Job hunting / job market

I am working at present, but that could change soon (my choice). Has I have been with the same employee for a long time, I have lost sight of the current job market. Fortunately i have got myself into a position where I don't have to chase the money.

I am currently in IT but don't necessarily want to continue with that. In fact I have an almost completely open mind barring sales.

Where do you go these days to get a job? Is it agencies first? Online sites? Is jobcentre still virtually useless?

Would it be a bad idea to leave a job these days? (even if for one reason or another you are not enjoying it anymore).

Never walk out of a job, until you have another to go too.

Never walk out of a job, until you have another to go too.

If you can afford it why not?

If you can afford it why not?

Because a future employer will not see this as a positive.

The only problem changing careers is that you're going to be competing for jobs with other candidates who might have a long history already working in that field.

That's why when you see these "dream jobs" in the news:

Puffins not PowerPoint as Farne Islands seeks new ranger

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-38770036

Someone very experienced gets it, even though the article states that they just want someone passionate.

Because a future employer will not see this as a positive.

Why? Wouldn't it be dependant on the reason the person left?

I am working at present, but that could change soon (my choice). Has I have been with the same employee for a long time, I have lost sight of the current job market. Fortunately i have got myself into a position where I don't have to chase the money.

I am currently in IT but don't necessarily want to continue with that. In fact I have an almost completely open mind barring sales.

Where do you go these days to get a job? Is it agencies first? Online sites? Is jobcentre still virtually useless?

Would it be a bad idea to leave a job these days? (even if for one reason or another you are not enjoying it anymore).

this is my first week back unemployed after being made redundent after almost 12 years in a job.

Its changed massively since i was last unemployed, i went to the job centre on monday to see what help or information i could get and i didnt get any further than the front desk, she sent me away telling me i had to sign up for jobseekers allowence online. (and doing thats taking an age, getting all the info and starting after saving, it saves and you enter a code to go back to it but it remembers your sessions and i needed to kepp messing about swapping browsers)

Jobwise, they dont have those big machine things what i saw (from the front desk) where you search for jobs, but as i got sent away not sure how they expect you to look now.

Ive been looking, theres also a few jobsites where you upload your cv to.....ive got a list somebody sent me of quite a few jobsites, i can pm you them if you want?

Good luck

Another one. Does anyone think they have the slightest chance if they don't have some sort of zoology qualification?

Chester Zoo has jobs going looking after giraffes and rhinos

http://www.chesterchronicle.co.uk/news/chester-cheshire-news/chester-zoo-jobs-going-looking-12568806

this is my first week back unemployed after being made redundent after almost 12 years in a job.

Its changed massively since i was last unemployed, i went to the job centre on monday to see what help or information i could get and i didnt get any further than the front desk, she sent me away telling me i had to sign up for jobseekers allowence online. (and doing thats taking an age, getting all the info and starting after saving, it saves and you enter a code to go back to it but it remembers your sessions and i needed to kepp messing about swapping browsers)

Jobwise, they dont have those big machine things what i saw (from the front desk) where you search for jobs, but as i got sent away not sure how they expect you to look now.

Ive been looking, theres also a few jobsites where you upload your cv to.....ive got a list somebody sent me of quite a few jobsites, i can pm you them if you want?

Good luck

Thanks for the reply MtB. I have checked out a few websites and found they are very repetitive. I would be interested how you fare with jobcentre when you get access but I wouldn't expect too much.

I suspect agencies may be the best bet for a quick return.

I am getting to age 55 which opens up other options and will be quite selective in what i choose to do.

Good luck with your searching.

Good luck

i hope your unemployment is short lived and you get back into work soon :thumbsup: i hope the experience you are now going to endure will give you an insight into how crazy this system now is and how you can easily become sanctioned. why some people think its an easy life living on the dole beats me :roll: anyway good luck with the job hunting mel and let u know how you get on

Most IT firms (such as the one I work for) exclusively use agencies and accept that paying commission is worth it against fielding candidates yourself.

It's not a bad idea to leave a job, you aren't going to be vilified in an interview for saying you left the previous role for something new unless you have a CV full of annual job changes which then raises alarm bells. No employer wants to spend time and effort making a new employee one of the team for them to bail after six months.

Most IT firms (such as the one I work for) exclusively use agencies and accept that paying commission is worth it against fielding candidates yourself.

It's not a bad idea to leave a job, you aren't going to be vilified in an interview for saying you left the previous role for something new unless you have a CV full of annual job changes which then raises alarm bells. No employer wants to spend time and effort making a new employee one of the team for them to bail after six months.

I have been with the same employer for 28 years and have done a number of roles for them, the latest being IT technician (5 years). I have also got external accreditation to go with the experience.

What I don't want to do is jump out of the frying pan into the fire, so to speak. I am really looking for a Mon - Fri job now, although i would be prepared to work outside those times on an occasional basis. I suspect that's not what most IT firms want?? but I am assuming that.