Advice Needed Regarding Pit Bull type dog

I'm afraid that you can never rehome a pitbull or one "of type" if you have legalised him, do you think that the dog is of type or just have suspicions that there may have been some pit in there somewhere in the past? no rescue centre can rehome a dog of type either.

If he is not particularly of type then just rehome as what he probably is...a staffy cross, always better to neuter anyway and be very careful who takes him as you dont want him to be used as a bait dog :(

Really as Medusa says is there a reason that he cannot be around Children? most staffy types are very good if introduced right, it isn't going to be easy to find the right home for him he would be safer where he is now.

Edited by Moonbird

If a rehoming centre knows he won't be good around Children they probably won't touch him either to be fair.

It's an illegal dog, it really angers me that people are still breeding and buying these dogs, and angers me even more when they're then trying to get rid of them at the drop of a hat!

I don't agree with BSL for one second for the record.

You obviously don't trust the dog to be anywhere near a child, it's illegal so who in their right mind is going to take it on? Apart from the fact that doing so would also be illegal.

If you really can't keep it, you should get it put down. Rescues are already full to busting of bull breeds, there are far too many dogs and not enough homes.

the dangerous dog act is not worth the paper its printed on. There are over 10,000+ pitbulls in the UK.

If the dog is a friendly dog then do your best to re-home it. I would rather trust a pitbull type dog with kids then jack russells, Yorkshire terriers etc.

Advice Needed Regarding Pit Bull type dog URGENT

My nephew has a Pit Bull type dog that he needs to rehome

Only options are to put him to sleep but do not want to do this

Does anyone please have any other suggestions ????

the bull terrier rescue will determin what the dog is and rehome it !

And the question still remains - why does the dog have to be rehomed because a pregnant girlfriend is moving in with the owner?

It is against the law to own, sell, breed or pass on in any way a pit bull type dog. A pit bull type dog is quite different from a Staffy type dog, which is what the rescue centres are full of. A rescue centre will not take a pit bull type dog as only persons with an exemption certificate can have a pit bull dog. There are very few resuce centres which have an exemption certificate. You will either have to keep the dog and apply for an exemption certificate yourself or have the dog put down, if it is in fact a pit bull type. An exemption certificate is issued by the court and is not a free process. SYP have a number of officers who are trained to recognise a pit bull type and will be able to offer you the best advice.

Hope this helps!

And the question still remains - why does the dog have to be rehomed because a pregnant girlfriend is moving in with the owner?

Baby in dog out ! That's usually how it goes . I came from a large family and we always had dogs in the house and guess what ? I still have all my brothers and sisters . The dogs didn't eat one of them :-)

Baby in dog out ! That's usually how it goes . I came from a large family and we always had dogs in the house and guess what ? I still have all my brothers and sisters . The dogs didn't eat one of them :-)

Exactly!!!

We were also brought up with dogs and all survived, I have a 3yr old American Bulldog we got him a year before my daughter was born and they are inseparable