Claiming a strip of land

there is a strip of land at the side of my house which has been used for dog walkers getting to the wood behind. a couple of years ago I sent in a application for a extension to be built and enquired about this strip of land. the solictors letter came back saying the land was unregistered and I should put in a application to aquire this land so how do I go about doing this ?

I need to do this legally

They call it adverse possession and it will help you claim . I think if no one challenges you for 12 years then it is legally yours .

Maybe get some proper legal advice - not from the noddy know nowt on here

- there are a few lawyers on the forum but I don't know who would be the appropriate one to approach

They call it adverse possession and it will help you claim . I think if no one challenges you for 12 years then it is legally yours .

the solicitor couldn't find anybody/owner of this land so cant I just apply to the council/whoever and just claim the land now?

Just fence it off .

This is legal.

This is legal.

so if I fence it off and the dog walkers take it down where do I stand then

the solicitor couldn't find anybody/owner of this land so cant I just apply to the council/whoever and just claim the land now?

You will have to apply to the Land Registry after about 12 years . If you have already been maintaining the piece of land by cutting the grass , removing rubbish, etc then this may count towards the 12 year period . The main issue is about possessing the land which you need to do to have any chance of legal ownership .

The land is not registered by the council, but if they have been maintaining it, then they could do the same as I suggested you should do which is why if I was in your shoes I wouldn't contact them .

there is a strip of land at the side of my house which has been used for dog walkers getting to the wood behind. a couple of years ago I sent in a application for a extension to be built and enquired about this strip of land. the solictors letter came back saying the land was unregistered and I should put in a application to aquire this land so how do I go about doing this ?

I guess people may object if this path to the woods is the only path in the local area. How many use it?

It can be done ric and is not that hard,if this is not down as a footpath you will have no trouble.The people have no right of access so get your finger out and see a solicitor.The same thing happened at outibridge when building a house everyone used to cut across to the wood,they no longer can,they use the public footpath now.

I guess people may object if this path to the woods is the only path in the local area. How many use it?

that's just it thou the top of the path was fenced off years ago and it wasnt in use. then a few years ago some kids kicked the fence down and now this path is a throughfare for all the dog walkers in the area. further up the road there is a road partially built leading to the woods but this is gated and padlocked