Can you believe he tried to get out of a ban until sentancing due to commitments, including charity work? Laughable. He can afford a chauffeur. There is no way he should be allowed behind a wheel again. Feel sorry for his kids if (but hope it's when) he goes to jail, but he didn't think of them while he was putting his and other lives at risk
This is fom the Sheffield Star.
Naz faces jail threat
WORLD boxing legend 'Prince' Naseem Hamed has been told he could face jail after pleading guilty suddenly this morning to dangerous driving.
The 32-year-old was banned from the roads until at least May, when he will be sentenced for his involvement in a horror crash which left a Sheffield man fighting for his life.
The former featherweight champ unexpectedly entered a guilty plea this morning, to a packed courtroom at Sheffield Crown Court.
Naz - wearing a grey knee-length jacket - spoke only to confirm his name and his guilty plea.
He was given conditional bail and told not to get behind the wheel of another vehicle until he is sentenced on May 12.
The Recorder of Sheffield Judge Alan Goldsack QC told him he would be given credit for his guilty plea - but warned him the fact he was given bail was not an indication he would not be jailed.
The £20 million Sheffield-born star, of Wyvern Gardens, Dore, was arrested last year after his £313,000 sports car with personalised number plate was involved in a crash with two other vehicles.
The three-seater Mercedes SLR crashed head-on with a VW Golf travelling in the opposite direction on Ringinglow Road in Sheffield last May.
Parts of the Mercedes and the VW Golf were strewn for 50 yards along the road between Wigley Farm and Firs Farm.
The driver of the Golf - Anthony Burgin, of Hill Top, near Bents Green - was airlifted to hospital, underwent surgery, and spent time in intensive care.
The court heard the 39-year-old underwent yet another operation on his injuries yesterday, and so was unable to attend today's hearing.
But the court was told he was hoping to be well enough to attend court in May to see Naz sentenced.
Mr Burgin's family laughed out loud from the crowded public gallery as Naseem's barrister Martin Sharpe asked the court not to impose a driving ban between now and the sentencing. He said: "He has a number of commitments in the interim which require him to drive, not for his own benefit - for charity."
But, imposing a ban, the judge replied: "He can perhaps afford a chauffeur if he needs it."
The case was adjourned for pre-sentence reports.
Naseem's wife Eleasha is expecting a baby in the summer.
The couple have two sons - Sami Naseem, seven, and Aadam, five.
The boxer, who first climbed into the ring as a boy at Brendan Ingle's gym in Wincobank and was awarded an MBE in 1999, has said he is planning a career comeback.
Mr Ingle, who guided Naz to his early boxing success, said today: "Everybody, no matter who they are, has to suffer the consequences if they do something wrong.
"When you are a teenager, sometimes things happen, but when you become an adult you are responsible for your own actions.
"If Naz was driving dangerously, which he has pleaded guilty to, he has to take the consequences."
31 March 2006