 20:37   #9
Bloomdido
Account Closed

Total Posts: 7,710
They are not from the 'Charity', they are from a company that represents the Charity. Workers adopt a charity for several weeks and then move on to a different charity. I am told that some charities raise 80% of their income via door knocking.
19-06-2012, 20:38   #10
bigjoker

Total Posts: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecanary View Post
Yes, it was BHF. Can't believe they would sanction door stepping at this time!
Why not, they call at this time of night to catch the people who are out at work during the daytime, waste of time them knocking on a door during the day when no one is at home.
19-06-2012, 21:12   #11
cryptic1
Account Closed

Total Posts: 335
Try a door notice saying "There is a 20 charge for answering the door to unexpected callers".
If they knock demand the money before you let them talk.
20-06-2012, 00:38   #12
zippy

Total Posts: 1,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by amy 20 View Post
and what about households were there is no one in during the 'working day' ?

as distassteful, but necessary for recruiting donors, D2D is a blaance must be struck and to suggest that 8 or 9 pm is 'grossly unreasonable' isn't realistic , after 9pm now that is unaccptable, as would before 9am
20-06-2012, 09:29   #13
curriechick

My husband and I support two local charities, and will always pop money into collection boxes of different charities when out and about. I think most of us can make up our own minds who we contribute to and how we do it. We don't need these aggressive people jumping out at us in the shopping centre or knocking on the door.
20-06-2012, 10:40   #14
Babooshka

Total Posts: 2,506
I wonder how much they make from this particular method. I have had similar experiences late at night. I am also shocked by the way they try to extract the money, and the comments they make about recommending one stops giving money to another charity in order to give to theirs.

One woman was so vehemently set on getting my money, she just laughed at me when I said I didn't have a penny to give her. I asked her how she would find money available to donate to another charity after she had paid 8k in university fees, and thousands of pounds in legal fees, following a nasty familial split, when only working on a part-time basis, and having to raise a child on one's own.

At this point, she did shut up, but did make the comment that perhaps I would give when my situation improved.

I can't believe the nerve of some people. I know they have to raise the cash, but there are ways and means of doing so, and p***ing off the people from whom you are trying to obtain the money, is not a good way to do it.
_______
'The dead know something we don't, although they keep it to themselves'.
20-06-2012, 10:45   #15
curriechick

I am loath to give my bank details to a perfect stranger on my doorstep or on the street, but I did once ask them to give me the necessary forms and I would set up a direct debit at my bank. They are "not allowed" to do that, surely if the charity genuinely wants your money they wouldn't mind who set up the direct debit as long as they got it?
20-06-2012, 11:46   #16
Resident

Total Posts: 3,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by curriechick View Post
I am loath to give my bank details to a perfect stranger on my doorstep or on the street, but I did once ask them to give me the necessary forms and I would set up a direct debit at my bank. They are "not allowed" to do that, surely if the charity genuinely wants your money they wouldn't mind who set up the direct debit as long as they got it?
I suspect they work on commission per completed 'transaction'.

If you take the form from them and do it all yourself, they have no proof for their boss that you've signed up so they then don't get paid.
_______
As a child I had an imaginary friend, then I grew up and stopped going to church.
20-06-2012, 12:27   #17
aidy

Total Posts: 257
I have experience in working in this sector. Basically the guys who turn up on your doorstep are employed by an outside agency that each individual charity uses. Charities would set aside some of their budget to fund the door to door people. They tend to work from 2pm till late and get paid an hourly rate of 7 plus a bonus if they acheive a certain number of sign-ups per week.
20-06-2012, 17:49   #18
zippy

Total Posts: 1,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloomdido View Post
They are not from the 'Charity', they are from a company that represents the Charity. Workers adopt a charity for several weeks and then move on to a different charity. I am told that some charities raise 80% of their income via door knocking.
and contrary to popular belief if you continue to give beyond a year or so almost all the money goes to the charity in question.
21-06-2012, 10:25   #19
landi

Total Posts: 322
If you want to donate to the BHF pop into the shop in town and make your donation that way you know your money is going to the charity
_______
Martin Land Plumbing & Plastering Services
www.martinlandplumbing.co.uk
21-06-2012, 10:34   #20
tinfoilhat

Total Posts: 7,064
I'm amazed some people feel the need to justify themselves or even have rows with these doorstepper vultures. If you have no intention of donating to anybody who turns up on your doorstep just say no thanks and close the door. They aren't going to hassle you or start banging on your windows, just try next door.
_______
If you don't stand for something you'll fall for anything.
Reply To Topic