Trick or Treat question.

It's one of the joys of living in a complex of flats....no trick or treaters :)

It's one of the joys of living in a complex of flats....no trick or treaters :)

Here here. All treats for me!

What's wrong with both?

Kids love to be out after dark with their parents and it doesn't happen that often. I love to see them in their little costumes all excited and having a great time. Half scared, half thrilled.

And still with Bonfire night and Christmas to look forward to...

What is wrong is that some people really don't care and are forced to change the way they go about things (hence the many disparate comments re. halloween on here).

I remember going out as a kid, in the Netherlands we have a medieval tradition called St. Maarten, the only reason I went out, despite being a (nominal, went to Catholic school) Catholic, was because I got free treats. I vividly remember tossing all the clementines in the bin 'silly people' and I don't remember what I learned from the whole charade other than that as a kid you can fatten up before Christmas.

My father in law in South Wales remembered going round the neighbourhood with other children at Whitsuntide to show off their new clothes. People would admire them and give them pennies 'for their holidays'.

If that tradition had continued, we'd be forking out at lot more often than once a year, wouldn't we!

If the parents are happy taking their kids door to door for sweets and sugary snacks without worrying about tooth decay and lard for one night of the year then I'm happy to provide them. Or at least I would be if I wasn't more of a 'release the hounds, Smithers' sort of person.

Give the kids a handful of treats for Halloween and let the parents take care of their teeth and waistline.

My granddaughter was lucky enough to get a big , giant pumpkin full of sweets off our lovely neighbours, and sensible enough to only eat 2 treats.

She doesn't have that much of a sweet tooth so they should last her til well after Christmas.

She loved the dressing up and whole Halloween experience,( all supervised by her aunty and myself.) As any 6 year old does.

Does anyone actually know what "Trick or Treat" means?

I have always wondered.

I grew up in an area where trick or treating meant 'give me something really good or I'm going to put all of your windows through with bricks' so I'm not a great fan of the whole thing.

These days we don't have to consider what to give children trick or treating though, because we've got a German Shepherd who likes to make sure that I know that there's someone approaching the front door. If they get as far as knocking they're never there when I go to answer it, so I guess that the children are put off by the 40kg of very noisy dog bouncing off the back of the front door :)

My Dad would not have let me go scrounging around, he would not even let me go guy fawking he thought it was begging,,he always said if you want anything come to me,don't go pestering people for money.he was and orphan as a kid and I think he thought it was like begging to him...

Yes it seems like begging to me. We iust stay in the back room with the lights off. They dare'nt go next door either because of the massive dog.

Did anyone opt for the threat of trick?

I grew up in an area where trick or treating meant 'give me something really good or I'm going to put all of your windows through with bricks' so I'm not a great fan of the whole thing.

These days we don't have to consider what to give children trick or treating though, because we've got a German Shepherd who likes to make sure that I know that there's someone approaching the front door. If they get as far as knocking they're never there when I go to answer it, so I guess that the children are put off by the 40kg of very noisy dog bouncing off the back of the front door :)

Is he available for hire? :)