Man Complains About " Racist"Primark T-Shirt

A Sheffield man has complained to Primark about a t-shirt that has some words from a nursery rhyme printed on it , claiming it is " Racist and Offensive" because someone in an American TV show used the same words in a different context .

He said He said: "We were shocked when we came face to face with a new t-shirt with a racially explicit graphic and text.

this bloke who`s complained really needs to get a life . Obviously a raving mad leftie.

There is nothing printed on that T-shirt that is offensive, nothing at all .

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/primark-pulls-shocking-and-racist-walking-dead-t-shirt-from-stores-after-sheffield-man-s-angry-complaint-1-8400872

Edited by Penistone999

A Sheffield man has complained to Primark about a t-shirt that has some words from a nursery rhyme printed on it , claiming it is " Racist and Offensive" because someone in an American TV show used the same words in a different context .

He said He said: "We were shocked when we came face to face with a new t-shirt with a racially explicit graphic and text.

this bloke who`s complained really needs to get a life . Obviously a raving mad leftie.

There is nothing printed on that T-shirt that is offensive, nothing at all .

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/primark-pulls-shocking-and-racist-walking-dead-t-shirt-from-stores-after-sheffield-man-s-angry-complaint-1-8400872

But he doesn't find it "racist and offensive because someone in an American TV show used the same words in a different context ."

The article you linked to says:

"He said: "The slogan is “Eeeny meenie miny moe…..” It stops there, but of course we all know what the original said: “catch a n***** by his toe." "The graphic has a large American baseball bat, wrapped round with barbed wire, and covered with blood. This image relates directly to the practice of assaulting black people in America."

Edited by Eddie_shef
Trying to make it better.

But he doesn't find it "racist and offensive because someone in an American TV show used the same words in a different context ."

"He said: "The slogan is “Eeeny meenie miny moe…..” It stops there, but of course we all know what the original said: “catch a n***** by his toe." "The graphic has a large American baseball bat, wrapped round with barbed wire, and covered with blood. This image relates directly to the practice of assaulting black people in America."

What a load of old rot, it's a cynical The Walking Dead cash in.

Maybe, but according to the article he doesn't find it racist and offensive for the reason stated by the OP.

I'm not one to jump to accuse people for being overly sensitive, but I think that this is the case here. There is no reason why this item of clothing should be seen as offensive.

There are many many variations of the rhyme eenie meanie miny moe, and it is still widely used today by many many children. The fact that one version contains a word that is now racist does not mean that the rhyme can never be uttered.

The imagery on the t-shirt has absolutely nothing to do with 'assaulting black people in America' but relates directly to a scene in the Walking Dead where this rhyme was used.

He must move in different circles i've never heard the N word in this rhyme ever in all my life.

We used to say catch a piggy by its toe.

---------- Post added 21-02-2017 at 14:19 ----------

But that could also be classed as racist. ??? :)

He must move in different circles i've never heard the N word in this rhyme ever in all my life.

I think the version I grew up with used baby.

I'm left wing and consider myself a liberal. I do not find the shirt offensive, there is nothing racist about it. He has managed to get offend by nothing. Yes complain about genuine racism - there is enough of it. Perhaps he has never heard some of the vile drivel I have, maybe he should get out more or maybe less come to think of it I think the shock would kill him.

Correct as in the Walking Dead Negan says the rhyme just before using the baseball bat. He didn't use the N word either although I admit thats how it was said when I was a child.

Eeny meeny miny mo

Sit the baby on the po

When he's done

wipe his bum

Eeny meeny miny mo.

That's how i remember it at school in the 80's..

It had to happened, I agree with Penistone999 on SF without being sarcastic, ironic or with caveats.