Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Smoke coming from car bonnet

Home > General > General Discussions

Reply To Topic

13-06-2012, 12:18   #1
jasmineamber

Total Posts: 37
This past wk I've noticed abit of smoke coming from under drivers side of bonnet of my car when I pull up as if somethings overheating. Well this morning I've got to work which is only 2.5 miles and it was quite bad so now I am panicking about it. It is an old car, only had its test last month though. Why is it only on one side? Any ideas what it is? Getting rid of it in a couple of months so if its something major then its not worth it but need to keep this on road until then.
13-06-2012, 12:25   #2
fozzybear210

Total Posts: 777
Is it smoke or steam? If its only on one side, it's more likely steam escaping from the water tank. The car could be overheating due to a faulty water bottle cap not letting the pressure out properly. Keep an eye out for the car overheating and water level. It is not letting the pressure out properly so the water is boiling itself. Try and get a new cap and see if that helps.
_______
You're boring me to death and I'm already dead....................you're boring me BACK to death.
13-06-2012, 12:27   #3
ratter71

Total Posts: 887
What car is it? Does it have an auxiliary heater ie webasto, eberspacher?
_______
My sig has been stolen!
13-06-2012, 12:39   #4
jasmineamber

Thanks for replying. It can't be the water as its on other side and it has happened in the past when the lid wasn't on right so I know it isn't that. Its a ford ka, could it be the thermostat? Someone did have a quick look the other day and said it probably all the dried oil etc and the car does have afew leaks.
13-06-2012, 12:40   #5
barleycorn

Total Posts: 3,918
Have you tried opening the bonnet and seeing where the smoke/steam is coming from? That might give you a hint as to the cause.

jb
_______
Reality is not based on definitions or word associations or quotes from a book. Reality is what you have after all the books have been put away and you keep your mouth shut. You don't need language to know reality. Anything that requires language to make itself known is not reality but the artifice of words, simply word associations, predicates on paper that can nowhere else be seen.
13-06-2012, 12:46   #6
jasmineamber

I will have to have a look when I get home as still at work. Just didn't want to get burnt! Just really worried
!
13-06-2012, 12:52   #7
barleycorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmineamber View Post
I will have to have a look when I get home as still at work. Just didn't want to get burnt! Just really worried
!
Yeah, be careful you don't scald yourself on the steam.

jb
_______
Reality is not based on definitions or word associations or quotes from a book. Reality is what you have after all the books have been put away and you keep your mouth shut. You don't need language to know reality. Anything that requires language to make itself known is not reality but the artifice of words, simply word associations, predicates on paper that can nowhere else be seen.
13-06-2012, 12:54   #8
jasmineamber

I just hope it is steam lol!
13-06-2012, 12:58   #9
gluedtopc

Total Posts: 758
I had a similar problem a few weeks ago. Turned out the rocker box gasket had gone and oil had seeped onto the exhaust manifold and was burning off. Similar thing happens if you top up your oil and spill it on to the engine.
13-06-2012, 13:03   #10
jasmineamber

That does sound about right as there's loads of dried oil round rocker gasket where its split over but its been like that since I had it so why is it suddenly doing this? As long as its not dangerous that's what I'm bothered about.
13-06-2012, 13:13   #11
Snook
Misanthrope

Total Posts: 6,196
Quote:
Thanks for replying. It can't be the water as its on other side and it has happened in the past when the lid wasn't on right so I know it isn't that. Its a ford ka, could it be the thermostat? Someone did have a quick look the other day and said it probably all the dried oil etc and the car does have afew leaks.
Just because the water bottle is on the other side means nothing. It could still be a leak in the water system, a tear in a pipe or something similar. Is there any water leaking out underneath, have you checked the levels? Is there a hiss?

If it is smoke it is more worrying, especially on such a short journey.
13-06-2012, 13:14   #12
alchresearch

Total Posts: 25,665
Send a message via Yahoo to alchresearch
It could be a dozen things. Until the OP can lift the bonnet and post up a picture of where the smoke / steam is coming from its pointless speculating.
13-06-2012, 17:52   #13
jasmineamber

just had a look under the bonnet and managed to see where it is coming from. I have have took a photo but dont know how to get it on here. I dont hardly know my way around the underneath of the bonnet so i will try and explain best i can.

The part underneath where the rocker gasket is theres a part where 4 pipes are attached. Well water(i think or liquid had build around the bottom of the one furthest to the drivers side and was bubbling away and thats where the smoke/steam was coming from. Could that pipe be leaking, whats it for?

PLEASE HELP!
13-06-2012, 18:27   #14
Owethemnowt

Total Posts: 603
Its not too bad if it's steam as smoking damages your health. Then again the steam could be expensive and damage your wealth.

Are you sue your not driving a deep fat fryer? They can smoke.
13-06-2012, 18:46   #15
Kerrangaroo

Total Posts: 1,721
Check there are no illegals clinging to the exhaust pipe.
14-06-2012, 09:22   #16
barleycorn

From this pic, where is the leak.

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_...0006_large.jpg

jb
_______
14-06-2012, 09:27   #17
Cyclone

Total Posts: 54,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by barleycorn View Post
Have you tried opening the bonnet and seeing where the smoke/steam is coming from? That might give you a hint as to the cause.

jb
This is what I was thinking. Surely looking is going to be more help than some guesses on a forum!
_______
Ask yourself, what would Chuck Norris do?
14-06-2012, 09:31   #18
alchresearch

Total Posts: 25,665
Send a message via Yahoo to alchresearch
Quote:
just had a look under the bonnet and managed to see where it is coming from. I have have took a photo but dont know how to get it on here.
Upload it here for free:

http://imageshack.us/
14-06-2012, 15:02   #19
jasmineamber

it is the spark plug nearest to the drivers side where water or some kind of liquid had built up plus dried oil etc. Cleaned it all out and this morning it wasn't as bad at all. I did it slightly but not half as such. I'm hoping that's all it is.
14-06-2012, 20:51   #20
jasmineamber

It did it again when I got home today so I had a look and water had started to build up again. Looks like it is a leak somewhere so gunna have to get it to a garage on saturday. Anybody know how hard a job it will be and how much its likely to be?
Reply To Topic