Moving back from the US

Hi guys,

So I moved over to the US two years ago. But the wife and I are looking to move back to the UK later this year and we'll be moving back to Sheffield.

What I was wondering though was whether it's difficult to rent a place before we move over to the UK?

Ideally I'd like to sign a tenancy agreement a month or so before I arrive, so that we have a place waiting for us upon arrival. Has anyone heard of landlords/agencies doing this? Or if you're a landlord/agent, would you be willing to setup something along these lines?

For checking the place out I'd send my mother who is still in Sheffield.

Any advice you can give would be great. Or if there are any companies you know of that help with international moves.

Ta

Luke

As a Landlord, I would not do it. I feel many Landlords who like to operate above-board will be the same. So you might be best explaining your situation to a number of Agents who will be able to pre-check you, possibly?

The risks to the Landlord far outweigh any benefits here. It's still a Landlord's market and we have our choice of Tenants, usually - unless the property is some kind of dive, I guess. I wouldn't let property to someone I'd not met. I wouldn't let property to someone who'd never seen it and had sent someone else on their behalf. As I say, too many risks - even though I understand your predicament... and I'm the one handing over an asset worth many, many thousands of Pounds.

You may wish to consider getting your references lined-up. You may wish to consider any inducements you can offer - possibly paying the rent for the fixed term in one go, maybe an increased deposit - just to offset the idea of risk that may exist.

Good luck. It would be infinitely better to get yourself a temporary Sheffield base while you commence your search if it was a flyer. I expect you've considered that and ruled it out. Your last idea may well be the best - there's plenty.

If it's a problem then AirBnB for a couple of weeks till you can get the tenancy sorted out.

When you come to talking with letting agents make sure you ring and talk in person, if you e-mail over there's less chance they'll take you seriously.

Thanks guys.

Yeah getting references isn't a problem and I'd expect to give a higher deposit/multiple months up front in an arrangement like this.

Though I totally understand the concern landlords may have regarding renting a property to someone they haven't met.

Going to Sheffield ahead of time in a temporary accommodation isn't ideal, but if it's the only option then of course we'd need to do it.

The main reason we're keen to get something arranged beforehand is due to the shipment of our possessions from the US. Arranging for it to go to storage while we house hunt and then from storage to that property seems to be a bit of a logistical nightmare.

The main reason we're keen to get something arranged beforehand is due to the shipment of our possessions from the US. Arranging for it to go to storage while we house hunt and then from storage to that property seems to be a bit of a logistical nightmare.
We were in that exact same predicament when we travelled back from Ireland some years ago.

We used Britannia on Hellaby Industrial Estate (Rotherham east, literally 'on' jct 1 of the M18 ) and temp storage worked out fine in the end. We kept most of our stuff in there for a year and a bit whilst we were renting, until we found and bought a place of our own.

Edited by L00b

Im sure that you can get something sorted out. Maybe video calling the landlord. I don't see how that could be much different than seeing the tenant. You get to talk and see them on a screen. Im pretty sure most places would accept that. Many landlords are happy for agents to do most of the work, so you might be able to do it all through an agent.

Hi Luke

I think most franchised letting agents are unlikely to offer much help.

Your best bet would be to consider an independent Sheffield landlord or letting agent.

Might be worth investigating some of the landlords/agents who were recently recognised by the local council as being top notch.

http://www.sheffieldnewsroom.co.uk/landlordawards2017/