Can you be clamped/fined for expired MOT?

Yes, I saw it happen only late last year approx 20 yards from my house on the main street in crookes. Van pulled up, guy got out and clamped the car. A man came along and they had a chat. Thats All I saw as I passed to and from the shops. The car was still there, clamped a few days later.

So how did you see that it was clamped due to having no MOT? :confused:

More likely it was untaxed.

You do need valid insurance when applying for vehicle tax and it is checked.

You are insured if you have paid your policy and the insurer is specifically prohibited from not honouring insurance if the MOT or tax expires - see the road traffic act.

Insurance is not now checked at the point of taxation.Please check with the DVLA and then I will be happy to accept your apology.

Insurance is not now checked at the point of taxation.Please check with the DVLA and then I will be happy to accept your apology.

Yes it is. You have to have continuos insurance OR be declared SORN.

When you tax your vehicle you dont have to show the certificate but they will check it as the following press release states.

"The Government’s Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) said: ‘Motorists will no longer have to search for their insurance certificates when they tax their cars.

‘They will still have to have valid insurance but they won’t be asked to show it.’

Police and the authorities can now make automatic online checks on whether a car is covered by cross-referencing the vehicle’s number plate with the DVLA and insurance industry databases.

This means they already know if a driver has insurance or not. So there’s no longer a need to make people dig around for bits of paper to prove they have insurance. The changes apply whichever way you buy your tax discs - whether at a Post Office or online via the DVLA."

I await your apology

Did you even read the OP. It's to be left parked outside the garage after failing the MOT. So even in your nit picking world, it won't have been driven on the road whilst unroadworthy will it. :huh:

Sorry, did the OP say it was on private land, this whole this is a waste of time ;)

Yes it is. You have to have continuos insurance OR be declared SORN.

When you tax your vehicle you dont have to show the certificate but they will check it as the following press release states.

"The Government’s Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) said: ‘Motorists will no longer have to search for their insurance certificates when they tax their cars.

‘They will still have to have valid insurance but they won’t be asked to show it.’

Police and the authorities can now make automatic online checks on whether a car is covered by cross-referencing the vehicle’s number plate with the DVLA and insurance industry databases.

This means they already know if a driver has insurance or not. So there’s no longer a need to make people dig around for bits of paper to prove they have insurance. The changes apply whichever way you buy your tax discs - whether at a Post Office or online via the DVLA."

I await your apology

Hi Obelix.Yes I have seen this press release,however I wrote to the dvla concerning this matter.I told them I was buying another car and whilst I could ring up my insurance company and obtain immediate insurance it would probably take about 10 days for the certificate to arrive, and from past experience Iknew it sometimes took the insurance company a fortnight to put it on the database so would I have to sorn the car untill I had proof of insurance.They wrote back saying that insurance checks were no longer made at the point of taxation,.I tried it out and taxed it before I insured it (it showed as uninsured on the database),I had no problems getting the tax.Check with the dvla or have a look on gov.uk,you will find out I am right.

That would be contrary to everything else publicly announced about the change.

The Government’s Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) said: ‘Motorists will no longer have to search for their insurance certificates when they tax their cars.

And the policy announcement on the .gov website is here

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/dvla-announce-plans-to-cut-red-tape-by-removing-insurance-check-when-taxing-a-vehicle

I'm sure that Obelix will accept your apology though.

---------- Post added 22-02-2017 at 20:31 ----------

Sorry, did the OP say it was on private land, this whole this is a waste of time ;)

No, they said on the street outside the garage.

Edited by Cyclone

To save me typing it all out again, I covered some if this, with appropriate links In this post last year.

To save me typing it all out again, I covered some if this, with appropriate links In this post last year.

Thanks Peak4,I have just checked your link and this explains it all,you don't need insurance to tax your car but you do to use it obviously.What I did to check this was, tax the car then ring the insurance company five minutes later.If the doubters E.Mail the dvla they will confirm this,there is also a pdf on gov uk.

Hi Obelix.Yes I have seen this press release,however I wrote to the dvla concerning this matter.I told them I was buying another car and whilst I could ring up my insurance company and obtain immediate insurance it would probably take about 10 days for the certificate to arrive, and from past experience Iknew it sometimes took the insurance company a fortnight to put it on the database so would I have to sorn the car untill I had proof of insurance.They wrote back saying that insurance checks were no longer made at the point of taxation,.I tried it out and taxed it before I insured it (it showed as uninsured on the database),I had no problems getting the tax.Check with the dvla or have a look on gov.uk,you will find out I am right.

No matter how much you think you are right you are still wrong.

The DVLA links put up and the process show abundantly clearly that there is an absolute requirement for the vehicle to be insured. I'm sorry if you find this tricky.

http://ask.co-opinsurance.co.uk/help/car_insurance/tax_without_cert

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/tax-insurance-and-warranties/2013-12/drivers-no-longer-need-to-show-insurance-certificate-to-get-road-tax/

https://www.directline.com/car-insurance/advice/motoring/renew-car-tax-online

In each case you will see that you dont have to take the insurance certtificate and in each case they check online instead to see if it's insured.

You are conflating "no certificated needed" and think that means "no check made". A check is made every single time, and of an MOT as well.

I'm certain I'm not going to get the apology - see if you hadn't demanded it from me I'd not go so far as to rub your nose in it. But if you want to have any dignity then please feel free to offer your apology for being wrong.

Obelix, yes there is a legal requirement for the vehicle to be insured under the CI rules.

However that responsibility to comply when applying for the VED, is placed upon the motorist; The DVLA will then do regular data scrapes to pick out, and write to, those who have failed in fulfilling their legal obligations.

I believe that the first contact is a reminder before prosecution is commenced.

From the second link I posted previously (on p6.)

Motorists will now be able to tax their vehicle at the

Post Office® without having to show any evidence they have insurance.

Furthermore, car tax applications made online will not be validated against

the MID before they can be accepted. (my emboldening)

i.e. it is cross checked, but not at the point of purchase of the VED, only subsequently.

(unless you're in Northern ireland, when I think you still need to produce an insurance certificate when buying VED at a Post office)

CIE gives DVLA the ability to identify each month those who keep

uninsured vehicles in a way previously not possible.

Edited by peak4

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/267400/Annex_A_-_consultation_responses_summary.pdf

It does seem like the check was removed.

So some of the DVLA pages are actually out of date when they refer to a check being done.

Obelix is right that there is a requirement for the vehicle to be insured, but there is no check done at the point of taxation by the look of it.