Sheffield Forum
Your message here

How high can my neighbour build his fence?

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield Property & Housing

Reply To Topic

12-06-2012, 19:34   #1
Snowbird

Total Posts: 234
My neighbour has just erected something that looks like the Berlin wall! He said he was putting up a 6 foot fence but this towers above the roof of his shed and made out of concrete and timber looks a total eye sore. It is only a small garden to start with so I feel totally imprisoned. Isn't there regulations about the height of fences? We are in council property but my neighbour has bought his. I have searched on Google but can't find anything helpfull
12-06-2012, 19:44   #2
mafya

Total Posts: 5,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbird View Post
My neighbour has just erected something that looks like the Berlin wall! He said he was putting up a 6 foot fence but this towers above the roof of his shed and made out of concrete and timber looks a total eye sore. It is only a small garden to start with so I feel totally imprisoned. Isn't there regulations about the height of fences? We are in council property but my neighbour has bought his. I have searched on Google but can't find anything helpfull
Im sure 2m is the maximum allowed before you need planning permission.
12-06-2012, 19:54   #3
dan2802

Total Posts: 3,525
Send a message via Skype™ to dan2802
Correct. 2m+ would require planning permission.
13-06-2012, 08:39   #4
Bilge

Total Posts: 1,461
2m is allowed but it's not always appropriate. I think when gardens are very narrow (eg in many terraced house back gardens) then this is too high as it leaves all or most of one garden in total shade. OK if it's your garden and you're not bothered about losing the light, maybe a bit thoughtless if it's your neighbours lawn/flowers/patio you are darkening.
_______
Signatures get a bit tedious after a bit.
13-06-2012, 09:00   #5
Strix

Total Posts: 32,523
Certain properties are subject to covenants too, so it could be that there is a stipulation for a fence no higher than e.g. 4ft, but you may need a solicitor to dig into this for you

if you have contents insurance, read the small print - you may have access to a free legal advice line
13-06-2012, 14:07   #6
Jeffrey Shaw
Mr

Total Posts: 11,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan2802 View Post
Correct. 2m+ would require planning permission.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge View Post
2m is allowed but it's not always appropriate. I think when gardens are very narrow (eg in many terraced house back gardens) then this is too high as it leaves all or most of one garden in total shade. OK if it's your garden and you're not bothered about losing the light, maybe a bit thoughtless if it's your neighbours lawn/flowers/patio you are darkening.
The height also depends on the respective ground levels of OP's property and the neighbour's.
_______
JEFFREY SHAW
Solicitor with Nether Edge Law
Contact me on jss@netheredgelaw.co.uk
13-06-2012, 14:08   #7
Jeffrey Shaw
Mr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strix View Post
Certain properties are subject to covenants too, so it could be that there is a stipulation for a fence no higher than e.g. 4ft, but you may need a solicitor to dig into this for you.
Yes, or look at:
a. HMLR title entries; and/or
b. the lease [if OP's house is leasehold].
_______
JEFFREY SHAW
Sponsored Links
13-06-2012, 14:36   #8
willman
WYSIWYG

Total Posts: 17,926
Send a message via ICQ to willman Send a message via MSN to willman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Shaw View Post
The height also depends on the respective ground levels of OP's property and the neighbour's.
This could have been an issue at my home,but my neighbours aren't bothered.
For my connected neighbour to have a six foot fence we had to use 12foot concrete posts and 2 foot of gravel boards when viewed from my garden(we then had trellis on top).
The next neighbour below us consequently has to look at a six foot fence built on top of a 5 foot high retaining wall,between properties.
13-06-2012, 14:44   #9
LNRV

Total Posts: 1,152
Do you know if you are allowed to erect a fence on the front of your house in between houses?
13-06-2012, 14:45   #10
Jeffrey Shaw
Mr

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNRV View Post
Do you know if you are allowed to erect a fence on the front of your house in between houses?
Yes, subject to its height and to anything in title deeds that might restrict/prohibit it.
_______
JEFFREY SHAW
13-06-2012, 14:46   #11
willman
WYSIWYG

Quote:
It depends,an estate close to mine have to keep all front gardens open plan(they are leasehold properties) we're a 100 yards away an nearly all of us have walls or fences(freehold).
13-06-2012, 14:54   #12
LNRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by willman View Post
It depends,an estate close to mine have to keep all front gardens open plan(they are leasehold properties) we're a 100 yards away an nearly all of us have walls or fences(freehold).
Where abouts do you live? We are thinking down the sides not the front, just to have side fences?
13-06-2012, 15:08   #13
willman
WYSIWYG

Quote:
Where abouts do you live? We are thinking down the sides not the front, just to have side fences?
I live in Killamarsh. As Jeffrey said,these properties have in writing they are not allowed to build fences or walls on the front or between the houses.
I don't know if its the deeds or in the leasehold,but my daughter was told the leaseholders do check and will enforce the legalities.
13-06-2012, 15:13   #14
LNRV

Quote:
I live in Killamarsh. As Jeffrey said,these properties have in writing they are not allowed to build fences or walls on the front or between the houses.
I don't know if its the deeds or in the leasehold,but my daughter was told the leaseholders do check and will enforce the legalities.
We have freehold property and the neighbour next door has 6ft + high conifers down both sides of his
13-06-2012, 16:21   #15
Jeffrey Shaw
Mr

Quote:
I don't know if its the deeds or in the leasehold,but my daughter was told the leaseholders** do check and will enforce the legalities.
** No, you mean 'the freeholders'. You are the leaseholders; you hold the lease.
_______
JEFFREY SHAW
13-06-2012, 16:23   #16
Jeffrey Shaw
Mr

Quote:
We have freehold property and the neighbour next door has 6ft + high conifers down both sides of his
There are extra (newish) Planning rules about tall trees and high hedges.
See http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndC...er/DG_10029999.
_______
JEFFREY SHAW
13-06-2012, 16:32   #17
willman
WYSIWYG

Quote:
** No, you mean 'the freeholders'. You are the leaseholders; you hold the lease.
Well you know what i meant
13-06-2012, 17:45   #18
patricia.72

Total Posts: 146
i applied to council they told me if its 3 metres from a kerb its allowed 2 meters high
14-06-2012, 07:31   #19
Ms Macbeth
Baby boomer

Admin Team
Total Posts: 16,227
Quote:
I didn't know that, but when we had to replace a six foot fence between our garden and the one next door that is on the same level we had another 6ft high fence built. However, on the other side, the ground drops about 3 or 4 feet, so we replaced the existing 6ft one with one of around 4ft. Much more pleasant for those neighbours. And it cost us less

Before we did anything, we spoke to the neighbours on both sides to let them know our intentions and to make sure they were fine with them. If the people with the lower garden had wanted a toweringly high fence again, we'd have obliged. Fortunately they preferred a lower one there too.
_______
Health is the greatest gift,
contentment the greatest wealth,
faithfulness the best relationship.

Buddha

Last edited by Ms Macbeth; 14-06-2012 at 07:34.
14-06-2012, 10:55   #20
Jeffrey Shaw
Mr

Yes. Also beware of the Party Wall etc. Act 1996 http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1996/40/contents

NB Its title is very misleading. It's not limited to walls nor to party structures!
A better title would have been the Boundary Structures Act.
_______
JEFFREY SHAW
Reply To Topic