The Consequences of Brexit (part 2)

Guest sibon
Mr Farage was on Loose Women a couple of weeks ago and it was announced that possibly a film was to be made about him.

Was it this one?

How are we to tell when the brexiters are being ironic?

It is easy to tell when they are lying, their lips move.

But irony requires intellect, which is in short supply among the brexiters as far as is evident.

Been away for 2 weeks and you are still talking gibberish!

Been away for 2 weeks and you are still talking gibberish!

Where have you been, Spain? Like a good European hater.

My comment was quite succinct and to the point, no gibberish involved at all.

I`ve got a question for all the Brexiteers on here, after all you want us all to unite and go forward together....

When we leave the EU I can think of at least 3 or 4 ways*, mainly to do with travel, in which I`ll directly and objectively lose out. Can the Brexiteers on here come up with some objective ways in which I`ll directly gain something to compensate ?

If they can`t, why should they expect me, and others, to forget about it, respect it, to unite and go forward together ?

* No EHIC (European health insurance).

Reintroduction of customs limits on what you can bring in from the continent.

No right of abode in the EU and use of the (quicker) EU citizens passport control channels.

Devalued pound making imports, and travel abroad, much more expensive.

The word "experts" in the context of Brexit and politics in general is being used by Brexiters ironically/sarcastically. Of course they don't literally dismiss experts in general; I'd trust the experts to fix my car or remove my appendix for instance.

But you knew this already of course. ;)

Ah I see. So experts that you agree with even if they get it wrong occasionally are ok, but ones you don't agree with are to be ignored. I understand now. Thanks for clarifying.

Amusing that they'd trust a mechanic (who generally I wouldn't have called experts) but they'll dismiss the comments of people who are actually recognised as being at the top of their fields.

---------- Post added 23-02-2017 at 11:26 ----------

You're not seeing the plan to save the NHS being played out, kate ;)

(the alternative to expert healthcare is self-medication, and as we all know by now, Facebook and Tw@tter are the only reliable sources of information for expert-disbelievers...I for one am quite looking forward to the Darwin Awards in the coming years :twisted::hihi:)

Aren't many foreign health service experts (AKA Doctors) leaving or planning to leave the UK.

It's okay though, the brexiters won't want experts treating them, so that should leave enough experts in the NHS to continue to treat the remain voters.

Aren't many foreign health service experts (AKA Doctors) leaving or planning to leave the UK.
In the news today: 2 in 5, and 25% of the balance (3 in 5) are considering their options.

May & her 3 Brexiteers should have come off the fence sooner about settled EU immigrants. Too late now, damage is done.

And I daresay most people still haven't got a clue about how far-ranging the consequences of that damage will be.

They may still see EU immigrants, highly qualified and not, as tolerable inconveniences who should be grateful for the chance to work here and content with an eventual pat on the head.

They just can't comprehend the pragmatic 'flipside' view of any economic immigrant, that the UK is simply in competition with the rest of the world for providing opportunities and conditions that match their skillsets and life goals; nor comprehend that, in that context, the UK just gave itself a sell-by-date with Brexit.

Nothing personal about it, it's business.

Or rather, May and her Brexiteers chose to make it personal, prompting a business decision.

Same difference. Hey-ho.

Edited by L00b

It was really quite sad to see the sheep farmers on C4 news the other night. An industry that relies heavily on the EU both for subsidy and its market (96% of their exports are to the EU)

Asked why they almost universally voted for Brexit they kept saying that the government will see them right. I wish I shared their faith.

It was really quite sad to see the sheep farmers on C4 news the other night. An industry that relies heavily on the EU both for subsidy and its market (96% of their exports are to the EU)

Asked why they almost universally voted for Brexit they kept saying that the government will see them right. I wish I shared their faith.

They might "see them right", just like all the others who`ll lose out*, but there`ll be nothing left from the promised £350 million a week to give the NHS. In fact £350 million a week may well not cover it. But of one thing we can be 100% sure, the Brexiteers will not apologise or even admit they lied / grossly exaggerated. The thing is they`ll not be bothered, they got Brexit and everything else is subsidiary to that. If it were a GE they`d pay at the next one, but it`s a one off. Effectively they`ve cheated and they`ve won (albeit only just), and there`s no comeback on them. This is why I`m so mad about it, and my respect and faith in British Democracy is dead.

* As far as I`m aware the Govt has promised to compensate anyone who is worse off under Brexit (e.g. the farmers and Nissan). Is this right ?

---------- Post added 23-02-2017 at 13:01 ----------

I`ve got a question for all the Brexiteers on here, after all you want us all to unite and go forward together....

When we leave the EU I can think of at least 3 or 4 ways*, mainly to do with travel, in which I`ll directly and objectively lose out. Can the Brexiteers on here come up with some objective ways in which I`ll directly gain something to compensate ?

If they can`t, why should they expect me, and others, to forget about it, respect it, to unite and go forward together ?

No right of abode in the EU and use of the (quicker) EU citizens passport control channels.

I`m still waiting......

Edited by Justin Smith

They might "see them right", just like all the others who`ll lose out*, but there`ll be nothing left from the promised £350 million a week to give the NHS. In fact £350 million a week may well not cover it. But of one thing we can be 100% sure, the Brexiteers will not apologise or even admit they lied / grossly exaggerated. The thing is they`ll not be bothered, they got Brexit and everything else is subsidiary to that. If it were a GE they`d pay at the next one, but it`s a one off. Effectively they`ve cheated and they`ve won (albeit only just), and there`s no comeback on them. This is why I`m so mad about it, and my respect and faith in British Democracy is dead.

* As far as I`m aware the Govt has promised to compensate anyone who is worse off under Brexit (e.g. the farmers and Nissan). Is this right ?

---------- Post added 23-02-2017 at 13:01 ----------

I`m still waiting......

Britain paid into the EU more than it received. You know this full well ,it has been discussed at great length so why keep talking the same bull**** over and over?

You are jumping he gun. Negotiations are ongoing.

Britain paid into the EU more than it received. You know this full well ,it has been discussed at great length so why keep talking the same bull**** over and over?

In direct monetary terms only. You could say paying to join a local gym means you are paying more than you are getting back but you get to use the gym which saves buying and maintaining equipment at home for just one example. It's not a perfect analogy but it's not far wrong...the benefits of our EU membership were far greater than we paid in about £50m (not the £350m load of horse arse that was plastered on the bus) a week more than we took back in benefits and payouts, but the argument the remainers have is that we got over £50m worth of other benefits like enhanced trade, lower barriers to exports and imports and so on. It maybe that we can offset that benefit by going solo, I can't see how but Brexiters can.

Also, did you happen to attend the same school as Michael Gove because he has asked for all schools to be better than average. You seem to have fallen into the same trap thinking that all countries should get more in subsidies and payouts than were paid in. The EU is many things, but a money tree it isn't.